Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Supercharger Plan: New Chicago city location?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Something about this that bugs a lot, more so having to pay to go in the garage. Then again this SC seems to be designed for those are actually going to park and go shopping.

Kind of sucks if you just want to go in for a quick charge and go.

Yeah, it's annoying... but then again... who drives right through the middle of downtown Chicago on a road trip? Anybody not actually stopping in Chicago would be driving up the interstates, with several other SCs to choose from.

(Well, it's not a very *good* rationalization, but it's something...)

Reactions: croman
Something about this that bugs a lot, more so having to pay to go in the garage. Then again this SC seems to be designed for those are actually going to park and go shopping.

Kind of sucks if you just want to go in for a quick charge and go.
If you want a "quick charge and go," just go over to the Grand Ave service center. It's only 5 minutes away and superchargers available on the side of building.

Reactions: croman and Bebop
There's been slow but steady progress in the Aqua garage. One of the six existing ChargePoint stations has been moved to make room for the Superchargers. And these 5 Supercharger cabinets arrived recently:

IMG_2492.JPG

Signs are up and "TESLA" is being painted on many of the corresponding walls. The brown electrical cabinets shown in the earlier posts and wires look like they have been installed. However, I didn't see any charging station units yet. Interestingly, some of the Tesla signs indicate a 30min limit on parking. So, fingers crossed....We may be very close to relieving the pain of having to charge at the super slow and always crowded Grand Ave location.

Attachments

• IMG_0692.JPG
    IMG_0692.JPG
    361.6 KB · Views: 132
  • Informative
Reactions: Bebop
Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Chuq
The location and validation process don't seem ideal. This isn't the easiest to access location in town being that it's very far east near the water (I just happen to live in the neighborhood). Exiting the garage put me on Wacker Drive headed toward Lake Shore Drive, which is not the most convenient place to turn around if you don't wanna go in that direction.

Cost - I was charged $20 for charging for less than 10 minutes. Yikes...

So how did they keep the new stall design secret until they were live? Nobody checking on the status? Did they wait and put them in at the last minute last night? Covered by big black garbage bags?

Yes, see my post from a couple weeks ago. The chargers were first covered in large garbage bags. And, last week, they went a step further by blocking off the entire area from view

Reactions: MP3Mike