Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 VIN Model X Order and Delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New to the forums, and looking forward to delivery of my 100D!

Order date: 10/18/17
Confirmation: 10/21/17
Production started: ??
Anticipated delivery: Mid Dec
VIN: 75XXX

Things have been a bit strange for me, wondering if others have heard of anything similar:

- week of 11/30, i received a call from the production team asking if i was interested in bypassing installation of the tow hitch for a $750 credit. I can still keep the tow hitch (standard) option but they would just install it at a later time (i’d bring the car in, wait a few hours for installation). Of course if i forego the (standard option) today, and want it later, i’d pay $1250 to have it added later, giving Tesla a $500 discount essentially on saving them the inventory and getting installations sooner who need it.

- week of 12/4, DS informed me that my car was ahead of schedule and we could schedule a tentative delivery date of 12/16 in Fremont (i’m in the Bay Area). Website never updated and still read: “Your Tesla order has been confirmed and scheduled for production in our factory.”

This seemed a bit odd to me, reading on this forum, i see plenty of folks who’s status updated to reflect production. I called today to speak to my DS, and now he’s saying production has updated my status 2 days ago for completion 12/20. When i asked what has changed, he said “maybe production team needed more time for inspection, and they haven’t moved in a couple days”. He seemed completely in the dark about what it was that was actually causing the delay. This seems extremely strange to me. He then back tracked and said, it also may be due to parts.

So now i’m waiting another 24 hours for him to reach out to the production team and find out what is going on with my car.

Reactions: Reciprocity
1. MyTesla is notoriously behind actual schedule - makes us happier when it arrives before we expect it (J/K). Seriously, through each of my orders the MyTesla is nice, but somewhat inaccurate and if the guy at the factory forgets to scan the code to update your account (or however the system works) you could be way behind.

My DS advised me the other day that my car was done and ready to put on a truck, but MyTesla still said in production....until just early this morning.

Your timing is interesting - I ordered my P100D, Vin 78XXX on 11/10 and am scheduled to pick it up 12/20 in MD. I know they build them in batches but I'm shocked yours is delayed so much.

Did you change your order at all? Perhaps it was a parts delay - that is their biggest challenge.

I know they are overwhelmed trying to get as many units out the door this qtr, perhaps there was an issue with yours that pushed it back in the queue to get it fixed before shipping (i.e. bad seal when water test), paint problem (which they are notorious for).

I know you are excited but likely it was a delay to fix a problem - better now than later.

1. MyTesla is notoriously behind actual schedule - makes us happier when it arrives before we expect it (J/K). Seriously, through each of my orders the MyTesla is nice, but somewhat inaccurate and if the guy at the factory forgets to scan the code to update your account (or however the system works) you could be way behind.

My DS advised me the other day that my car was done and ready to put on a truck, but MyTesla still said in production....until just early this morning.

Your timing is interesting - I ordered my P100D, Vin 78XXX on 11/10 and am scheduled to pick it up 12/20 in MD. I know they build them in batches but I'm shocked yours is delayed so much.

Did you change your order at all? Perhaps it was a parts delay - that is their biggest challenge.

I know they are overwhelmed trying to get as many units out the door this qtr, perhaps there was an issue with yours that pushed it back in the queue to get it fixed before shipping (i.e. bad seal when water test), paint problem (which they are notorious for).

I know you are excited but likely it was a delay to fix a problem - better now than later.
Thanks for the reply! No changes to order (except passing on the tow hitch). I did go with a custom order of PUP and white on white, but nothing else unique about it.

Thanks for the reply! No changes to order (except passing on the tow hitch). I did go with a custom order of PUP and white on white, but nothing else unique about it.

Wow....I'm surprised on your timing, particularly for a CA delivery. Not surprised by the MyTesla, but the length of time to build yours.

The tow hitch is funny, mine is coming with one so I don't think it was a supply side issue.

There are SEVERAL White on White with PUP on the inventory list - maybe you want to try to switch to one of those for a discount:

Tesla Inventory List - Find your next car

Things have been a bit strange for me, wondering if others have heard of anything similar:

- week of 11/30, i received a call from the production team asking if i was interested in bypassing installation of the tow hitch for a $750 credit. I can still keep the tow hitch (standard) option but they would just install it at a later time (i’d bring the car in, wait a few hours for installation). Of course if i forego the (standard option) today, and want it later, i’d pay $1250 to have it added later, giving Tesla a $500 discount essentially on saving them the inventory and getting installations sooner who need it.

- week of 12/4, DS informed me that my car was ahead of schedule and we could schedule a tentative delivery date of 12/16 in Fremont (i’m in the Bay Area). Website never updated and still read: “Your Tesla order has been confirmed and scheduled for production in our factory.”

