Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Supercharger in Honolulu

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure if anyone's posted about this yet, but its on the 2017 Supercharger map on the Tesla website!

EDIT: Mods, I just saw the other thread. Please delete.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-12-22 at 5.15.37 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-12-22 at 5.15.37 PM.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 109
Not sure if anyone's posted about this yet, but [Honolulu] is on the 2017 Supercharger map on the Tesla website!

Any idea of the location?

I wonder if the Super Charger would be located near the airport and used mostly for rental car or taxi fleets?

Note: I read previously that Tesla was not considering installing any Super Charger
because this was not really justified and L2 chargers were sufficient.
To circle the island is about 100 miles.

Any idea of the location?

I wonder if the Super Charger would be located near the airport and used mostly for rental car or taxi fleets?

Note: I read previously that Tesla was not considering installing any Super Charger
because this was not really justified and L2 chargers were sufficient.
To circle the island is about 100 miles.
Maybe it will be installed at the new service center?

That would make sense but Supercharger team says they are still scouting locations. Feel free to post a preferred location as will be sending them a list next week.
Here are some obvious locations that I think should be considered. Places that have restaurants and other stuff to do.
First...
1. Ala Moana Shopping Center
2. Ward Shopping Center
2. Kahala Mall
3. Pearl Ridge
After those...
1. Mililani
2. Kapolei
3. Haleiwa
4. Turtle Bay

Feel free to post a preferred location as will be sending them a list next week.

It would be interesting to determine who would use and need the most the Supercharger?

1) I suppose that most owners must live in a residence and have a home charger,
however I think that the optimum location in this case would be around Pearl City.

2) The other type of owners might live in a building or condos, and might have difficulty getting a plug installed.
I think that also a large majority of future Tesla Model 3 would be in this situation.
So the optimum location would in areas like near downtown like the Ala Moana Shopping Center.

3) Because on of the major industry is tourism, I think that for Taxi and rental car using Tesla,
the optimum would be near the Airport.

4) Others locations, such as near Costco could be also good opportunities.

Just a thought. I have no idea about the economics, such as the leasing cost of the lot which must be a big factor!

Good news? Maybe. If you look at the list of Superchargers it shows Honolulu - (Coming Soon). Well, we know what Tesla means by soon, but keep your fingers crossed. Maybe its Super-soon. ??
everything crossed. last weekend 6AM at ward 5 of the 6 chargers had Tesla MSs plugged in and one ford EV, which finally left at 10AM, then it was 6 of 6.
it looks like MS owners are running all the way down and spending a loooong time charging back up on the weekends. Hope they get the supercharger before I break down and get a CHADEMO adapter.

Tesla today revised - well almost reversed the policy regarding use of superchargers - particularly in urban areas.
credit to Electrek.co
The language in their update shows a clear shift from primarily enabling long-distance travel to also facilitating urban travel or even owners without driveways or garages. They wrote:

“In addition, many sites will be built further off the highway to allow local Tesla drivers to charge quickly when needed, with the goal of making charging ubiquitous in urban centers.”

The vast majority of Supercharger stations were so far built along highways and popular routes, and while there were sometimes one or two stations within metro areas, Tesla is now clearly focusing on adding stations directly in cities

end Electrek.co part.

Hawaii owners - maybe each of us should send a brief email complementing Tesla on the revised policy and ask/remind them that we desperately need our own Superchargers here. Anyone? Bueller? Bueller ? Anyone?

Come on Hawaii owners, let's help old David Smith get a Supercharger. Have a little pity for all those nights at public chargers where he sits waiting on his S 85 to charge. We all know how cold it is here this time of year sitting in a dark parking lot with all that white stuff on the asphalt. David has even taken to carrying a load of wood around in his frunk so he can build a fire to keep warm while waiting for the charging to finish. Poor old David. Come one, even if you don't need Supercharging, help us help him. Send an email to the team at [email protected]

Last edited:
Tesla today revised - well almost reversed the policy regarding use of superchargers - particularly in urban areas.
credit to Electrek.co
The language in their update shows a clear shift from primarily enabling long-distance travel to also facilitating urban travel or even owners without driveways or garages. They wrote:

“In addition, many sites will be built further off the highway to allow local Tesla drivers to charge quickly when needed, with the goal of making charging ubiquitous in urban centers.”

The vast majority of Supercharger stations were so far built along highways and popular routes, and while there were sometimes one or two stations within metro areas, Tesla is now clearly focusing on adding stations directly in cities

end Electrek.co part.

Hawaii owners - maybe each of us should send a brief email complementing Tesla on the revised policy and ask/remind them that we desperately need our own Superchargers here. Anyone? Bueller? Bueller ? Anyone?

Andy (sales manager at Ala Moana) said he was tasked to find a location when I first met him earlier this year. Probably a good time to follow up with him on status.

credit to Electrek.co

end Electrek.co part.

Come on Hawaii owners, let's help old David Smith get a Supercharger. Have a little pity for all those nights at public chargers where he sits waiting on his S 85 to charge. We all know how cold it is here this time of year sitting in a dark parking lot with all that white stuff on the asphalt. David has even taken to carrying a load of wood around in his frunk so he can build a fire to keep warm while waiting for the charging to finish. Poor old David. Come one, even if you don't need Supercharging, help us help him. Send an email to the team at [email protected]
Akikiki
you are wrong, wrong, wrong. I don't use wood, charcoal burns better than palm trees.
I did consider wood, but only using in a gasifier so I can help out my friends that bought a volt falsely thinking it was an electric car.

• Funny
Reactions: nanimac and Akikiki
Hmm...Honolulu to Kailua is about 12 miles. Tesla owners on Oahu are going to be really spoiled when they are on "road trips". ;) Now if that second Supercharger location was actually going to be in Kailua-Kona, that would be an epic "road" trip! :cool:

Seriously...that is a great thing Tesla is doing for Tesla owners on Oahu who can't charge at home.

• Funny
Reactions: nanimac