Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Supercharger Plan: New Chicago city location?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This seems like a really bad arrangement for a supercharger. Paying a minimum of $20 just to access the changers, then paying for the electricity on top of it (assuming you don't have unlimited supercharging) you could quickly rival the cost of filling up with gas. If I were a new model 3 owner without home charger ability, I would not be very happy with this.

If you're staying at the Aqua, then it's fine but wouldn't destination chargers have made more sense?

The Grand Ave location is not a very good option. There's only two stalls there (that I've found to have issues fairly frequently). It's not listed on Tesla's website so it's technically not public and the staff will give you the boot if they need it.

Let's hope they're a bit smarter about the other Chicagoland sites. So far the options for new owners are pretty poor IMO.

Reactions: VikH and alcibiades
This seems like a really bad arrangement for a supercharger. Paying a minimum of $20 just to access the changers, then paying for the electricity on top of it (assuming you don't have unlimited supercharging) you could quickly rival the cost of filling up with gas. If I were a new model 3 owner without home charger ability, I would not be very happy with this.

If you're staying at the Aqua, then it's fine but wouldn't destination chargers have made more sense?

The Grand Ave location is not a very good option. There's only two stalls there (that I've found to have issues fairly frequently). It's not listed on Tesla's website so it's technically not public and the staff will give you the boot if they need it.

Let's hope they're a bit smarter about the other Chicagoland sites. So far the options for new owners are pretty poor IMO.

$5 for 45 minute exit. New garage charge. They got rapid blowback. Still it is painful.

Location is good if you want to visit Millenium Park/ dinner and Harris theater. You have to want to walk. But then the $5 charge is irrelevant. And Tesla won't be happy with two plus hours at stall. Useful on very FEW occasions- but then Tesla should be pushing destination chargers for those who want an afternoon or evening of shopping. NYC has done that in Manhattan.

Reactions: Big Earl
The Aqua garage is actually fairly unique in that it will directly serve 2 large residential buildings. Aqua and the recently announced Lot O development will share this garage). Together they will encompass 3 hotels, 2 apartment complexes, and 1 condo. Approximately 1000 hotel rooms, 1000 apartments, and 250 condos will use this garage - plus employees who work nearby, residents of nearby buildings, and yes even the general public.

I agree that the location is poor for long distance travelers, but it seems ideal for enabling urban EV ownership.

• Informative
Reactions: spottyq and e-FTW
@krtrice thanks for the photos! Very interesting development. Can you tell us what is behind the chain link fence shown at the far left of one of your photos? Is there Supercharger equipment in there? Thanks.

Someone posted a video of the Boston site: Blog - Tesla Announces Supercharger Push in Urban Areas

And this post has good pictures of the Boston site: Boston SC opening today! (Still shows 2 cabinets per stall.)

The pedestals are labeled with an input voltage of 410 VDC so the chargers are housed elsewhere. (The video shows a quick look at some of the Supercharger cabinets.)

Maybe the person you spoke to was shocked, but I'd be shocked if the supercharger site planners didn't know what the Aqua garage charged for parking. That amount isn't atypical for a big city garage, and I wouldn't expect Tesla to subsidize anyone's parking.

Reactions: e-FTW
Maybe the person you spoke to was shocked, but I'd be shocked if the supercharger site planners didn't know what the Aqua garage charged for parking. That amount isn't atypical for a big city garage, and I wouldn't expect Tesla to subsidize anyone's parking.
You're taking on an argument that no one is making. No one is asking for subsidized parking. They are asking not to pay a surcharge just to use the SC. It's not "parking".

You're taking on an argument that no one is making. No one is asking for subsidized parking. They are asking not to pay a surcharge just to use the SC. It's not "parking".

Suppose Tesla owners get a 1 hour allowance to utilize the superchargers. How does the garage know if a given Tesla actually charged? If the garage does not confirm that a given Tesla actually charged, then Tesla drivers enjoy subsidized parking in the garage - $20 off each parking session.

So people would get a Tesla for the free parking in downtown cores? How will every other EV owner feel about that?
But I doubt this is going to happen anyway. The reality is that providing a space to charge in some mall in the suburbs is way easier than doing the same in downtown areas.
I don't expect to pay to park in the burbs, but I do expect to pay to park in the city.