This seemed a bit odd to me, reading on this forum, i see plenty of folks who’s status updated to reflect production. I called today to speak to my DS, and now he’s saying production has updated my status 2 days ago for completion 12/20. When i asked what has changed, he said “maybe production team needed more time for inspection, and they haven’t moved in a couple days”. He seemed completely in the dark about what it was that was actually causing the delay. This seems extremely strange to me. He then back tracked and said, it also may be due to parts.

So now i’m waiting another 24 hours for him to reach out to the production team and find out what is going on with my car.

Wow interesting story. Strange that they reached out to you about the tow hitch. I guess that is proving to be an issue for them as many have reported that the tow hitch is missing when they do the delivery inspection. It seems to have been happening quite a bit since August. Here is my order scenario:

X75D
VIN 76720
Ordered 10/21/17
Confirmed 10/24/17
White Pearl, with white interior and carbon fiber, 7 seater, No PuP
Delivery scheduled for 12/24

I was thinking that I got on their naughty list as my OA mentioned mid November for the delivery at first (but then changed the next day when I placed the order). From what I can see they produce the cars in sprints/cycles of 75/100 kw batteries. So there will be a week where nothing but 75kw cars, then a week of nothing but 100's and so on. So my order must have been planned at the late side of one of those gaps. I think it's also likely that they ranked us late on the list because they knew we could pick up the car locally and didn't have to account for shipping. I've been dying to hear from my DS moving up delivery but it just looks like that is not going to happen.

12/24/17 it is then.

btw my webpage still shows "order is confirmed and scheduled for production in our factory"

Yea i was (pleasantly) surprised when the DS informed me of a tentative delivery within a weeks time. But alas was too good to be true. In the end, i’d much rather have delivery with as little issues as possible vs having it sooner, but of course that transparency has been lacking for me.

Yea i was (pleasantly) surprised when the DS informed me of a tentative delivery within a weeks time. But alas was too good to be true. In the end, i’d much rather have delivery with as little issues as possible vs having it sooner, but of course that transparency has been lacking for me.

Totally agree, but it's nice to hear that they made you that offer versus just saying nothing and leaving the tow hitch off (as it seems they have done for so many). So that is a plus for the transparency side. I have been holding out for a delay and them having to put me in a P100D for the same price to make their delivery quota for the year... dang!

I spoke too soon as well. My 100D has some glass damage that will take a few days to repair (getting parts), so delivery is getting pushed out.

Ugh! Sorry to hear about the glass damage!

Just did some research, and now i know what an OA is! Any recommendations on an OA that has been helpful for me to reach out to? I haven’t been assigned one yet (assuming thats what usually happens). PM is fine if you have one you like.

Update: reached out to the leadership working with my DS. He pretty much expressed the same lack of knowledge but they believe 12/20 is a more appropriate delivery date (tentatively scheduled again).

Just seems like I’m asking for the world when all I’m looking for is visibility on what is the reason for date change. Makes me worried about what production issues they ran into, especially after reading all the issues seen here (misalignments, paint, etc). Almost feels like delivery and production teams work for two entirely different companies and don’t have any visibility into one another’s status.

I'm suppose to take delivery of an in inventory build this Saturday. My situation may be different because I switched from custom build to inventory last week due to tax credit. My account had not updated since my original deposit, still says I'll be contacted by a DS which has happened but still no change to account. The model X did switch however and I got a vin immediately with the switch. Original order was confirmed on 11/22 with an estimated delivery of Jan/Feb.

Just noticed that the spec sheet of my X switched to “No Tow Package” once it moved into production. Did anyone else notice this? I have been seeing a lot of complaints about tow package being missing on delivery as well.

Ordered 10-26
Confirmed 10-29
In production 11-27
Delivery set for 12-22
MyTesla STILL shows in production...but my DES says I am 100% good for 12-22 delivery...

Just checked the spec sheet though and "Towing Package" is still "included"

Reactions: DoubleDownOn9
Hmm, mine was ordered on 11/13. 100D Fremont delivery. And my DS tentatively put me down for 12/27 delivery. But if your timeline (>2 months) applies to mine, then delivery will not be until mid January. If that is true then my DS's estimation is off my a large amount :(.

Hmm, mine was ordered on 11/13. 100D Fremont delivery. And my DS tentatively put me down for 12/27 delivery. But if your timeline (>2 months) applies to mine, then delivery will not be until mid January. If that is true then my DS's estimation is off my a large amount :(.

I think the main takeaway is they really are living minute by minute at this point to get as many units out the door for 2017(investor relations, etc).

6 days until I’m supposed to take delivery, and I’ve asked for daily updates on status from my DS.