TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

2017 Texas Legislative Session Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Texas' started by ggies07, May 23, 2016.

Tags:
  1. TaoJones

TaoJones Beyond Driven

So true. Looks like the combined graft and corruption really *is* bigger in Texass.

• Informative x 1
  2. SW2Fiddler

SW2Fiddler We Are Cognitive Dissidents

I didn't recognize you at first there Tao, you forgot to use the word "hinky" ;)

3. SW2Fiddler

Kind of old news Jerry. Everyone knows, even our CA friends can smell the corruption from way out West.

And we'll never get a legislator to admit that outright.
    But what I am after is doable - and Matt came this close to it - for one of them to state that they are indeed treating Dealers as a "protected class." That this protection outweighs free market sensibilities. Then we just Daylight the *sugar* out of that quote. Preferably along with the pertinent campaign contribution stats!

Can't fight this Good Ol' Boi net with money, or with mere facts in committee. However, public sentiment can flip around quickly and that will get the GOBs to act in self-preservation mode. Which is a skill they EXCEL at.

"Have you baited your Representatives this week?"​

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  4. TaoJones

TaoJones Beyond Driven

If the Texas legislature wasn't already completely and heinously indefensible, one might argue that in their defense at least they haven't tried to promulgate any hinky ppu (pay-per-use) SC schemes yet.

There ya go :).

• Funny x 1
  5. Shaggy

Shaggy Member

I always thought a good compromise would be that Tesla could do direct sales until they exceed 10,000 sales in the state and use that time to get it the law removed.

How are low production companies doing it?

Honestly at this point, it wouldn't make much sense to me for Ford to open a Ford dealership as they already have (likely) contracts with all the dealers in the state as to sales area and non-compete clauses.

6. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

The test case will be Michigan. If they win there, it will be much easier in other states.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  7. SW2Fiddler

I wouldn't be surprised if NADA 'encouraged' a settlement in Michigan, rolling back the Anti-Tesla wording change, to keep the matter from getting appealed higher. Surely they wouldn't want to risk a Fed Supreme ruling in favor of free interstate commerce enterprise.

8. Chris TX

Chris TX Active Member

Yeah, part of me hopes Tesla fails in MI so it can go to SCOTUS. But once it gets to SCOTUS, it might be upheld and they say the laws need to be dictated by the states. Such a pickle.

9. Boourns

Boourns Active Member

Hey friends. I saw on twitter that bill filing for the 2017 session starts today. Seems now is the time to start contacting legislators to see where we stand.

10. Boourns

Boourns Active Member

• Like x 1
  11. wart

wart Less Cowbell

OK, it's 2017 and the session starts next week. I'm not seeing any news about Tesla direct sales in Texas, and a quick search for bills relating to auto sales didn't turn anything up. Does anyone have any info?

12. ggies07

ggies07 Supporting Member

I don't know of any updates, but I'm damn tired of this state and how it acts. Also, I'm damn tired of the Clay Cooley dealerships ads on the tv here in the DFW area....shop me first, shop me last, either way come see clay! aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah............

• Like x 1
  13. SW2Fiddler

Tesla has a Facebook presence for the Texas campaign.
    Tesla in Texas

14. TexLaw

TexLaw Member

I've seen this same thing go on with breweries and distributorships. The distributors are all concerned about direct sales from breweries. It's a ridiculous, transparently corrupt situation. Just as everyone else has said, phrases like "consumer protection" and "our economy" are nothing more than code for "your reelection fund."

Sooner or later, the movement will gain enough momentum that the dealership lobby will start to see the writing on the wall, i.e., that they will lose the war. It is then and only then that they will start allowing some movement (for example, the 10,000 limit).

No one should get their hopes up about anything concrete happening this year, though. The momentum just isn't there, yet. This is an excellent time to lay framework, but Tesla is going to need to really get involved beyond just having a web page that sends out pat emails. Hopefully, some real movement can happen in 2019, but it might even be 2121.

Of course, I'm open to surprises, but the current state of affairs indicates that the powers-that-be still are trying to make it more difficult on Tesla, not less.

• Like x 1
  15. Boourns

Boourns Active Member

Is there a bill yet? At the very least everyone here can call their reps and urge them to support the bill.

16. TexLaw

TexLaw Member

I know of no bill. I certainly have contacted my legislators, the Lieutenant Governor, and the Governor about this matter. Everyone should, yes. They do keep count.

17. Twiglett

Twiglett Single pedal driver

Don't get your hopes up, they might keep count but our esteemed governor is paying more attention to the payments into his election campaign from car dealers, you don't think consumer freedom plays any part in his thoughts.
    One of his quotes “Texas has a very robust, very open, very effective automobile sector that seems like it’s working quite well the way that it is,”
    or
    “If you’re going to have a breakdown in a car, you need to have a car dealership there to make sure that the vehicle is going to be taken care of. We haven’t seen that from Tesla.”

• Informative x 1
  18. TexLaw

TexLaw Member

I said as much, and I have no illusions that anything will happen this term. However, every snowball starts small. Every phone call, email, and letter really do count, even if takes years to get there.

I've actually gone door to door at the capitol on a different matter, and I was impressed at how we were received.

That's rich. Support the law preventing Tesla from having dealerships, and then justify that support with the fact that they have no dealerships. I've never been a fan of Greg Abbott, even when he was on the bench, and that circular reasoning is one of the large reasons why. I can't find the quote, but I've also heard him say something along the lines of "There's no reason to allow X. If we needed X, we would have X. We don't have X, so it follows that we don't need X, so we shouldn't allow X." Astounding.

• Funny x 1
  19. SW2Fiddler

Howdy.
    Is there a reason not to pursue an EV Exemption for HOV Lane Requirements, as there already is here for motorcycles, and as we see in other states?
    That bill I could probably write. It would be a Demand lever. It might not generate the amount of opposition ("Easter Seals Will Cryyyy If You Let This Bill Outta Committee!") we see for a "dealer-protection rollback" initiative...

20. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

Actually, no. One of the arguments against EVs is that they don't pay road taxes. The counter argument is that they pay tolls just like everyone else. Also they don't spill oil that costs money to clean up.