Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 X - just offered Camera upgrade? Physical size same?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have a 2017x with FSD and computer upgrade. Got the camera update notification today. My existing side repeater cameras have black covers - curious if these new cameras are physically the same as original or is there a slight difference.

Do they replace anything besides side repeaters?

Reactions: ElectricIAC
Have a 2017x with FSD and computer upgrade. Got the camera update notification today. My existing side repeater cameras have black covers - curious if these new cameras are physically the same as original or is there a slight difference.

Do they replace anything besides side repeaters?
The older 2.0 and the newer 2.5 are identical except in one: filter. Old is RCCC. 2.5 is RCCB.
Color filter: R=red, C=clear, B=Blue.

The one better than camera 2.5 is HW4 that skips "3". No one is known getting HW4 yet. There is a guess that Cybertruck would get that first or more logically, more expensive S/X. It's your guess.

There has not been a replacement for the rear view camera. Only 7 out of 8 external ones are affected.

Last edited:
Reactions: croman
The older 2.0 and the newer 2.5 are identical except in one: filter. Old is RCCC. 2.5 is RCCB.
Color filter: R=red, C=clear, B=Blue.

The one better than camera 2.5 is HW4 that skips "3". No one is known getting HW4 yet. There is a guess that Cybertruck would get that first or more logically, more expensive S/X. It's your guess.

There has not been a replacement for the rear view camera. Only 7 out of 8 external ones are affected.
I’ve seen that newer model Y’s have a slightly different camera than they were getting before. Are those just aesthetically different or do they have any performance improvements?

I’ve seen that newer model Y’s have a slightly different camera than they were getting before. Are those just aesthetically different or do they have any performance improvements?
It's hard to tell from the appearance: Are the filters the same? Are the resolutions the same? Are the focal lengths the same?

We need to see the video to see if there's any difference.