Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 X p100d - avg 430 kwh/mi

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All! I've been struggling understanding why my kwh/mi is so high compared to my peers. Technicians say it's because of the performance motors but I'd like to know what kind of numbers other performance model owners get. Here's my story:

2017 P100D bought in 2019 from an owner in Georgia. He got an avg of 410-430 kwh/mi (that's about 180 miles on a 260 rated battery). I also got the same range in Chicago June - Oct.
2019 - I move to Tampa (think Florida heat). I get the same kwh/mi. Techs during a service visit say it's the particular model. I keep bringing this up but get different answers to date.
2022 - I've driven about 25k miles on this X and still have the same very consistent battery usage.

Today I was shopping other vehicles and the salesperson has a performance model 3. He says he gets nearly the expected range even if he's going 90 on the highway. That's not the first time I've heard a statement like that. So then what's the deal? Anyone with a 2017 p100d Model X out there that can chime in?

Side notes: I've tried updates, chill mode, driving like a granny, coasting as much as possible etc... I've never been below 380 even on a perfect weather day. Oh and Florida & Chicago are both fairly flat, so no inclines or anything weird like that.

Curious. I'm guessing you have 22" tires? Tesla use to list that as a 10% penalty.

Out of curiosity have you tried range mode? It is under menu option steering and pedal I think. I think it used to be in another location but an OTA moved it.

I've had a '16 Sig X P90DL and currently a '17 X 100D. I've been able to get rated range on both. Both have 20" tires.

Hi All! I've been struggling understanding why my kwh/mi is so high compared to my peers. Technicians say it's because of the performance motors but I'd like to know what kind of numbers other performance model owners get. Here's my story:

2017 P100D bought in 2019 from an owner in Georgia. He got an avg of 410-430 kwh/mi (that's about 180 miles on a 260 rated battery). I also got the same range in Chicago June - Oct.
2019 - I move to Tampa (think Florida heat). I get the same kwh/mi. Techs during a service visit say it's the particular model. I keep bringing this up but get different answers to date.
2022 - I've driven about 25k miles on this X and still have the same very consistent battery usage.

Today I was shopping other vehicles and the salesperson has a performance model 3. He says he gets nearly the expected range even if he's going 90 on the highway. That's not the first time I've heard a statement like that. So then what's the deal? Anyone with a 2017 p100d Model X out there that can chime in?

Side notes: I've tried updates, chill mode, driving like a granny, coasting as much as possible etc... I've never been below 380 even on a perfect weather day. Oh and Florida & Chicago are both fairly flat, so no inclines or anything weird like that.
how fast are you driving? when/what is your alignment at? what whee size?

Today I was shopping other vehicles and the salesperson has a performance model 3. He says he gets nearly the expected range even if he's going 90 on the highway.
I don’t believe that for a moment. First, speed matters. A lot. Second, I get closer to actual miles equaling rated miles on my model X than my model 3. In the summer, my 2017 100D model X often gets the rated range or better, averaging around 310 to 315 Wh/mile. Lifetime average of 341 Wh/mile which includes substantial winter driving.

What tires do you have on? What pressure and when was it last aligned? And do you get your alignment sheet?

I have a December 2016 P100d (so it’s really a 2017) and for the last 3k miles average 355wh/mile. All city range mode on. It’s been a warm summer here. On the NC coast.

What tires do you have on? What pressure and when was it last aligned? And do you get your alignment sheet?

I have a December 2016 P100d (so it’s really a 2017) and for the last 3k miles average 355wh/mile. All city range mode on. It’s been a warm summer here. On the NC coast.
My lifetime is about the same as yours in the same car.

No way I'm using that much energy in my Oct 2016 MX P100D. For a 5000 lb car, it's getting great "milage." Rated new to go 289 mi on a full charge, and even today I can still do about 260ish (although I will never do a 100-0 battery usage event!!). I drive about 17 mi one way to work, so about 34 mi/day on a work day, and I get a long term average of about 295-300 kWh/mi. I also agree that speed matters A LOT!! Hills also matter a lot. A hilly drive takes quite a bit more energy than a flat drive at the same speed and distance. There must be some sort of addition drag or friction induced on your drive train somewhere. It is NOT true that just because you have the large motor in the back, you should only get 415 kWh/mi. I have the large motor in the back also.

100D here on aftermarket forged 22s, tire and wheel combo weighs pretty much as OEM 20s, we drive 70 miles a day on highways, avg speed 70-85 mph, 4 people, I average 340-380. Once I hit 50... I was driving downhill for 20 minutes lol, but never seen below 350 during normal driving, no matter how fast or slow it just never goes below 350... So I assume your performance is where it needs to be. IMO

p.s. I rented RWD LR model 3 once and we drove SF to LA fully loaded, at 80-85 mph and we got 180-200 avg. Those suckers have great efficiency. But not 90, that is just crazy

Not sure you should ever believe a car salesman. :)

Also the X is a big car with a lot more drag than a 3 because of the larger frontal area. Finally the EPA mileage numbers are based on a highway driving schedule that goes a maximum of 60 mph and run on a dynamometer in a lab so are of limited usage.

