Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 S100D - TPMS Issues, Fast blinker RH side

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Picked up a 2017 S100D at auction a few weeks ago. Trying to sort through it's issues and I'm stumped by these two.

I'm getting a constant TPMS warning light (orange triangle), even though all tires PSI is showing in proper range. When you go into service mode, you see a full page of TPMS errors over just a few minutes of time. Resetting the TPMS may clear the warning light, but it always comes back. Same thing with 2 different set of tires and TPMS.

I'm getting a fast or hyper blinker on the passenger side. When I engage the right blinker I get no visual or audible indicator in the car, and the blinkers on the right side all blink at like triple the regular rate. I spoke w/ Tesla service and they said the logs suggested a bad RH fog light, so I replaced it, but the problem persists. None of the LED bulbs are actually out or malfunctioning.

It sounds alot to me like a ground problem but I can't seem to find any grounding issues. Worst case would be an issue w/ the harness, but I've inspected most of the harness and don't see any obvious issues. I am out of basic warranty, so trying to exhaust all options before taking it into a service center or breaking down and paying for toolbox.

Good news; I solved the TPMS issue. Turns out I needed to air down the tires to 0 psi and then back up to operating psi. After going through this procedure, I did a software TPMS reset, and now I have not gotten a TPMS service alert in over 3 hours, when I used to get them every few minutes. Also had one TPMS sensor rebuilt, which I believe was the source for the TPMS hazard light.

Tesla diagnosed my fast RH blinker as follows:
Right rear taillight blinker is out, looks like moisture entered the taillight and it shorted. Recommend replace rear taillight.
Front fascia harness was found to be damaged from overheating. Recommend replace front fascia harness.

$250 for the harness replacement and $450 for the rear taillight.

Tesla diagnosed my fast RH blinker as follows:
Right rear taillight blinker is out, looks like moisture entered the taillight and it shorted. Recommend replace rear taillight.
Front fascia harness was found to be damaged from overheating. Recommend replace front fascia harness.

$250 for the harness replacement and $450 for the rear taillight.

My brother had the same issue with his RH rear taillight and paid about the same to have it replaced. I advised him to grab a part of eBay or car-part.com but he didn't want to take the time. Apparently this is not so uncommon for folks who see precipitation semi-regularly, it looks like the sealing job was not very good on the taillights. I believe there's a circuitboard in the taillight just like my 2013 Fiat 500e, it could be connected to the CANBUS to tell you the taillight is malfunctioning.

Its easy enough to grab a taillight from ebay and stick it in, but I want them to be liable for the end to end repair and I'm not about to go replace the front harness myself. Also, not sure if the vehicle needs any coding after the new light is installed. There was no service alerts related to the the blinker issue, I was told it requires toolbox access to diagnose.

Finally got the car back today. Replaced rear tail light, replaced front fascia harness and told me to keep my PSI at 44 instead of 41.
It's nice having a proper RH blinker again, although I am not convinced the TPMS error won't return.