Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 VIN Model X Order and Delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Car was ordered last week of Nov and VIN issued first week of Dec.

I ordered on Nov 3rd and got my VIN like a few weeks ago. It was initially a 2016 VIN with a "G" then a few days later it was updated to "H" 2017. I requested a February delivery just in case so that it would be a 2017. In the end the car will be delivered sometimes in January instead but i am fine since I got a 2017 VIN. My OA was very helpful since day one. A big relief when I saw the updated VIN.
When did you request your delivery date?

I ordered on Nov 3rd and got my VIN like a few weeks ago. It was initially a 2016 VIN with a "G" then a few days later it was updated to "H" 2017. I requested a February delivery just in case so that it would be a 2017. In the end the car will be delivered sometimes in January instead but i am fine since I got a 2017 VIN. My OA was very helpful since day one. A big relief when I saw the updated VIN.

I requested January delivery but I specifically told my OA that it should be a 2017 VIN, even if that meant it changing the delivery date to Feb. He acknowledged saying that he requested a January build date.

• Funny
Reactions: Darryl
I requested January delivery but I specifically told my OA that it should be a 2017 VIN, even if that meant it changing the delivery date to Feb. He acknowledged saying that he requested a January build date.

They initially told me that on January they are doing builds for foreign markets so asked if I was fine with Feb. I was kinda scared of getting a January delivery as they might put into production on December and delivery in Jan. I got mine ordered from the Fremont factory, she was really helpful as I was a pain with changes ordered a P90D and wanted the P100D but wife was against it so I kept my order. Losing 2500 and making a new order is crazy. Unless you can get an inventory car build in 2017 and give up yours custom build at no charge. I was offered a switch with a P100D at no charge but inventory car with AP2, they weren't the color i wanted and options plus a 2016 so I kept my P90D custom order.

They initially told me that on January they are doing builds for foreign markets so asked if I was fine with Feb. I was kinda scared of getting a January delivery as they might put into production on December and delivery in Jan. I got mine ordered from the Fremont factory, she was really helpful as I was a pain with changes ordered a P90D and wanted the P100D but wife was against it so I kept my order. Losing 2500 and making a new order is crazy. Unless you can get an inventory car build in 2017 and give up yours custom build at no charge. I was offered a switch with a P100D at no charge but inventory car with AP2, they weren't the color i wanted and options plus a 2016 so I kept my P90D custom order.

Well, I am glad it worked out for you. It's unfortunate to have few sales people spoil the reputation of an otherwise great company!

Just wondering why my VIN hasn't changed to an H. I requested delivery in Feb/Mar.

Model X 75D
6-seat configuration
Silver Metallic
20" Silver Wheels
Multi-Pattern Black interior & seats
Dark Ash Wood Decor
Black Headliner
Enhanced Autopilot w/ Full Self-Driving
Premium Upgrades
Subzero & Towing Packages

Ordered 12/8
Confirmed 12/15
Assigned Vin 12/16, initially was a G but at some point changed to an H
Status: Your Tesla order has been confirmed and scheduled for production in our factory.
Estimated Delivery Range: January, 2017 - Early February, 2017, though I was told it should be shipped by 12/31.

I, too, am one who is having his X built in January yet as of 12/20 still have a "G" 2016 VIN - and have gone through other complaint channels because I've received no response, satisfactory or otherwise, from my DS.

I, too, am one who is having his X built in January yet as of 12/20 still have a "G" 2016 VIN - and have gone through other complaint channels because I've received no response, satisfactory or otherwise, from my DS.

I am guessing this is how the factory works. I ordered early October with estimated delivery December, since I specifically requested a 2017 VIN, they tentatively scheduled my car to start production first week of January (with a 2016 VIN). The factory was focusing on 2016 orders and 2016 inventory cars. Recently, they have completed all 2016 orders and 2016 inventory cars, they are pushing 2017 models into the production line before the end of December. My car has moved up for production this month and they have updated my VIN to a 2017.

If you haven't gotten an updated VIN, my guess is that your car is not up for production yet.

• Helpful
Reactions: 3s-a-charm
I asked my DS today, and the DS didn't even know that the 10th digit in the VIN indicates the model year. Is this is a bad sign of things to come?

I asked the DS to see if we could put my car into production now and ensure that I get a 2017 VIN. No reply yet.

• Informative
Reactions: bonaire
Document1.jpg

Any 2017 VIN in production?

Model X 75D
6-seat configuration
Silver Metallic
20" Silver Wheels
Multi-Pattern Black interior & seats
Dark Ash Wood Decor
Black Headliner
Enhanced Autopilot w/ Full Self-Driving
Premium Upgrades
Subzero & Towing Packages

Ordered 12/8
Confirmed 12/15
Assigned Vin 12/16, initially was a G but at some point changed to an H
Status: Your Tesla order has been confirmed and scheduled for production in our factory.
Estimated Delivery Range: January, 2017 - Early February, 2017, though I was told it should be shipped by 12/31.
You confirmed on Dec 15 and were expecting delivery by the 31st? Seems optimistic?

I received a surprising phone call from Tesla today.

I ordered a Model X last week and was scheduled to have the order confirmed today. I was unofficially told by a rep that I should expect March delivery.

Today they offered to give me a 2017 VIN if I completed the financials by the end of the year. In turn I could expect direct delivery at my house in early January. Additionally I would be eligible to claim the $7500 rebate in 2016.

I assume that their motivation is to count my order for fourth quarter, but I never imagined seeing it get turned around this fast. Is this too good to be true?

You cannot claim the Federal credit for 2016 unless you register the car in 2016. In addition, learn from mistake and don't apply for financial until near delivery. Had to run a second credit because time from order to production was greater than thirty days.

You cannot claim the Federal credit for 2016 unless you register the car in 2016. In addition, learn from mistake and don't apply for financial until near delivery. Had to run a second credit because time from order to production was greater than thirty days.

Yeah I'll be deferring to my accountant on how to handle the tax credit on this delivery. I have another one from earlier in 2016 so it might be wise to spread them out. I had financing approved on 12/17 so as long as I take delivery by 1/17 I should be alright. Not too worried about that if it ships by 12/31.

Having your credit >30 days apart shouldn't be too bad, should it? Small modest fee maybe. Is it really that bad?