Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 S 75D cruise control event

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Car has over 11K I drive it daily 50 mile round trip in Charlotte NC traffic. I use AP/cruise daily as it was the reason I purchased the car.

On July 4th at apprx 6:00PM I was travelling about 75mph on a clear stretch of Interstate 85 going south.

The cars were in front of me were not closer than ~200 or 300s yard. For no apparent reason the collision alarm started beeping and the car started braking very hard.

The car did this 10 or 15 minutes earlier but did not brake that hard and it did not beep the alarm. There were no bridges and this was a sunny afternoon.

I called the service center and asked them to review the logs for the July 4th. They said they could see when I disengaged the AP but not what set the alarm off.

I’m not sure what turned the AP/cruise control off. It was either me using the stalk or me hitting the accelerator.

Any other reports on this? Software is up to date 2018.24.1 12dd099

My EAP is break testing other traffic 3-4 times in 30 mile journey on the Dutch highways almost every time I drive it.

It did it also with the previous software. The SeC says they will plan a review of the car. Never heard from them since.
In the Dutch and Belgium section of the forum this appears to be a common habit of the car.

You are probably familiar with the term "ghost braking" by now, very annoying (and potentially dangerous) when it occurs. I've had it happened to me few days ago on 17-mile stretch of journey back home, on the very same road I use many times. One was in proximity of an overpass and most likely triggered by a car merging in front of my (my half-witted guess, no scientific evidence). The other one was when I was already on the straight-as-arrow exit lane and the only thing that could potentially freak the system out was the overhead traffic signage - there was no other visible "obstacle" anywhere near the car.

To add to the injury, I had worry- and incident-free experience with AP on our recent long road trip where I used it about 80-85% of the journey. Now having these 2 incidents in such a short span of time was rather unnerving and almost caught me off-guard. Go figure.

I hope the AP team does some further validation and eliminates these false-positives.

When you go to the Dutch website of Tesla you will get an explanation of the EAP, which I have, and what it can do in this video.
Tesla, IncよりAutopilot Full Self-Driving Hardware (Neighborhood Short) on Vimeo

Afterwards I was told this is how the self driving option would work.
In reality a car with EAP would crash on each crossroad and even the curvy road would make the car crash live with the current EAP.

An other irritating feature on the highway is when a car in front of you is changing to the right lane, the car is first slowing down before it's accelerating. You can imagine the reaction of other drivers when our first reaction to Elon's Mad Max and LA Freeway mode was that it would probably be a nice relaxed mode.

When you go to the Dutch website of Tesla you will get an explanation of the EAP, which I have, and what it can do in this video.
Tesla, IncよりAutopilot Full Self-Driving Hardware (Neighborhood Short) on Vimeo

Afterwards I was told this is how the self driving option would work.
In reality a car with EAP would crash on each crossroad and even the curvy road would make the car crash live with the current EAP.

An other irritating feature on the highway is when a car in front of you is changing to the right lane, the car is first slowing down before it's accelerating. You can imagine the reaction of other drivers when our first reaction to Elon's Mad Max and LA Freeway mode was that it would probably be a nice relaxed mode.

After purchasing my MS with eap I found on TMC that the promises on the Tesla site are exaggerated.
I love my MS but I dislike misinformation.
I hope that Tesla is honoring their promises.

I am the original poster.

The local Tesla service center called me back earlier in the week. She explained that the case was reviewed by Tesla in CA.
They found that a car was 99 meters ahead of us and had been slowing down for 45s. I was doing 72 mph and it braked to 47 before I either hit the accelerator or disengaged via the control stalk. I immediately tried to turn it off because I was not sure how close anyone was behind me.

I have had other auto braking incidents (2 or 3) but this was the first that the alarm went off. This needs to be fixed. In morning traffic it is liable to get me rear ended.

• Informative
Reactions: arcus
Car has over 11K I drive it daily 50 mile round trip in Charlotte NC traffic. I use AP/cruise daily as it was the reason I purchased the car.

