Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 S100D No Acceleration above 85 MPH !

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
merging at 85 in an on ramp? You mean cars on the right lane were coasting at 90 mph that you had to merge above 85?
In Texas I ran into this, speed limit 85 MPH and people in slow lane at 85MPH. Coming up an on ramp, I needed to merge. I was over 90MPH to get a space between cars then slowed to 85 MPH. Trivial merge with Nicki, dangerous with an 85 MPH cap.

The guy I bought my car from said they limit leased cars as well... can anyone confirm that?
IANATE, but I would doubt it. You have full control of the car for the duration. Loaners and demos and whatever, make sense. Lease, no.

I punched my car on a local highway, and I was over 80 in a heartbeat. <eek> Have I gone over 85? Not so sure... Need to get out 66 some weekend and see.... :D

It's a little harder for those of us in Metro DC than in Colorado, etc.!

This kind of issues makes me feel very sad. These items should clearly be part of a checklist. Missing/forgetting to clear a software restriction when selling the car just says basic processes have not been set right. Such mistakes dent customer confidence a great deal, in my opinion. If they forgot this, what else did they forget?

The other day I went for my annual service, and had requested realignment of washer nozzles. They offered to completely replace them with the new style. I was super happy with the experience, wrote a positive service review after I got my car back - thought it was much needed given all the negativity lately. My mistake - did not check everything at pick up. I found the next day one of my key fobs was not working, had to be replaced. This had to be part of service checklist. And then a week or so later, when it rained, I found wipers were not working, at all. This could have potentially led to some very dangerous situations. I took the car to the SC, and they found that they forgot to reconnect power to wipers. The plug was just hanging lose under the hood - which means after installing new nozzles, they never tested it.

To me, inability to fix everything reported at service is a smaller dent to Tesla confidence than basic systems (such as going through checklists) not being in place, or not being taken seriously.

• Informative
Reactions: Cowbell
Hey at least you didn't have your Tesla's 155 mph advertised top speed limited to 130 mph. Our P85D was built between Dec 2014 and March 2015 and the speed sensor on the rear motor needed replacing to enable 155 mph top speed. It was a warranty replacement (if the customer requests it). Had our Tesla SC check the speed sensor and replace as per Bulletin SB-15-40-001 which requires Tesla to replace Motor speed sensor 1002722-00-C My P85D doesn't go past 133MPH. I thought the limit was 155MPH?

First world problems... :D

This kind of issues makes me feel very sad. These items should clearly be part of a checklist. Missing/forgetting to clear a software restriction when selling the car just says basic processes have not been set right. Such mistakes dent customer confidence a great deal, in my opinion. If they forgot this, what else did they forget?

The other day I went for my annual service, and had requested realignment of washer nozzles. They offered to completely replace them with the new style. I was super happy with the experience, wrote a positive service review after I got my car back - thought it was much needed given all the negativity lately. My mistake - did not check everything at pick up. I found the next day one of my key fobs was not working, had to be replaced. This had to be part of service checklist. And then a week or so later, when it rained, I found wipers were not working, at all. This could have potentially led to some very dangerous situations. I took the car to the SC, and they found that they forgot to reconnect power to wipers. The plug was just hanging lose under the hood - which means after installing new nozzles, they never tested it.

To me, inability to fix everything reported at service is a smaller dent to Tesla confidence than basic systems (such as going through checklists) not being in place, or not being taken seriously.
You would think with all the paperless (which never really happened) delivery, servicing would be the same: a process would be on an iPad, and the steps would be 1,2,3,4. Including plugging in the wipers, in this case!

Again, people may think they know what they are doing, and don't (re-)read the checklist!

Similar story. Purchased a Showroom/Loaner S100D with 1,100 miles. Read this or similar thread, realized the car seemed to lose thrust above 80 mph. Emailed Tesla support, a week later they had removed Demo mode limitation. Also assured me it was uncorked. Not much later took it out one night, ensured the battery was warmed up then confirmed there was a lot more pep in its high speed step.

I drove almost 3k miles before I realized mine was capped
I’ve been driving my S100D for a month since a mid-August delivery and this morning as I was accelerating to merge on the expressway, pushing the accelerator hard,I got absolutely nothing after 85 MPH, even though I punched the pedal to the floor !

With a sinking feeling that something was seriously wrong with my brand new car, I finished my commute into work.

Later, I called my local service center and reached the rep:

Me: I’m afraid there’s something wrong with my car [explanation to him]
Tesla: How old is your car, is it a CPO ?
Me: Brand new inventory model I bought with 50 miles on the odometer
Tesla: [swear I could hear him smiling through the phone] I think I know the problem. You bought a showroom car and we software limit the speed to 85 Mph for safety reasons to ensure a speed limit for demo drivers. I will fix this over the air for you. May I have the last digits of you VIN ?
Me: Sigh of relief here is my information. I was so worried that was all my car had !

And that’s my story. I was surprised that I hadn’t accelerated over 85 in my first month, but I’m really not that hard a driver !

So if your car won’t go, maybe it’s been limited !
Thank you, and teslamotorsclub for this!

I’ve been driving my S100D for a month since a mid-August delivery and this morning as I was accelerating to merge on the expressway, pushing the accelerator hard,I got absolutely nothing after 85 MPH, even though I punched the pedal to the floor !

With a sinking feeling that something was seriously wrong with my brand new car, I finished my commute into work.

Later, I called my local service center and reached the rep:

Me: I’m afraid there’s something wrong with my car [explanation to him]
Tesla: How old is your car, is it a CPO ?
Me: Brand new inventory model I bought with 50 miles on the odometer
Tesla: [swear I could hear him smiling through the phone] I think I know the problem. You bought a showroom car and we software limit the speed to 85 Mph for safety reasons to ensure a speed limit for demo drivers. I will fix this over the air for you. May I have the last digits of you VIN ?
Me: Sigh of relief here is my information. I was so worried that was all my car had !

And that’s my story. I was surprised that I hadn’t accelerated over 85 in my first month, but I’m really not that hard a driver !

So if your car won’t go, maybe it’s been limited !