Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 X With MCU2 and HW3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All,
Found a 2017 X with the MCU and HW upgrade. Also, it has the Beta version of FSD and Premium Connectivity. It is still in warranty for a for a few more months. This X was sold to the dealer by the original owner. Will Tesla remove the FSD and Premium Connectivity? The X will need front tires in the near future. Any advice on what items or issues that I should look for. Any and all suggestions is appreciated.

Thank you

This X was sold to the dealer by the original owner. Will Tesla remove the FSD and Premium Connectivity?
If Tesla never re-owned the car, FSD and premium connectivity stays with the vehicle.

Check to see if it has the shudder. Put suspension in standard, and accelerate on an on-ramp. See if you feel a notable vibration starting around 40 mph. It is something Tesla will need to address during the remaining warranty.

check:
  • all window operations
  • soft close on doors
  • all seats adjustment/operation
  • steering wheel adjustment
  • side mirror adjustment
  • seat memory/profiles
  • verify both keys work
  • falcon door weather seals
  • if you have an active spoiler, check if the stanchions are separating from the wing
  • charge port operation
  • measure 12v battery
  • check forward links to see if they have been replaced
  • underbody for damage
  • 3rd row seat latching mechanism, if you have them
  • rear trunk cargo tray pedestals

The X will need front tires in the near future.
I have a very similar X. Certainly a good thing that the HW3 (aka FSD) faster 'auto pilot' computers hardware is upgraded.

RE: front tires. Check if they wore evenly or if it is just on the inside edge which would indicate a potential alignment issue.

Aside: @Bigriver, we sure enjoyed a recent visit to Pittsburgh, PA and doing the evening segway tour.

All,
After purchasing a used Tesla from an individual and not from Tesla. Can you make an appointment with the Tesla Service Center to perform an inspection on that vehicle? I hope this question makes sense.

Thank you

All,
After purchasing a used Tesla from an individual and not from Tesla. Can you make an appointment with the Tesla Service Center to perform an inspection on that vehicle? I hope this question makes sense.

Thank you
I wouldn’t expect them to do an inspection of any sort for free. But if still under warranty, you can take it in with specific concerns and expect to have those things looked at for no cost.

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
Hey @Pacernow, I just bought a 2017 MX and love it! I'm gonna argue against what @Bigriver said above. There are plenty of threads that discuss Tesla removing FSD, Supercharging, and Premium Connectivity from vehicles that were sold by third-party dealers. Some people have posted on this forum and elsewhere that after they register the car in their name, Tesla has pulled the plug. From what I've read, some have been able to get it back by threatening to sue. Some have not had any luck. And of course, some people have said that they haven't had any issues.

If I were you, I would insist that the dealer you're buying from gives you something in writing that states the vehicle comes with this functionality and that in the event that Tesla removes it in the future they must compensate you or buy-back the car. Protect yourself.

I'm not trying to derail the OP. If anyone has comments on this, let's please keep the conversation going here.

Jose

Jose,
Thank you for your response. How do you like your 2017 X? What is the battery size?
I have a 90D. Plenty of power! There are a ton of things that I love and some that I don't. In the big love bucket are technology, seat comfort, cool-car factor, seating position with the huge windshield, over-the-air updates, and ability to upgrade (no other manufacturer would ever let you upgrade the infotainment for example). In the hate bucket are loud A/C (get ready for Texas summers, this thing is louder than a Cessna 174!), body tightness (I come from a Range Rover, which as also a 2017. That car was was always solid. This one rattles a lot), cabin noise (it's quiet on city streets, really loud on the highway), center armrest (it sound petty, but the armrest is really short and your arm dangles from the front of it and it bugs the hell out of me), and the sound system (it's garbage).

I'm an early adopter and this car feels like I'm driving a prototype in the full sense of the word. It's crazy cool and very futuristic. But it also drives and feels like a prototype. IMHO it's only 85% finished.

Would I do it again? Probably. I only wish I would have known more about the quirks so I could have made a better informed decision rather than finding all these things after the fact.

Jose

Bought a 2016 Model X P90D from a dealer with 41,000 miles on it 4 weeks ago and when I registered it on my Tesla account, in a couple of days, it said I still had the free supercharging and connectivity. I charge at home but used a supercharger a week ago and when I go into my Tesla account, it shows the date and etc. when I used the supercharger and there is no charge. So at least for me getting the free supercharging and connectivity was easy squeezy!

I just purchased a used 2017 X and they removed EAP. I tried to argue with Tesla to no avail. This car was not bought by the dealer via auction or wholesale. When I test drove it, the vehicle had EAP. Once the car was registered to my account, EAP downgraded to regular autopilot. Definitely something the dealer will have to work out with Tesla or I might just return the car. Unfortunate how petty and deceptive Tesla is.

Mark and peighty5,
Thank you for your response. Mark congratulations on your free supercharging, Mark if you charge to 100% what do you think your range will be? Peighty5 sorry to read about losing EAP. Supposedly the dealer bought this Tesla from the owner. The things I read about Tesla and their business ethics leaves me asking myself why do I want to do business with them.

Bought a 2016 Model X P90D from a dealer with 41,000 miles on it 4 weeks ago and when I registered it on my Tesla account, in a couple of days, it said I still had the free supercharging and connectivity. I charge at home but used a supercharger a week ago and when I go into my Tesla account, it shows the date and etc. when I used the supercharger and there is no charge. So at least for me getting the free supercharging and connectivity was easy squeezy!
For your reference (and the reference of any other interested party in this thread), transferrable free unlimited supercharging used to be a referral program component. According to this article, that was the case until March 2017. This would mean the supercharging should transfer for any 2016 X that had it at purchase (but might not if it went through Tesla before being auctioned to a 3rd party dealer and simply didn't yet reflect Tesla's removal during their ownership). This thread is about trying to game the system in order to keep (read: steal) the non-transferrable version, which was available sometimes after March 2017 and up until May 2020.