On July 4th at apprx 6:00PM I was travelling about 75mph on a clear stretch of Interstate 85 going south.

The cars were in front of me were not closer than ~200 or 300s yard. For no apparent reason the collision alarm started beeping and the car started braking very hard.

The car did this 10 or 15 minutes earlier but did not brake that hard and it did not beep the alarm. There were no bridges and this was a sunny afternoon.

I called the service center and asked them to review the logs for the July 4th. They said they could see when I disengaged the AP but not what set the alarm off.

I’m not sure what turned the AP/cruise control off. It was either me using the stalk or me hitting the accelerator.

Any other reports on this? Software is up to date 2018.24.1 12dd099
Heading south in late evening with sun low, might have been direct sun on the camera lens causing loss of image.

When your heading south at 6PM the sun should be about in the west..
The sun is never due west anywhere north of 23N. The further north you go the more southerly it gets, until you reach the North Pole, at which point it’s due south.
Additionally, at noon (local time) the sun is due south, and moves toward the southwest until sunset, at which point it’s at its most westerly (but still south of west).
At 6pm in the US it would be about southwest, 45 degrees off south. If his “heading south” road had any curves, or wasn’t really dead south, he could be pointing directly at the sun at certain points, and at 6pm the sun would be fairly low.

The sun is never due west anywhere north of 23N. The further north you go the more southerly it gets, until you reach the North Pole, at which point it’s due south.
Additionally, at noon (local time) the sun is due south, and moves toward the southwest until sunset, at which point it’s at its most westerly (but still south of west).
At 6pm in the US it would be about southwest, 45 degrees off south. If his “heading south” road had any curves, or wasn’t really dead south, he could be pointing directly at the sun at certain points, and at 6pm the sun would be fairly low.

:D:D:D:D

You don't live in the northern hemisphere and perhaps it works differently in the southern hemisphere. It is summer in the northern hemisphere and if you live more north than 23N then you know that the sun is at 6pm west and goes later still further north before the sun goes down.
Where I live, 52N, now at about 10pm the sun goes down and this is somewhere in the NW.
at night it does not even get completely dark and the sun comes up again somewere in the NE.

In the winter it is different and at 4pm the sun goes under somewhere WSW.

(Think about it, when you are at the Artic in the summer the sun never goes down but turns around jou.);)

:D:D:D:D

You don't live in the northern hemisphere and perhaps it works differently in the southern hemisphere. It is summer in the northern hemisphere and if you live more north than 23N then you know that the sun is at 6pm west and goes later still further north before the sun goes down.
Where I live, 52N, now at about 10pm the sun goes down and this is somewhere in the NW.
at night it does not even get completely dark and the sun comes up again somewere in the NE.

In the winter it is different and at 4pm the sun goes under somewhere WSW.

(Think about it, when you are at the Artic in the summer the sun never goes down but turns around jou.);)
Ah you’re quite right, it does go a bit north of east and west at sunrise and sunset.
I was thinking of its direction at high noon (local mean time), which is always south above 23N and always north below 23S.

It’s not a hemisphere thing, I’m just an idiot. Southern and northern hemisphere are the same, just reversed. If I was at 52S in my summer I’d see the same arc of the sun as you in your summer 6 months later, but replacing S with N.

Anyway, my original point was that he might have sun hitting the camera, and I still think that’s a possibility.
He’s driving late in the day, and even though he says he’s driving south, it’s probably not due south, and roads curve more than we think.

Anyway, my original point was that he might have sun hitting the camera, and I still think that’s a possibility.
He’s driving late in the day, and even though he says he’s driving south, it’s probably not due south, and roads curve more than we think.

Driving the I85 south between Durham and Greensboro is directly west... directly towards the sun... Therefore you might be right.
On the other hand when I'm driving home in the evening on the A20 in the Netherlands I driving exactly towards the east and suffered also multiple ghost breakings. It also appears at night and even in de middelen of a tunnel with artificial light.

It appears that the EAP always finds a reason for not acting responsibly en consistent.