Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2018.10.4 - "Cruise Control Disabled"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have been limited in my ability to test 2018.10.4, because AP will not engage consistently.
This behavior is new. Prior to 2018.10.4, AP was almost always engageable.
Curious if others have experienced a reluctance for AP to engage since upgrading to 2018.10.4?
FYI: I have a Model S 75 with AP 2.5, purchased new in Aug 2017.

AP engagement issues I've seen since upgrading to 2018.10.4:
1. AP Is often completely disabled, "Cruise Control Disabled"
2. Sometimes it reports "Autosteer Temporarily Unavailable"
3. When When Autosteer does engage, it sometimes reverts, says something like "Cruise Control limited to XX MPH"

I cannot identify why the dis-ablement occurs. Same road, same speed, no traffic, clear lines, clear daytime. It will be working fine, I'll disengage it manually to pass a car or something, I'll try to engage AP again and it will be disabled?

When it dis-engages I have tried:
1. turning the car off.
2. rebooting both screens
3. cleaning of the sensors (which were not dirty)
4. disabling and re-enabling the menu items

But when it does re-enable, it is not due to any of those actions.
After exiting the car for an hour, upon return, sometimes AP is re-enabled sometimes not?!

The first time it completely dis-engaged "Cruise Control Disabled", I thought it was because of several manual dis-engagements I did in succession, like it gave up and said "Ok dude, thats enough for now". Then I though it might be certain roads were black listed or something.

But there is no consistency to the dis-ablements nor enablements. Its feels random.

When it does engage, I have noticed many differences:
A. Sonar indicators are more responsive and they show RED more often.
B. Less ping ponging
C. Lane changing is smoother

I'm feeling dis-jointed...:)

I'd recommend calling the Tesla Support number, same one that's on your release number screen, talk to 'technical support' and they can check the car's logs and see what's up. It could be a hardware problem that was there all along and that 10.4 is more sensitive to.

If you call them during a quiet time (before the west coast (<cough> all those California Tesla owners<cough> :D wake up) you get through quickly!

This sounds like user error. With 2018.10.4 the availability of the AS sometimes blinks in and out. If you double pull the AP stalk, it will give those error messages if you're a hair too slow. That doesn't mean anything is wrong, just that AS confidence level is variable due to conditions that are changing on the road and it allowed enablement at first and then dropped confidence below where the system would permit it be engaged. 2018.10.4 is just faster and establishing and taking away confidence.

I got this consistently after a December update, it was a corroded contact in a side repeater camera. Logs will tell I guess.
Other inconsistent occurrences are when slush/ice builds on the front fender in front of the radar, and of course what from an says.

Thanks for the comments guys.

I didn't want to bug them, but I'll give Dad a call in the morning, when California sleeps.
I did try just now, quess what I heard?, "All circuits are busy". Must be that darn new update!

"User error"... not this time, never touched the stalk. Just got back from an errand, my normal route, where normally AP is always fully available. This trip, it never enabled. Nothing on the center console except the car and the open road, no lines, no speed limit icons, nothing. Something seems definitely busted...how fun. I can't wait to see how this gets fixed.

If one is happy when their car breaks, I'm pretty sure that's the definition of "the best car ever"!

• Informative
Reactions: boaterva and croman
I've had the "cruise disabled" every few days since 2018.10.4 - never saw it before this upgrade. I have not called but it seems a manual reboot via the screen will get it functional again but I don't think you can do that while driving (although it is fairly quick - maybe at a stoplight). Let us know what the SC says if you call.

You can do the scroll wheels reboot while moving since it’s the MCU you are rebooting. Still more comforting to do so when stopped. :D

This still sounds like something is pickier with 10.4 and has decided to not play nicely. I bet a look at the logs tells all and am looking forward to the answer!

I spoke with Telsa yesterday, they created a case and said that they would get back to me. The guy did see the disengagement "errors" in the log, but any more detail was above his pay grade.

Meanwhile, a short summary of my issue continues to be...cruise control will enable after the car has rested (slept over night :). It will activate, but it is touchy. It seems to work fine until it encounters a situation, like a car pulling out in front of me, and then a it goes all completely "Cruise Control Disabled" on me until after the next rest (no reboot required). I will try the menu based hard reset. More to come...

