Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Supercharger Plan: New Chicago city location?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It seems like this Chicago location coincides with Tesla's latest announcement regarding supercharging being encouraged for local users with no level 1 or level 2 charging access of their own.

This could be a 25+ stall staple for network - and encourage a multitude of model 3 excitement / possibilities!

Anyone hear anything about permits or a possible location?

It seems like this Chicago location coincides with Tesla's latest announcement regarding supercharging being encouraged for local users with no level 1 or level 2 charging access of their own.

This could be a 25+ stall staple for network - and encourage a multitude of model 3 excitement / possibilities!

Anyone hear anything about permits or a possible location?

Screw the charger, your garage is awesome! I totally have nonstop been thinking about doing the exact same thing to mine... I might need to stop by and check it out if I am ever in the area.

Yes, this is great news for Chicago owners. The grand ave location is unusable until 9 or 10 PM.

See attached for locations of the planned Chicago superchargers. I believe they are relative locations as the actual pin locations do not make much sense. I think the two in the downtown area will be in parking garages. The Lincoln Park location must be a lot.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-05-04 at 3.46.47 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-05-04 at 3.46.47 PM.png
    917.3 KB · Views: 129
  • Screen Shot 2017-05-04 at 3.44.06 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-05-04 at 3.44.06 PM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 84
  • Screen Shot 2017-05-04 at 3.42.32 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-05-04 at 3.42.32 PM.png
    823.2 KB · Views: 85
Reactions: SpoolUp
Yes, this is great news for Chicago owners. The grand ave location is unusable until 9 or 10 PM.

See attached for locations of the planned Chicago superchargers. I believe they are relative locations as the actual pin locations do not make much sense. I think the two in the downtown area will be in parking garages. The Lincoln Park location must be a lot.
I scoped out the 903 W Webster location and found it nearly impossible to add a Supercharger here. I think this is the geographic center of Lincoln Park and just an estimated spot for where they may deploy.

I also have a Leaf and thought it might make sense for them to build on a rooftop garage to utilize a solar array, maybe a Whole Foods parking garage top would make sense (their level 3 chargers promote shopping while charging my Leaf).

Found the Near East Side location - it's in the Aqua parking garage at 225 N Columbus Dr. Adjacent to the 3 existing ChargePoint stalls on level 2. Several parking spots are roped off with construction tape. There is some preliminary infrastructure in place (conduit, cabinets) but that's it. The infrastructure looked pretty beefy, so I took a closer look and found some plans that confirm it's for a Tesla Supercharger install.

The plans call for 3 supercharger cabinets and 6 stalls. Parking in the garage is $20 for the first hour.

supercharger site.JPG

supercharger plans.jpg

Chicago-Lakeshore East, IL

Interstates: None*
US Numbered Highways: US-41

To: St. Joseph, MI (local,I-290,I-90,I-94) - 101 miles
To: Mishawaka, IN (local,I-290,I-90,local,IN-23) - 98.9 miles
To: Lafayette, IN (local,I-290,I-90,I-65) - 125 miles
To: Terre Haute, IN (local,I-290,I-90,I-94,IL-394,local,US-41,IN-63,local,US-40) - 189 miles
To: Country Club Hills, IL (local,I-290,I-90,I-94,I-57) - 26.9 miles
To: Bolingbrook, IL (local,I-290,I-90,I-55,I-355) - 29.4 miles
To: North Aurora, IL (local,I-290,I-88) - 43.1 miles
To: Grand Avenue, IL (local) - 2.6 miles
To: Highland Park, IL (local,I-90,IL-50,I-94,US-41) - 27.2 miles

I ignored Grand Avenue for direct routes since it's so close.

* Well, it's close to I-90, but Grand Avenue's closer. Don't know traffic there so I'm just going by proximity

Ive parked in both. Grant park over 30 years. Aqua, shortly after they opened the L2 stations.
Aqua is too awkward a place to park for regular downtown or mag mile access.
And GP is awkward to get to Aqua. They both have their place. The suit, while potentially legally valid, by common sense completely stupid.

Took a closer look at the plans for the Aqua supercharger today, and it looks like it's going to be 10 stalls instead of the 6 that I reported earlier. The plans for 6 stalls that I saw earlier were dated from late 2016. Another set of plans showing 10 stalls was dated April 2017.

I took a couple pictures of the April 2017 plans showing 10 stalls. Besides the layout of the stalls, the plans also detail the connections between the cabinets and charge posts (cabinet 1 to posts 1A and 1B, etc). The plans also show that 5 stalls are "enabled" while the other 5 are "dedicated". Anyone know what dedicated/enabled means?

IMG_2290.JPG
D754E0A7-895D-4122-A7CD-32C85859F923.JPG

Reactions: Bebop
Took a closer look at the plans for the Aqua supercharger today, and it looks like it's going to be 10 stalls instead of the 6 that I reported earlier. The plans for 6 stalls that I saw earlier were dated from late 2016. Another set of plans showing 10 stalls was dated April 2017.

I took a couple pictures of the April 2017 plans showing 10 stalls. Besides the layout of the stalls, the plans also detail the connections between the cabinets and charge posts (cabinet 1 to posts 1A and 1B, etc). The plans also show that 5 stalls are "enabled" while the other 5 are "dedicated". Anyone know what dedicated/enabled means?

That's Tesla parking only v time-limited general parking.
When they have that it's in pairs, so each pair of stalls is 1 Tesla only and 1 time-limited, so that if Tesla owners always use free Tesla-only parking, they can't be sharing charging unless also a Tesla in a time-limited general spot.

Interesting. The plans call for cabinet x to be connected to stalls xA and xB, where x is 1 through 5. But stalls 1A, 1B, 2A, 2B, and 3A are designated "enabled" while 3B, 4A, 4B, 5A, and 5B are "dedicated" - which means even if only the Tesla-only stalls are used, 4 of the 5 will be shared and 2 cabinets will be idle. Perhaps this was an oversight in the plans.

Thanks for these updates guys! I'll be visiting Chicago in late October 2017 and am hoping to fill up my X75D at this supercharger. Am I understanding this correctly, that it'll cost me $20 in parking charges to plug in for an hour?

Here's the posted fee structure at the entrance to the Aqua garage. Yes, it's currently $20 for the first hour. Or $15 if you can adhere to the constraints for the "early morning special".

There has been some installation progress lately - I saw some wiring being chased through the conduit. But no Tesla specific equipment in sight yet.

8141DD71-F29C-4D92-8268-589836B6616B.JPG

• Informative
Reactions: avigutman