Reactions: Falcon73
Most people are completely full of crap when talking about their cars to other people. I mean, *gestures at TMC*, so when you hear something that sounds stupid, especially from a car salesperson, rest assured of two things

1) it's as stupid as it sounds
2) everyone else who that salesman told that "fact" to believes it because he's a car salesman so he must be an expert in cars

Sorta how everyone who works the front counter at mcdonald's is an expert in international restaurant franchising

100D here on aftermarket forged 22s, tire and wheel combo weighs pretty much as OEM 20s, we drive 70 miles a day on highways, avg speed 70-85 mph, 4 people, I average 340-380. Once I hit 50... I was driving downhill for 20 minutes lol, but never seen below 350 during normal driving, no matter how fast or slow it just never goes below 350... So I assume your performance is where it needs to be. IMO

p.s. I rented RWD LR model 3 once and we drove SF to LA fully loaded, at 80-85 mph and we got 180-200 avg. Those suckers have great efficiency. But not 90, that is just crazy
Ok, so I'm not nuts than. 10% variance could just be my driving.

Increase-in-Aerodynamic-Drag-with-increase-in-Speed-Consider-a-vehicle-having-frontal.png

Relevant.

I have the exact car...exact problem. My car can get 370 wh/mi if I'm on a level road at 70mph. My average over the last 25,000 miles is 430 wh/mi. I get my car aligned every 4 months, run the 22 performance tires inflated to 40 psi, have removed any 3rd party apps, have reset the batteries twice by running down to single digit miles and battery percentage, then slow charging to 100%. I've generated 2 trouble tickets and tried every trick. My car takes about 50% batter to go 105 miles at 73 mph. Honestly, a 150 mile leg turns into a nail biter. These cars are fun, but consume lots of power. Ironically the Tesla mobile technician was driving a 2016 P90D and he consumes about 380 wh/mi over its lifetime and admittedly he drives fast and hard (always 80 or so on the interstate). I'm in Huntsville, Alabama. (btw, a slow 8 mile drive into work consumes about 300 wh/mi when the roads keep me from going over 60 and generally around 45 mph. Any ideas? My battery at 90% says I should get about 232 miles....no way.

• Informative
I have the exact car...exact problem. My car can get 370 wh/mi if I'm on a level road at 70mph. My average over the last 25,000 miles is 430 wh/mi. I get my car aligned every 4 months, run the 22 performance tires inflated to 40 psi, have removed any 3rd party apps, have reset the batteries twice by running down to single digit miles and battery percentage, then slow charging to 100%. I've generated 2 trouble tickets and tried every trick. My car takes about 50% batter to go 105 miles at 73 mph. Honestly, a 150 mile leg turns into a nail biter. These cars are fun, but consume lots of power. Ironically the Tesla mobile technician was driving a 2016 P90D and he consumes about 380 wh/mi over its lifetime and admittedly he drives fast and hard (always 80 or so on the interstate). I'm in Huntsville, Alabama. (btw, a slow 8 mile drive into work consumes about 300 wh/mi when the roads keep me from going over 60 and generally around 45 mph. Any ideas? My battery at 90% says I should get about 232 miles....no way.
Have you tried running Scan My Tesla to see if any of the batteries modules are having issues?

Reactions: scottf200
22 performance tires inflated to 40 psi,
thats 2 issues right there...
22s are 10-15% hit vs 20s
42psi is default for 22s, most ppl go higher like 45..
(btw, a slow 8 mile drive into work consumes about 300 wh/mi when the roads keep me from going over 60 and generally around 45 mph. Any ideas? My battery at 90% says I should get about 232 miles....no way.
have u tried 60mph for full charge? i bet u get that rated or close to it
i believe those rated miles are calc'd at 340w/mi...

Have you tried running Scan My Tesla to see if any of the batteries modules are having issues?
doubt u have any issues...
BMS would pick up any issues n lower ur rated miles...

Drive more, worry less! :)

Are you 99% highway driving? If so, these numbers don't seem that far off. Efficiency just starts to tank over 60. I've found if I've got a wide open highway and I'm going 75mph that it's just terrible. But a bit of traffic slowing me down really helps the range lol

I think a lot of people who post better efficiency aren't really traveling longer distances at high rates without slowdowns, etc.

Are you 99% highway driving? If so, these numbers don't seem that far off. Efficiency just starts to tank over 60. I've found if I've got a wide open highway and I'm going 75mph that it's just terrible. But a bit of traffic slowing me down really helps the range lol

I think a lot of people who post better efficiency aren't really traveling longer distances at high rates without slowdowns, etc.
Yeah...I do a 240 mile round trip on some low rolling hills 2-3 times a week....short drives otherwise.

thats 2 issues right there...
22s are 10-15% hit vs 20s
42psi is default for 22s, most ppl go higher like 45..

have u tried 60mph for full charge? i bet u get that rated or close to it
i believe those rated miles are calc'd at 340w/mi...

doubt u have any issues...
BMS would pick up any issues n lower ur rated miles...

Drive more, worry less! :)
I'll boost the pressure. 60 mph on I-65 with a 75 mph speed limit wouldn't be worth the risk of being hit from behind! But, I'll do some testing of that theory soon.

Reactions: brainhouston