Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 S P100D, Tesla for Sale

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I need opinion about purchasing a used 2017 Model S with about 11,000 miles. It has all the options including FSD, Folding Seats, Premium Package,Cream interior, Sunroof, Enhanced Sound, Subzero, EAP 2.5, Metallic blue, 21 inch wheels Gray titanium. Owner configured and bought new. Not a Demo model. Original MSRP about 153K. Did get his $7500 tax credit. No paint protection or wrap. Bought in Sep 2017

I have the following questions for you guys.

a) What should be a reasonable purchase price of this car?

b) What should I look for during inspection apart from obvious cosmetic things?

c) Since the car has aftermarket all season tires Rial 19 inch for winter use, how do I make sure that 21 inch wheels with summer tire are not warped or anything? How much tread should be left on 21 inch tires after 10,000 miles.

d) How do I figure about battery degradation?

e) It was purchased using his own referral link. Does the second owner get free supercharging for life?

f) Should I get car serviced by Tesla before purchase or do they give an inspection report? How does one transfer phone app to one self?

I would appreciate advice from y'all.

Thanks in advance

A) check the sold listing on EV-CPO. I’m guessing $105-$120K.
B) there’s lots of threads in this forum about what to look for.
C) the tires should have between 2/32nd and 5/32nd of tread. Don’t expect to get more then 2K miles out of them. For the wheels, you need to go to a tire shop and have them spun to make sure they are true and not bent. Most likely at least one will have a small bend.
D) I wouldn’t worry about this on such a new car.
E) check the terms, but it should stay with the car.
F) no harm in getting it serviced. You can transfer the phone app once you register it in your name. Email a copy of the new registration to Tesla and they’ll transfer it in 1-2 days.

Since that car was bought, Tesla has reduced the cost of that configuration. With the tax credit you can buy a similar configuration brand new for the $130s. Also only a matter of time until inventory P100Ds are offered for sale with possibly $10-15K showroom discounts and then still qualify for the additional $7,500 rebate.

Considering everything, I would not pay more than $100-105K for a 2017 P100D. Anything more and you might as well buy a 2018 car especially with the possibility of inventory models offered for sale in the horizon.

a) What should be a reasonable purchase price of this car?

It depends on the manufacture date and in service date. is it January 2017 build or a Dec 2017, every month makes a huge difference on a P100D, subtract ~$3000 per month of ownership. Subtract an additional $7500 it if was a demo.
Resell Strength - Model S or Model X Better?

A similar question was posted here -
Pricing Question - Tesla Model S 2016.5 P100D - this guy posted his for $112K, but it's a demo model and has higher mileage than the one you are considering. This 2016 will be lucky to break $100K for this one.

b) What should I look for during inspection apart from obvious cosmetic things?

Have Tesla do the inspection, they probably already have and know if there are issues. Find out what Tesla offered and offer $5K more.

c) Since the car has aftermarket all season tires Rial 19 inch for winter use, how do I make sure that 21 inch wheels with summer tire are not warped or anything? How much tread should be left on 21 inch tires after 10,000 miles.

Have all the wheels 19 and 21's road force balanced - you will know immediately. Have them inspect for all these issues:
Types of Wheel Damage.jpg

d) How do I figure about battery degradation?

who cares - its covered by Tesla for 8 years unlimited miles.

e) It was purchased using his own referral link. Does the second owner get free supercharging for life?

Have Tesla run the VIN and tell you the answer.

f) Should I get car serviced by Tesla before purchase or do they give an inspection report? How does one transfer phone app to one self?

No, what if the deal falls through, you will be out $600. Do it after purchase, Tesla will fix whatever is needed. After you purchase the car you provide Telsa with proof of sale and about 24 hours later you can get the app to work.

Last edited:
A brand new 2018 P100D fully loaded is $147K before the incentives of $7,500 plus $2,500 in CA if you qualify. As soon as you drive it off the lot you just took a 30% hit so without any credits the value just dropped to $102,900 with the federal credit its value is about $97,650. Somewhere between $97K and $102K is the value. If it needs new tires deduct another $1K-2K depending on tire size. I would consider $95K a good deal and up to $100K a fair deal. Any more and you are going to be eating some of the first year depreciation without the benefit of being the first owner.

Another point to considered is to find out about any accident history on the car, sometimes it is tough to find a very recent accident history because it will not registered on car fax immediately. Best to call Tesla to see if they will tell you if any parts are purchased. Any accident will reduce the value of your car or worst, the car has frame damage.

Another point to considered is to find out about any accident history on the car, sometimes it is tough to find a very recent accident history because it will not registered on car fax immediately. Best to call Tesla to see if they will tell you if any parts are purchased. Any accident will reduce the value of your car or worst, the car has frame damage.

Really good point. Someone who was in an accident could try to sell the car as soon as the damage is fixed before it shows up on CarFax.

Take it to a reputable body shop and they can tell you very quickly if the car has has panels repainted or any other work done. When you pay $100K for a used car you should definitely do this as if this car has been in a major accident, that could be $10-20K in diminished value alone.

Run away from this one 2017 Tesla Model S P100DL | eBay - court ordered, wonder if this was bank repo'ed or drug seizure? Could be anything from alimony, bankruptcy, roadracing, etc.

Check this one out - 2016 Tesla Model S P100DL | eBay - this one might be worth ~$92ish K, if it wasn't a demo unit it would be worth more.

I would get the extended warranty on any demo, as the launches will kill the CV joints and put a lot of stress on the inverter and drive unit. (DU is covered by 8 year unlimited, not sure about inverter). Also more wear on the drivers seat with the perforated option.

Last edited:
Reactions: P85Dave
Run away from this one 2017 Tesla Model S P100DL | eBay - court ordered, wonder if this was bank repo'ed or drug seizure? Could be anything from alimony, bankruptcy, roadracing, etc.

Check this one out - 2016 Tesla Model S P100DL | eBay - this one might be worth ~$92ish K, if it wasn't a demo unit it would be worth more.

I would get the extended warranty on any demo, as the launches will kill the CV joints and put a lot of stress on the inverter and drive unit. (DU is covered by 8 year unlimited, not sure about inverter). Also more wear on the drivers seat with the perforated option.
Divorce proceeding as per the owner!

• Informative
Reactions: Xenoilphobe

The inverter is part of the drive unit, so it should be covered under the 8 year unlimited mile warranty. :)

• Informative
Reactions: Xenoilphobe