Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 X p100d - avg 430 kwh/mi

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
thats 2 issues right there...
22s are 10-15% hit vs 20s
42psi is default for 22s, most ppl go higher like 45..

#1 is hard to fix... I've been looking into it, but am wondering if I could handle it. The parts are expensive enough.

#2 45? Is that cold or under load?

I rarely exceed 70mph but prefer a little slower.

Here's my Sept report now that it's in the books. I live in South OC which is quite hilly so that doesn't help my #s. 40-60mph seems to be the best speed range. I don't do well at low speeds, but then Sept was soooo hot too.

Sept-Driving-Report.png

Last edited:
#1 is hard to fix... I've been looking into it, but am wondering if I could handle it. The parts are expensive enough.

#2 45? Is that cold or under load?

I rarely exceed 70mph but prefer a little slower.

Here's my Sept report now that it's in the books. I live in South OC which is quite hilly so that doesn't help my #s. 40-60mph seems to be the best speed range. I don't do well at low speeds, but then Sept was soooo hot too.

View attachment 858848
i never worry about cold/hot tire pressures, just fill em up to what i want as long as u don't exceed psi rating on the tires, i think for 22s its like 50psi?..
when i look at my bmw tire monitor that has pressure n temps, it goes up maybe by 2-3psi when driving, i don't think its a big issue...
in general, higher pressure will give u better rolling resistance n lower better traction but as another poster mentioned above it won't be a very significant range gain/loss unless u go very low...

~380W/mi is impressive with 22s :)

Reactions: sorka and Falcon73
Today I was shopping other vehicles and the salesperson has a performance model 3. He says he gets nearly the expected range even if he's going 90 on the highway.
A complete lie that would be disproven in a 5 minute drive on the freeway at 90 mph. Not a chance. I've had 4 model 3 loaners and they're efficiency is impressive, but the impressiveness is already built into their EPA rating. You can get rated by going between 65 and 70 on the freeway if you don't regen brake when you slightly slow down.

Hi All! I've been struggling understanding why my kwh/mi is so high compared to my peers. Technicians say it's because of the performance motors but I'd like to know what kind of numbers other performance model owners get. Here's my story:

2017 P100D bought in 2019 from an owner in Georgia. He got an avg of 410-430 kwh/mi (that's about 180 miles on a 260 rated battery). I also got the same range in Chicago June - Oct.
2019 - I move to Tampa (think Florida heat). I get the same kwh/mi. Techs during a service visit say it's the particular model. I keep bringing this up but get different answers to date.
2022 - I've driven about 25k miles on this X and still have the same very consistent battery usage.

Today I was shopping other vehicles and the salesperson has a performance model 3. He says he gets nearly the expected range even if he's going 90 on the highway. That's not the first time I've heard a statement like that. So then what's the deal? Anyone with a 2017 p100d Model X out there that can chime in?

Side notes: I've tried updates, chill mode, driving like a granny, coasting as much as possible etc... I've never been below 380 even on a perfect weather day. Oh and Florida & Chicago are both fairly flat, so no inclines or anything weird like that.
I had/still have the same issue on my December 2017 100D MX. Less than 15k miles. A couple issues you could look into:
1) there was a service bulletin for front suspension shaking at acceleration. Service center performed this repair even though I was feeling the jitter at 55mph, not acceleration. The repair didn't fix the jitter. However, if you have the jitter it will cost you mileage.
2) ride along with service center supervisor, he called out the tires. Upon investigation, one of the front stock pirellis had an inner layer of foam delaminate. It's used to lessen road noise. I switched to Michelins from Costco because I wasn't interested in spending that kind of money on replacing the original brand even it had failed at such low mileage. That fixed the problem and got me down from 460 to 350.
3) kwh/mi started creeping back up. Tire pressure had dropped to 39psi. Bringing it back up to 42 showed immediate effect. Somebody else in thread recommended 45. I will try it to see if i can get better.
4) manage your HVAC use.

Hope these recommended investigations and actions help.