Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2018.10.4 - "Cruise Control Disabled"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not to dump on anyone, but I've never heard of 'factory reset' being recommended by Tesla for anything. It's for when you need to clear personal data on selling the vehicle. Happy to be corrected, but I've read a lot of stories here, and that has not come up. It's not like a BIOS reset for a PC, for example, for one analogy.

They *have* had me turn the power off from the menu, wait five minutes and reboot the car that way, to see if it did anything more than a MCU reboot. (This was for the dreaded 2017.42 bricked AP2.5 issue, and it did not help. Flatbed to the SC that was...)

I said reboot via the screen.

Ahh, I think I see why you called it a "reboot via the screen".
That phrase does little to distinguish 3. and 4. below.
It is much clearer to refer to this by its title, as a "Power Off".

There are at least four (4 and counting) distinct re-somethings (reset, restart, and reboot are different things).
Here is my proposed terminology:
1. "Reboot the Center Console" by holding down both scroll wheels.
2. "Reboot the Binacle" by holding down both up arrow buttons.
3. "Factory Reset" via the menu. Warning: All personal settings, favorites, trips, etc. will be lost!
4. "Power Off" restart via the menu.

Any more?
Next up, documenting what each of these does and is used for.

I have this version too. It slows down suddenly in AP mode whenever it crests a hill. Have been flipped off several times by drivers. Then it sometimes kicks out of AP, sometimes it doesn't. When it slows down 20mph all of a sudden, I worry about being rear ended.

It's not like it doesn't have enough HP. I wonder if near the top of the hill, cameras don't see the ground properly.

Also, AP is not available on sections of roads it used to be available for. It may suddenly speed up to 10mph above speed limit as soon as AP engages, even though I never set it that way.

On the up side, it does see the median better now, even when no yellow line is present.

Called my SC, we tried reinstalling the latest firmware 2018.12 (the one with the Maps updates!).
Now its worse, namely Cruise Control will not enable at all.
The alert! I get is "Cruise Not Available"

They are checking the logs again.
Turns out you can help place a timestamp into the logs by issuing the voice command "Bug Report" and then you have about 5 seconds to describe the issue. When it works, you will get an alert! back saying something like "Thank You for your feedback".
It helps them locate the specific error your logging.

Update on my issue, "Cruise Control Disabled".

SC replaced cameras and AP ECU
- INLINE TRIPLE CAM, M3 (1120520-00-B)
- ASSY,AUTOPILOT.ECU,2.5 - FUSED (1125800-70-C)

Recalibration took 29 miles and I'm back in business!
- works (enable-able) in all the old places
- less drunken teenager pingponging with version 2018.16.
- happy camper

My theory: One of the camera cables became detached. The issue was not related to a specific firmware version.

I have this version too. It slows down suddenly in AP mode whenever it crests a hill. Have been flipped off several times by drivers.

@tmxninja, There is a known hill crest behavior, namely the car jerks right at the creThis is one of those conditions everyone knows about.st. This is "normal", AP does not know how to deal with a loss of both lines at once. It affects AP 2.x, I do not know if AP 1.0 is effected.

:) Flipping a driver off is a "kind reminder" in New England, in California it can get you killed.

Preaching to the choir here: Beware anytime AP is used, including hills. If you expect AP to do anything more than Level 2 autonomy, don't use it. Its a very dumb driving aid. Personally it is only relaxingly useful in stop and go traffic on divided roads, at < 30mph, perfect lines, sunny day, and 7 birds on the roof. Any deviation from that, AP quickly becomes a nerve-racking (but fun) potentially deadly science experiment.

• Informative
Reactions: daktari
Update on my issue, "Cruise Control Disabled".

SC replaced cameras and AP ECU
- INLINE TRIPLE CAM, M3 (1120520-00-B)
- ASSY,AUTOPILOT.ECU,2.5 - FUSED (1125800-70-C)

Recalibration took 29 miles and I'm back in business!
- works (enable-able) in all the old places
- less drunken teenager pingponging with version 2018.16.
- happy camper

My theory: One of the camera cables became detached. The issue was not related to a specific firmware version.

@tmxninja, There is a known hill crest behavior, namely the car jerks right at the creThis is one of those conditions everyone knows about.st. This is "normal", AP does not know how to deal with a loss of both lines at once. It affects AP 2.x, I do not know if AP 1.0 is effected.

:) Flipping a driver off is a "kind reminder" in New England, in California it can get you killed.

Preaching to the choir here: Beware anytime AP is used, including hills. If you expect AP to do anything more than Level 2 autonomy, don't use it. Its a very dumb driving aid. Personally it is only relaxingly useful in stop and go traffic on divided roads, at < 30mph, perfect lines, sunny day, and 7 birds on the roof. Any deviation from that, AP quickly becomes a nerve-racking (but fun) potentially deadly science experiment.
Every hill crest I know of was/has been handled by 2018.10.4, so... unless it's something really weird.. :D

Yes, nothing in your original description sounded like it was firmware rev dependent, it sounded like hardware broken/missing (cable detached), etc. Glad you're working again!

I have a 2013 Model S and upon getting on Interstate 25 this morning, getting up to the 75mph speed, I tried to set cruise control and it said “Cruise Control Disabled.” This is a first in 5.5 years of ownership.

Called Tesla Support, they checked the logs, found the “cruise fault” errors in the logs but they’re stumped as to what it might be. They said it could be any of a dozen causes.

I fear my poor 93500-mi car is soon going to find itself on a flatbed being towed 400-mi to the nearest service center in Colorado.

Ggggrrrrrrrrrrumble.

I got the "Driver Assistance not Available" warning yesterday after skiing. Car sat for ~ 5 hrs at altitude and no cell service. Called Tesla whilst supercharging and they saw camera errors in log. Service agent tried to tell me that I had cameras in my B posts (wrong - I'm AP1)
We rebooted - center screen, dash screen - no luck.
Power off reboot cleared the error message.
I continued my trip ~ 150 miles and in the last 30 miles autopilot went waay buggy.
Stopped to power off reboot with no improvement.
Called Tesla again and they found that my car had gone dark on their screens since the initial reboot.
Rebooted again and they found me.
The logs showed issues with the front-facing camera (AP1 has only 1 camera) and elevated the issue to the OTA guys.
Waiting to see if OTA fix works otherwise it's in to service and I'm out of warranty.

Bummer! I am very curious what the problem turns out to be, and at what cost. If the car went dark to Tesla (within cellular range), might be more involved than the (likely less expensive) sensor array.

I just helped my brother-in-law purchase a used 2016 90D AP1 Model S with not much time left on the bumper to bumper warranty. And in the process explored the value of an extended warranty. The consensus was it was NOT worth it. This will be a test of that conclusion. I would like think that even a new MCU would not be super expensive.

Photo of the Error Code Dl_w124

Attachments

• E97E7237-208A-4656-8B1C-531BBA08E898.jpeg
    E97E7237-208A-4656-8B1C-531BBA08E898.jpeg
    513.4 KB · Views: 160