Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Thanksgiving Supercharger Report Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are more Teslas on the road than ever before, but there are also new Superchargers and new routes opened up.

What are your expectations for traveling this year? Waits? Detours? Problems?

We can use this thread to report crowding issues too.

I am traveling from North Idaho to Boise and unfortunately, like the last two years, I will need to detour west to Kennewick WA, south to Pendleton OR, then east over the blue mountains to Baker OR and on to Boise. Adds about 100 miles compared with south on US 95 and ID 55.
All we need is ONE (two would be nice) supercharger in the middle of the state. Halfway from Coeur d’Alene to Boise would put it in either in Grangesville or Whitebird.

I’ve made recommendations at the Tesla website but got no answer. :(

Our drive will only be 90 miles each way for an early Thanksgiving lunch, then with a late dinner back in town so no SC charging on the way home. We are thinking of just charging to 95% at home and not using the SC network at all, just plug in when we finally get home.

I am traveling from North Idaho to Boise and unfortunately, like the last two years, I will need to detour west to Kennewick WA, south to Pendleton OR, then east over the blue mountains to Baker OR and on to Boise. Adds about 100 miles compared with south on US 95 and ID 55.
All we need is ONE (two would be nice) supercharger in the middle of the state. Halfway from Coeur d’Alene to Boise would put it in either in Grangesville or Whitebird.

I’ve made recommendations at the Tesla website but got no answer. :(

If you've got dual or 72A charging there are some L2 options available... probably won't save much time but it's less driving.

Holiday crowd at the Farmington NM Supercharger Station:

1122171221.jpg

Now for the most difficult trip leg I've ever done: 180 miles to Albuquerque in my S60, full range about 186 miles.

• Funny
Reactions: EinSV and Rocky_H
Got to Atlanta on Tuesday. Saw a total of about
16 other Teslas. That's probably almost twice as many as when we made this trip last year. 3 each in Albuquerque, Denton, and Birmingham, a couple each in Flagstaff and Gallup, one each in Little Rock and El Centro, and one passing by. Got this picture in Denton. License plates from Florida, Texas, and California (mine). Popular color:
IMG_3550.JPG

I checked the Supercharger occupancy on the touchscreen around 12:45 PM today, Saturday. Ft. Tejon: full. Atascadero: full. Buttonwillow: vacant. Bakersfield West: 6 in use. Harris Ranch: 5 in use. Fresno: 7 in use.

And the winner---------Kettleman City with 22/40 in use.

Reactions: Johann Koeber
I am soooooooooooo glad that I do not have to return to San Diego from North on Sunday afternoon or evening. I shudder to think of how full the SC stations will be all day Sunday. I expect even worse Before/After Christmas and New Years.

Friday Supercharging in Santa Fe NM, no other Teslas.

Friday Supercharging in Albuquerque, two Model S, not at the same time. One was from New Mexico, the other from Colorado (like my car).

Saturday morning Supercharging in Albuquerque, two other Teslas at the same time: a Model X from an Albuquerque local and my first ever sighting of a Model 3! The latter was heading home to California after visiting family in the Midwest. With mine, that made three Teslas at the same time — quite the holiday crowd!

Saturday midday at Farmington NM, no other Teslas (as before on Wednesday).

Tesla Model 3 at Albuquerque1977sf 11-25-17.jpg

^ Model 3 at Albuquerque Supercharger Station.

Reactions: KJD
Went over to the Atlanta supercharger this morning around 11am to charge up and start home tomorrow. Found 8 of 10 stalls occupied and got another of these (rather) rare pictures. The most occupied I've seen outside of California.
IMG_3554.JPG

I am soooooooooooo glad that I do not have to return to San Diego from North on Sunday afternoon or evening. I shudder to think of how full the SC stations will be all day Sunday. I expect even worse Before/After Christmas and New Years.
I made the trip from San Diego back to LA this morning. I was down for the weekend and ended up driving around a lot while there, probably 200 miles just around SD county. I decided to forego supercharging entirely, and used the expensive Blink charger at my hotel. It cost me $26 to charge, but I did not have to stop at all. On the screen, I did see plenty of space at San Clemente at one point. I did not bother to check SJC or FV.