TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

2017 S100D No Acceleration above 85 MPH !

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by Cowbell, Sep 22, 2017.

1. Cowbell

Cowbell Member

I’ve been driving my S100D for a month since a mid-August delivery and this morning as I was accelerating to merge on the expressway, pushing the accelerator hard,I got absolutely nothing after 85 MPH, even though I punched the pedal to the floor !

With a sinking feeling that something was seriously wrong with my brand new car, I finished my commute into work.

Later, I called my local service center and reached the rep:

Me: I’m afraid there’s something wrong with my car [explanation to him]
    Tesla: How old is your car, is it a CPO ?
    Me: Brand new inventory model I bought with 50 miles on the odometer
    Tesla: [swear I could hear him smiling through the phone] I think I know the problem. You bought a showroom car and we software limit the speed to 85 Mph for safety reasons to ensure a speed limit for demo drivers. I will fix this over the air for you. May I have the last digits of you VIN ?
    Me: Sigh of relief here is my information. I was so worried that was all my car had !

And that’s my story. I was surprised that I hadn’t accelerated over 85 in my first month, but I’m really not that hard a driver !

So if your car won’t go, maybe it’s been limited !

• Informative x 4
    • Funny x 2
  2. jareade

jareade Supporting Member

:D

Very common problem with inventory models. And easily fixed via over the air update. But surprising the first time it happens. Happened to me as well. Quick email resolved the problem.

• Informative x 1
  3. dedicatedtek

dedicatedtek Member

I've read similar stories on TMC. I'm so glad mine didn't have the limit after I got it.

4. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

Yep, all demo and loaners. You’d think it would be on the delivery checklist....

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  5. Detsirrom

Detsirrom New Member

I drove almost 3k miles before I realized mine was capped

6. NSX1992

NSX1992 Member

I dreamed of taking a P100D to the dragstrip so when Tesla offered one for me to try out for 24 hours I jumped at the chance. Can you imagine my embarrassment when I reached 85 mph and that was the maximum instead of 100 mph plus in the 1/8th mile? So I learned the hard way of the 85 mph limit and was very disappointed that I did not beat my P85DL time.

7. robynum

robynum New Member

I took delivery in a showroom Model S 100D this past weekend. When I tested the acceleration and it stopped at 85 mph I was not happy. I went to the showroom today and it was fixed with an over the air update in a couple hours.

8. Dr. McKay

Dr. McKay Member

My new inventory 2016 S75D was limited too. A quick phone call fixed it after I found some posts on tesla.com indicating that it was "loaner mode".

9. CaliMS

CaliMS New Member

I learned about this on my test drive - nothing like hitting the electronic rev-limiter.

10. GarrickS

GarrickS Member

It boggles the mind that this *sugar* isn't automated. There are other similar scenerios... AP doesn't get enabled on a new sale, or the car didn't get registered to the user's mytesla account. I swear, sometimes I think Tesla is just incompetent.

11. scottm

scottm Active Member

I wonder how many people might drive the life of the car not realizing or hitting the limit? !?

• Like x 1
  12. chillaban

chillaban Active Member

Yeah I didn't hit it until my first road trip. My day to day drive never clears to the point that I get to 85 on a regular basis.

13. stopparde01

stopparde01 Member

Same here. Found over the weekend that my S85 is capped at 85mph and the flux capacitor does not activate....
    I sent a support email via mytesla.com on Sunday but not a peep in response yet. I did not have the opportunity to test it yet as avg speed during work week on local highways is 23mph....

14. chillaban

chillaban Active Member

Don’t just email support — they tend to be quite backlogged. Call the 24/7 roadside assistance number. They know how to solve this problem in minutes on the phone.

15. CSFTN

CSFTN Member

the EXACT reason why the limit is there. They give you a 24 our test drive, you try to bring it to the track and push it to its limits? Something you do't own?

16. timvracer

timvracer Member

Well... all I can say is that if my car had been limited, I would have known it on the on-ramp to highway 880 leaving the Fremont plant on delivery day.

17. chillaban

chillaban Active Member

But what if that’s literally what makes someone want to drop $70k+ of price differential to upgrade from a P85DL to a P100DL?

I mean, that’s not something I value in a car and that’s pretty much why I don’t go for the P models at all. But track performance i would imagine is a huge factor for such customers.

18. number12

number12 Active Member

The same Managment that launches rockets can not figure out a checklist for delivering 6 figure cars?

It's a list that would probably take 25 mins tops for obvious things.

19. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

Well there has to be one. There was nothing missing on my car at delivery. Nothing. One small adjustment had to be made to the charging port door. Even my home address was in the Nav to help me go home, lol.

So I think it’s a training and management issue. Like in all industries, people think they ‘know’ the list. Checklists are there for a reason. To be used each and every time. I make checklists. And I still use them. I’m not one but ask any pilot if they use a checklist after thousands of takeoffs.