Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 VIN Model X Order and Delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

Let's use this thread to list out people who received a 2017 VIN. For those who received such a VIN, could you provide your order date and estimated delivery that was provided by your DS?

FYI, if the 8th character of the VIN (going from the right) is an H, then it's a 2017 VIN. Example 5YJXCDE23HF027633.

Order Sat 7/28, Confirmed 8/1 VIN 8/1 Delivery late Aug-Sept '17

Just collected my MX 100D yesterday here n the U.K. (Ordered 24 Apr, Confirmed 7 May, End of line (built) 31 May, Delivered 1 Aug)

Was told by my DS that they haulted production of the MX for a month to sort out quality issues (April? May?). Could explain some of the delays mentioned above. Mine was pretty good, no major issues, and just had it detailed and done with Opticoat + today, guy said it was the best paint job he's seen on an MX.

With regards to sequential VIN numbers, in the beginning they were released sequentially. It is believed that Tesla purposely began randomizing the VIN numbers to prevent traders from predicting production numbers. Tesla never admitted to this, so this is all speculation.

Also, it is believed that Tesla groups vehicles with similar build to make things more efficient. For example, sending a big batch of Red cars to paint so that they don't have to change-out the color between vehicles.

Also, parts shortages can cause some builds to be pulled off the line until parts arrive. For example, running out of 22" wheels could delay those builds.

Finally, Tesla does batch per region as well, leaving west-coast deliveries for end-of-quarter and international deliveries at beginning of quarter.

Lots of reasons why VIN numbers are not delivered sequentially.
This makes a lot of sense. (RE randomized SN and batch builds)

Interesting there are domestic (USA) orders from July not done yet (or saying due in late September-October). I just put in an order today for an X100D and was told yesterday by my OA that 'there were September production slots available' in order to get delivery in September for the Alliant financing deal. (Sig has details on the order, and I'll post the VIN when I get it later this week (?).)

But if orders from July for the Northeast are still waiting and saying maybe October, eek.... :D

Interesting.

Placed order on 4 Aug. Order confirmed 9 Aug. No VIN assigned, but showing delivery range of November / Early December. UK Delivery.

Whats interesting here is that when I placed the order, tesla.com said October delivery. Today, tesla.com is saying Late October delivery....yet, my delivery estimate showing November / December!

Called and emailed Tesla - and they said sorry....but it is what it is.

So....new buyers be aware.....your Tesla may be delayed given incorrect / false information on Tesla website.

Interesting.

Placed order on 4 Aug. Order confirmed 9 Aug. No VIN assigned, but showing delivery range of November / Early December. UK Delivery.

Whats interesting here is that when I placed the order, tesla.com said October delivery. Today, tesla.com is saying Late October delivery....yet, my delivery estimate showing November / December!

Called and emailed Tesla - and they said sorry....but it is what it is.

So....new buyers be aware.....your Tesla may be delayed given incorrect / false information on Tesla website.
Overseas definitely seem to have the delayed info and delayed delivery... Domestic always have the 'finish east coast US late in the quarter' and here we go again.... I'm checking with my DS, which I just got assigned, to see what the status is. Not much point in a promo rate if they can't stick to a schedule! :D

Adding, I bet it still gets here in September to count in Q3... just like every quarter... If it wasn't for the financing, I'd almost rather have October and not be in the EOQ rush!

Reactions: Rossy
Overseas definitely seem to have the delayed info and delayed delivery... Domestic always have the 'finish east coast US late in the quarter' and here we go again.... I'm checking with my DS, which I just got assigned, to see what the status is. Not much point in a promo rate if they can't stick to a schedule! :D

Adding, I bet it still gets here in September to count in Q3... just like every quarter... If it wasn't for the financing, I'd almost rather have October and not be in the EOQ rush!

I just did the tour last week. I think it was said earlier that euro right hand drive cars are kind of collected and shipped at once and all the other mentions (I had seen this earlier in the thread too). Funny enough during the tour the production line looked nothing short of completely random. Model S and Model X were assembled together and followed each other in the line ups. So did random colors as well as the random right hand drive versions and options and packages etc.

It kind of makes it difficult to make sense of what the Supply Chain methods are...to recap, random serial numbers; random regional builds; random colors; random model types. Its like a rublic's cube - theres a way to solve it but to the untrained eye, it just looks like a bunch of random things with no order. Random from the outside looking in but the wizard of Supply Chain at Tesla knows exactly whats going on!!

65879, ordered 8th Aug, confirmed 11th Aug. AP2 100D with folding 7 seats to replace my AP1 P90D (000247) with 6 "sculptural" seats: more room for my planes with 50 miles longer range!

At order delivery predicted "Late September", confirmation predicts "September - Early October"

Last edited: