Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 VIN Model X Order and Delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

Let's use this thread to list out people who received a 2017 VIN. For those who received such a VIN, could you provide your order date and estimated delivery that was provided by your DS?

FYI, if the 8th character of the VIN (going from the right) is an H, then it's a 2017 VIN. Example 5YJXCDE23HF027633.

Got my VIN today and is a "G" I think my build slot is on Jan 30th! Estimated delivery is Late January 2017 or Feb, hopefully they will re-assign the VIN as it is clearly a 2017 model being build in 2017.

Something I noticed in last year's Vins.

Model X Signature 5YJXCAE47GFS00151 | Tesla

That is Signature 151. They built 507 MX units in Q4 of 2015 and yet this is a 2016 Vin # with GF. I suppose the window sticker would say which month it was built in but if they really built the signatures first and had built over 500 during 2015, wouldn't that Vin be an FF rather than GF Vin #?

Anyway - in your case, you may need to officially request a true 2017 Vin # with HF designation.

Something I noticed in last year's Vins.

Model X Signature 5YJXCAE47GFS00151 | Tesla

That is Signature 151. They built 507 MX units in Q4 of 2015 and yet this is a 2016 Vin # with GF. I suppose the window sticker would say which month it was built in but if they really built the signatures first and had built over 500 during 2015, wouldn't that Vin be an FF rather than GF Vin #?

Anyway - in your case, you may need to officially request a true 2017 Vin # with HF designation.
Model X debuted as a 2016 model. They never built any with 2015 VINs.

• Helpful
Reactions: andrewket
Model X debuted as a 2016 model. They never built any with 2015 VINs.

Without model years, isn't Tesla's Vin # values pertinent to which year they were built in? (ie. the basis of this thread)

I remember reading threads last year in December 2015 by people who were offered 2016 Vin #s if they would take delivery in Dec. 2015. So, there really is "no true meaning" to the Vin # year - only the "production month" as printed on the Monroney window sticker. Keep that piece of paper around to indicate production month - as would the driver-door sticker which also legally should show production month.

I'm not sure it matters what the 'true meaning' is, as most car manufacturers start selling next years cars starting around september or so. But when people are looking for used cars, they want to know the year, and it matters to them. Later is better, no?

I received a surprising phone call from Tesla today.

I ordered a Model X last week and was scheduled to have the order confirmed today. I was unofficially told by a rep that I should expect March delivery.

Today they offered to give me a 2017 VIN if I completed the financials by the end of the year. In turn I could expect direct delivery at my house in early January. Additionally I would be eligible to claim the $7500 rebate in 2016.

I assume that their motivation is to count my order for fourth quarter, but I never imagined seeing it get turned around this fast. Is this too good to be true?

Today they offered to give me a 2017 VIN if I completed the financials by the end of the year. In turn I could expect direct delivery at my house in early January. Additionally I would be eligible to claim the $7500 rebate in 2016.

I would not give them any money until you are about to take possession of the car. Your money is your leverage to make sure things are right. Also, you have no real guarantee they will deliver on time. And you will be responsible for a car that is not in your possession. This exact topic just came up on another thread in fact. You might want to read responses there, too.

I hope they are not saying things like "well if you do financials now you can have it real soon, but otherwise, sorry... it's march". That would be super uncool.

Last edited:
Confirmed mine on Nov 10th just got my VIN yesterday . Late January February delivery at the Fremont factory

OK. I'm in the same boat as 3s-a-charm. About the same confirmation date and awaiting VIN. So, if you confirmed on the 10th, then we should expect our VINs in... 17-18 days? Maybe we'll use that as a ballpark number. I was told by the DS it would be early Feb build, and if I back that up 6 weeks that's about the last week in Dec so it might be about right (they say you get your VIN about 6 weeks prior to production).

Reactions: 3s-a-charm