Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 S P100D, Tesla for Sale

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Actually, I mistakenly believed that buying from a 3rd party dealer would end the original manufacturer's warranty. Thank you for the information.

I knew, for a fact, that buying from a 3rd party dealer would make you ineligible to purchase the ESA.

Do you have actual proof that Tesla sold a lemon buyback as a CPO car?

Do you have actual proof that Tesla sold a lemon buyback as a CPO car?

Yes this is my car and I just found out that Tesla sold me a Lemon. There was nothing in the contract or emails that said that I was buying a car that had been purchased back from the original owner due to lemon law issues.

Can you imagine how pissed you would be after spending over 100k for a used car that you got duped by Tesla? I have pulled the listing on eBay as I can’t sell the car to someone else in good conscience after knowing this fact. I have owned 4 Tesla’s over the past 6 years and I can’t even start to believe how wromg this is on so many levels. Now I fully believe that this guy was fired for whistle blowing A former employee says Tesla sells “lemons” in a new lawsuit

I’ve been such a big fan of Tesla, but I it’s time to move on...

Yes this is my car and I just found out that Tesla sold me a Lemon. There was nothing in the contract or emails that said that I was buying a car that had been purchased back from the original owner due to lemon law issues.

Can you imagine how pissed you would be after spending over 100k for a used car that you got duped by Tesla? I have pulled the listing on eBay as I can’t sell the car to someone else in good conscience after knowing this fact. I have owned 4 Tesla’s over the past 6 years and I can’t even start to believe how wromg this is on so many levels. Now I fully believe that this guy was fired for whistle blowing A former employee says Tesla sells “lemons” in a new lawsuit

I’ve been such a big fan of Tesla, but I it’s time to move on...

Sorry to hear about your experience.

I guess this is what happens when you sell used cars without disclosing much of the history about the car being sold. If they would just provide the full history of used/CPO cars they sell, it would save Tesla and their customers a lot of potential hassle down the line. I agree that they should absolutely disclose if they are selling a lemon buyback car.

I guess if I ever buy a CPO Tesla, I need to ask from them directly if the car has been a part of lemon-law buyback as well as insist on seeing the service history for the car.

For those who might want to say this is not a big issue, consider the fact that having a Lemon record on a car may cause diminished value. Think of it this way, if you were looking to buy a used car and one you find out is a lemon buyback and the other has a clean record which would you buy and which would you pay less for?

Yep.

Edit - I have put both parties in touch with each other, so they can sort it out as they see fit.
Did Tesla voluntarily buy the car back or was it an ordered "buy back". There is a difference. The title would be branded if ordered but if voluntary bought back it is for "owner satisfaction good will" and then that vehicle will have clear title and can be retailed normally. "Buy back" vehicles return over 90 percent of wholesale at dealer auction because they typically carry full warranty and a minimum of one year if standard warranty is less than one year remaining. Tesla can’t cancel the original factory warranty due to how the car is retailed but they will refuse to sell an extended factory warranty if sold through a registered auto dealership

Last edited:
Did Tesla voluntarily buy the car back or was it an ordered "buy back". There is a difference. The title would be branded if ordered but if voluntary bought back it is for owner satisfaction and then a vehicle with clear title and can be retailed normally. "Buy back" vehicles return over 90 percent of wholesale at dealer auction because they typically carry full warranty and a minimum of one year if standard warranty is less than one year remaining. Tesla can’t cancel the original factory warranty due to how the car is retailed but they will refuse to sell an extended factory warranty if sold through a registered auto dealership

I don't have those details, wasn't my car and even if I did, the two owners are in contact now. It's for them to discuss.

Edit - and Tesla sold this as a CPO. It wasn't sold through a dealership.

I don't have those details, wasn't my car and even if I did, the two owners are in contact now. It's for them to discuss.

Edit - and Tesla sold this as a CPO. It wasn't sold through a dealership.
Just clarifying the difference between buying a car back and a "buy back" as most people are confused with the differences. One is fine but possibly unethical and the other is just plain wrong unless properly documented on the title and disclosures.

Just clarifying the difference between buying a car back and a "buy back" as most people are confused with the differences. One is fine but possibly unethical and the other is just plain wrong unless properly documented on the title and disclosures.

I think in either case the honest thing to do is to disclose what they are selling...

Perhaps the buyback was for something minor so they could say yes this was a lemon buyback and here is the service history. We just had to replace 4 door handles in 3 weeks but as you can see there are no other issues with the car. This way the person buying the car knows what they are buying and there are no surprises or issues later on.

Full disclosure is the best policy.

Tesla is very good at buying back cars with issues before they go through the lemon law process. Once the car is declared a "lemon" by the arbitration process it is noted on the title and is no longer of any value to Tesla. Unfortunately, due to Tesla's refusal to disclose the service history of their CPO cars, the next buyer has no way of knowing what they are getting. Until Tesla changes their policy every CPO purchase is a shot in the dark.

I think in either case the honest thing to do is to disclose what they are selling...

Perhaps the buyback was for something minor so they could say yes this was a lemon buyback and here is the service history. We just had to replace 4 door handles in 3 weeks but as you can see there are no other issues with the car. This way the person buying the car knows what they are buying and there are no surprises or issues later on.

Full disclosure is the best policy.
If a car is a voluntary "goodwill" repurchase it should be no different than any other used car. There are many reasons a car is bought back and they range all the way from a buyer with buyer remorse that will stop at nothing to find an issue with a car, to other cars with legitimate defects that fall within the legal terms of a “lemon" and the manufacturer is forced to repurchase that car. A manufacturer has no requirement to disclose a goodwill repurchase. A used car is a used car and a CPO used car is one that Tesla is going the extra mile and putting there money behind. If it is an actual Lemon Law car that is a different story as the pricing and value is affected and should be disclosed. Most manufacturers will do a voluntary repurchase before an ordered buyback as it preserves the value of the used car and also their sales to buyback ratio.