Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Tacoma vs Tesla - Entertainment/Phone System

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
$40k for an import small truck? My how things have changed. 20mpg highway? Nearly all the full sized trucks do better than that. My 1 ton, 8' bed crew cab 4x4, empty is 8,040lb does 20 mpg hwy unladen.

That class of truck in the USA ranges up to at least 30 mpg highway today.

Well at least they spent money on the radio. They certainly saved a ton on powertrain engineering.

Crazy what people will pay for a little truck, low on power with poor gas mileage. Guess that is why they have never been able to approach the sales of the F150/Chevy Silverado but Toyota still continues to fool so many...

I own a Model S that I purchased in December 2015 and just purchased a 2017 Tacoma TRD Offroad. I am surprised about how much better certain parts of the entertainment system in the Tacoma than my beloved Model S. My model S was about 105k and the Tacoma about 40k. Here are some of the items which make the Tacoma a better entertainment system.

Voice commands that work faster and do a whole lot more. Want the current weather, forecast, want a doppler of the current location? Just ask. Want to listen to an Artist on your USB key just say, "Play" and then the artist (or a song or genre or playlist). It can open different apps to the display like XM or Slacker or Navigation without having to take your eye off the road. Its darn fast.

XM - yeah, it is standard without having to buy premium and glass roof

USB key seems to actually load (and quickly. My Tesla seems to take forever even with 2.42.40)

Text message can be programed to show on screen when received

Phone: You can designate certain telephone numbers as favorites. Am I the only one out there that makes 80% of my calls to about 10 numbers? I also love the ability to say "Dial number" and then read the number out loud. Want to call someones cell without having to do the extra step just say "Call" and then the name and type of phone, like Cell.

Bonus: wireless charging for my phone. Just put it in the cubby area and it wirelessly charges.

I love my Tesla but I can't believe my pickup truck has a more refined phone and entertainment system.

Toyota means business (with the exception of the crazy hydrogen direction). I had two of them and they were the best. 13 cupholders for the win. Unfortunately, my latest one was a 2009 and I ripped out the stereo in favor of my Empeg.

On this forum..., yeah you'd get some of that.

Some folk don't realize that some of the most sought after cars were like that. You are buying the best, but not necessarily the most frills.

The first Vipers had zippered plastic sheets for side windows, and no ABS, traction control, or AC. I don't even remember them having door handles on the outside. But everybody wanted one. They called them Roadsters. Name might be familiar?