I spoke with Telsa yesterday, they created a case and said that they would get back to me. The guy did see the disengagement "errors" in the log, but any more detail was above his pay grade.

Meanwhile, a short summary of my issue continues to be...cruise control will enable after the car has rested (slept over night :). It will activate, but it is touchy. It seems to work fine until it encounters a situation, like a car pulling out in front of me, and then a it goes all completely "Cruise Control Disabled" on me until after the next rest (no reboot required). I will try the menu based hard reset. More to come...
Do auto high beams & auto rain wipers still work?

Do auto high beams & auto rain wipers still work?

Bingo! Someone flashed me tonight.
After "Cruise Not Available" occurs, auto high beams do not work.
And I can repeat it now.

Here is (one) sequence I can repeat:
1. Enable TACC with no car ahead
2. As car ahead is approached, Cruise Control disables and displays "Cruise Not Available" and auto high beams stop working.
This occurs in two steps: first acceleration goes to zero, and then prior to deceleration (regen or brakes), the system disables. Almost like because it cannot slow down, it disables.
And its quite an event. An image of a steering wheel appears on the center console and flashes in RED, scaring the *sugar* out me.

3. At that point one of two things occur:
a. The message "Cruise Not Available" soon goes away, and the system re-enables and I can re-engage again.
b. The "Cruise Not Available" message stays on the screen and the system remains disabled, until she can rest again (shut completely off for a while).

Maybe AKnet is just learning?
I believe AKnet is Tesla's name for Andrej Karpathy's Nueral Net in 2018.10.4.

And dang nabit, I still have not menu reset.
I just wanted to document this repeatability.
I will do that and see if this behavior goes away.

@Daniellane: Good to know about the auto high beam failure. I'll use them manually until this is resolved. Thanks!
Fun stuff!

Bingo! Someone flashed me tonight.
After "Cruise Not Available" occurs, auto high beams do not work.
And I can repeat it now.

Here is (one) sequence I can repeat:
1. Enable TACC with no car ahead
2. As car ahead is approached, Cruise Control disables and displays "Cruise Not Available" and auto high beams stop working.
This occurs in two steps: first acceleration goes to zero, and then prior to deceleration (regen or brakes), the system disables. Almost like because it cannot slow down, it disables.
And its quite an event. An image of a steering wheel appears on the center console and flashes in RED, scaring the *sugar* out me.

3. At that point one of two things occur:
a. The message "Cruise Not Available" soon goes away, and the system re-enables and I can re-engage again.
b. The "Cruise Not Available" message stays on the screen and the system remains disabled, until she can rest again (shut completely off for a while).

Maybe AKnet is just learning?
I believe AKnet is Tesla's name for Andrej Karpathy's Nueral Net in 2018.10.4.

And dang nabit, I still have not menu reset.
I just wanted to document this repeatability.
I will do that and see if this behavior goes away.

@Daniellane: Good to know about the auto high beam failure. I'll use them manually until this is resolved. Thanks!
Fun stuff!
Went through this myself.
ECU, Camera or cable or all 3.

I've had the "cruise disabled" every few days since 2018.10.4 - never saw it before this upgrade. I have not called but it seems a manual reboot via the screen will get it functional again but I don't think you can do that while driving (although it is fairly quick - maybe at a stoplight). Let us know what the SC says if you call.

Menu reboot clears personal settings.
But they get restored upon re-login correct?
There is that list of what gets restored on the profile dialog...maybe I just answered my own question.

I did not see any loss of any settings. Plus it is very fast.

The menu based "Factory Reset" did not help.
Autopilot remains intermittent. My current theory is either hardware (loose wire, etc. as @Daniellane suggested) or a bad firmware load.
I created a case with Tesla and the service center is currently reviewing my logs, and will likely call me in for service.
I will report the results here.

Beware, I lost several settings during the Factory Reset, some forever. And it took about seven minutes to fully reboot.
So overall, incomplete information from @KArnold.

Settings that could be manually restored included re-creation of my Profile (although several settings had to be manually restored), Homelink setup (although auto close/open takes some GPS fiddling).
Lost forever is my precious trip data (I had one trip that was set upon delivery and was tracking my lifetime energy usage), and my extensive list of music favorites from my USB drive is gone.
I had taken some scrreenshots of the settings screens before reset, but not all :)

• Disagree
Reactions: KArnold