TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

2018.10.5 Arrived

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by BhamMod3, Mar 25, 2018.

1. BhamMod3

BhamMod3 Member

Just got a push notification and installed it. Includes unlocking "improvements" and rearranged touch screen icons.

Attached Files:

• Informative x 8
    • Like x 1
  2. Robocheme

Robocheme Member

I'm still on 2017.50.13. What was your previous version before 2018.10.5?

3. BhamMod3

BhamMod3 Member

2018.10.4. got it a couple weeks ago i think.

4. Robocheme

Robocheme Member

OK, thanks

5. doubleohwhat

doubleohwhat Member

I was hoping the next model 3 release would include the AP2 update that the S and X received :/

6. run-the-joules

run-the-joules Active Member

It wasn’t mentioned in the s/x notes. Probably won’t be for the 3 either.

Summon, WiFi, right scroll wheel usability on the other hand will probably be called out when/if we get them.

• Like x 2
  7. insaneoctane

insaneoctane Active Member

I heard that ...I'm totally surprised that they would not mention a total rewrite as something in the notes, if not just for safety!

• Like x 1
  8. run-the-joules

run-the-joules Active Member

My expectation is that they’ll only call out new features in AP, e.g., “autopilot now automatically overtakes slower traffic” rather than things that are harder to demonstrate.

9. xav-

xav- Active Member

I highly doubt that "total rewrite" comment was supposed to get out. I would not be surprised if he got yelled at for making that comment.

• Like x 2
  10. Gwgan

Gwgan Almost a wagon

You can keep a log for yourself and help the community by entering your updates on ev-fw.com.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  11. BhamMod3

BhamMod3 Member

couple things i've noticed on 2018.10.5: the turn signal sound is less annoying and the backup camera is much better quality

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  12. SigNC

SigNC Member

You sure you weren't on 2018.4.9? Only versions we've seen for the 3 for 2018 are 2018.4.9, 2018.4.18, 2018.10.1, and now 2018.10.5.

13. Randy Spencer

Randy Spencer Member

Just got the car yesterday and installed the update last night, so I will really only ever know this new version and beyond. Although I did experience the locking and unlocking as I walked around the car taking pictures yesterday, and already saw this morning that that no longer happens.

I read on Twitter that the update uses a new mapping system. Not familiar with the old mapping system as I was driving home and not looking at the maps last night. What's the difference, or is there no on-screen difference and only data changes between old and new?

-Randy

• Like x 1
  14. BhamMod3

BhamMod3 Member

you're right. it was 2018.4.9. thanks for keeping me straight.

15. azred

azred Active Member

I noticed the discussion quickly veered away from the supposed purpose of the update so I will attempt to get it back on topic.

I have found the smartphone key via our two iPhone 7’s to be buggy. Sometimes it opens the car immediately when I approach. Sometimes it requires opening the app. Sometimes the car works fine with the phone in the designated charging position. Sometimes it asks for the key card and will only go if I reopen the app and move the phone off its charging spot. The SC supposedly fixed this on a recent visit but it is still just as buggy.

Perhaps this new firmware will help — my car doesn’t have it yet. If not, I suspect Tesla is going to have a line outside their service center doors to resolve this issue as production accelerates. A physical key fob may be the only solution for the short term. Bluetooth is everywhere but this is not the first application that has had problems with Bluetooth reliability and consistency.

16. ℬête Noire

ℬête Noire Active Member

#16 ℬête Noire, Mar 26, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2018
    iOS is aggressive about swapping a background application out of RAM into the flash memory, for performance reasons. If you are using other apps that in total are using a lot of RAM. Safari, if it has a lot of web pages open, is such an application.

This swapping into flash memory is entirely seamless for the user, you can't really tell when it's happened, and when an app is swapped into flash memory it normally no longer responds in the background. I suspect that's why bringing the Tesla app back to the foreground lets it function again.

Apple will on a case-by-case basis give protection from this swapping algorithm to a 3rd party's app. The list for that is fairly exclusive and the process for getting on the list isn't publicly documented (and probably isn't entirely spelled out internally, either) so it could be some time before Tesla gets that, if they are even trying at this point.

• Disagree x 3
    • Informative x 2
    • Like x 1
  17. BhamMod3

BhamMod3 Member

i had some pretty major issues with the smartphone key (android) working before 2018.4.9 but it's been almost 100% reliable since then. sometimes i have to push the door handle to manually trigger the unlock but it unlocks immediately if i do. i think with the new update, pushing the door handle (or trunk) is the only way to get it to unlock - supposedly to be more secure but maybe to keep from unlocking/relocking repeatedly while walking near the car in the garage, etc...

18. azred

azred Active Member

Interesting analysis but rather discouraging if your suspicion is on target. For the time being I think I’ll just make it a habit to take out my phone and open the app when approaching the car. Not sure what to do about the car occasionally asking for the key card once I am in the car and ready to drive — maybe just not place the phone on the “shelf” designate for charging unless in desperate need of a recharge.

19. Stoneymonster

Stoneymonster Active Member

BLE will open the app in the background when it acquires its paired endpoint. I.e. even if Tesla is terminated, the car connecting to the phone should start it. So termination is not the issue here.

• Like x 3
    • Informative x 2
  20. SigNC

SigNC Member

Now, go test EAP and see if it's same as 10.4 on the S/X :)

• Like x 3
    • Helpful x 1