Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 S100D No Acceleration above 85 MPH !

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve been driving my S100D for a month since a mid-August delivery and this morning as I was accelerating to merge on the expressway, pushing the accelerator hard,I got absolutely nothing after 85 MPH, even though I punched the pedal to the floor !

With a sinking feeling that something was seriously wrong with my brand new car, I finished my commute into work.

Later, I called my local service center and reached the rep:

Me: I’m afraid there’s something wrong with my car [explanation to him]
Tesla: How old is your car, is it a CPO ?
Me: Brand new inventory model I bought with 50 miles on the odometer
Tesla: [swear I could hear him smiling through the phone] I think I know the problem. You bought a showroom car and we software limit the speed to 85 Mph for safety reasons to ensure a speed limit for demo drivers. I will fix this over the air for you. May I have the last digits of you VIN ?
Me: Sigh of relief here is my information. I was so worried that was all my car had !

And that’s my story. I was surprised that I hadn’t accelerated over 85 in my first month, but I’m really not that hard a driver !

So if your car won’t go, maybe it’s been limited !

I dreamed of taking a P100D to the dragstrip so when Tesla offered one for me to try out for 24 hours I jumped at the chance. Can you imagine my embarrassment when I reached 85 mph and that was the maximum instead of 100 mph plus in the 1/8th mile? So I learned the hard way of the 85 mph limit and was very disappointed that I did not beat my P85DL time.

I’ve been driving my S100D for a month since a mid-August delivery and this morning as I was accelerating to merge on the expressway, pushing the accelerator hard,I got absolutely nothing after 85 MPH, even though I punched the pedal to the floor !

With a sinking feeling that something was seriously wrong with my brand new car, I finished my commute into work.

Later, I called my local service center and reached the rep:

Me: I’m afraid there’s something wrong with my car [explanation to him]
Tesla: How old is your car, is it a CPO ?
Me: Brand new inventory model I bought with 50 miles on the odometer
Tesla: [swear I could hear him smiling through the phone] I think I know the problem. You bought a showroom car and we software limit the speed to 85 Mph for safety reasons to ensure a speed limit for demo drivers. I will fix this over the air for you. May I have the last digits of you VIN ?
Me: Sigh of relief here is my information. I was so worried that was all my car had !

And that’s my story. I was surprised that I hadn’t accelerated over 85 in my first month, but I’m really not that hard a driver !

So if your car won’t go, maybe it’s been limited !

I took delivery in a showroom Model S 100D this past weekend. When I tested the acceleration and it stopped at 85 mph I was not happy. I went to the showroom today and it was fixed with an over the air update in a couple hours.

It boggles the mind that this *sugar* isn't automated. There are other similar scenerios... AP doesn't get enabled on a new sale, or the car didn't get registered to the user's mytesla account. I swear, sometimes I think Tesla is just incompetent.

Same here. Found over the weekend that my S85 is capped at 85mph and the flux capacitor does not activate....
I sent a support email via mytesla.com on Sunday but not a peep in response yet. I did not have the opportunity to test it yet as avg speed during work week on local highways is 23mph....

Same here. Found over the weekend that my S85 is capped at 85mph and the flux capacitor does not activate....
I sent a support email via mytesla.com on Sunday but not a peep in response yet. I did not have the opportunity to test it yet as avg speed during work week on local highways is 23mph....

Don’t just email support — they tend to be quite backlogged. Call the 24/7 roadside assistance number. They know how to solve this problem in minutes on the phone.

I dreamed of taking a P100D to the dragstrip so when Tesla offered one for me to try out for 24 hours I jumped at the chance. Can you imagine my embarrassment when I reached 85 mph and that was the maximum instead of 100 mph plus in the 1/8th mile? So I learned the hard way of the 85 mph limit and was very disappointed that I did not beat my P85DL time.

the EXACT reason why the limit is there. They give you a 24 our test drive, you try to bring it to the track and push it to its limits? Something you do't own?

the EXACT reason why the limit is there. They give you a 24 our test drive, you try to bring it to the track and push it to its limits? Something you do't own?
But what if that’s literally what makes someone want to drop $70k+ of price differential to upgrade from a P85DL to a P100DL?

I mean, that’s not something I value in a car and that’s pretty much why I don’t go for the P models at all. But track performance i would imagine is a huge factor for such customers.

• Informative
Reactions: dhanson865
Well there has to be one. There was nothing missing on my car at delivery. Nothing. One small adjustment had to be made to the charging port door. Even my home address was in the Nav to help me go home, lol.

So I think it’s a training and management issue. Like in all industries, people think they ‘know’ the list. Checklists are there for a reason. To be used each and every time. I make checklists. And I still use them. I’m not one but ask any pilot if they use a checklist after thousands of takeoffs.