Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2018.10.5 Arrived

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I now have the new firmware too and my IPhone 7 still isn't playing nice with my 3. Sometimes the car opens with the phone in my pocket and sometimes not. And now after getting in the car it is a crap shoot if the main screen will ask for the key card or not even though moments earlier I used the phone to get in the car.

This smartphone key is about the dumbest solution to a nonexistent problem I have every heard of. Key fobs admittedly are overpriced for their limited functionality (my wife lost one and it cost nearly $400!) but at least they work consistently.

Recommend having your phone "forget" the car in the Bluetooth setting, then re-pairing. That often fixes issues similar to that.

• Informative
Reactions: dhrivnak and DR61
Got my Model 3 today and installed the 10.5 update as soon as I got home. The “about your Tesla” screen shows that I have 10.5 now but it also says “Software Update Required, Contact Tesla Service”. Not sure why this is displaying. Waiting for a customer service person on their 800 number now to see what needs to be done. Anyone else experience this? I did the reboot with the two wheel buttons but the message did not go away.
View attachment 290319

So I called the Tesla service number last night and gave up after being on hold for 35 minutes. Tried again early this morning and someone answered immediately (mental note, call when the West coast is still sleeping). The guy I spoke with looked at the logs and says that the 10.5 update did not install successfully on my Model 3. However I got all of the associated updates with it as far as I can tell (updated backup camera, heated rear seats, etc). He said that my autopilot probably won’t work until the update install issue is resolved and that he would escalate it to whatever team handles this stuff. I had called before 8am Eastern time so no one was available to look at my specific issue when I called. Guy said someone from the other team would give me a call but I haven’t heard from anyone yet. I’ll call again when I get out of work to see if I can get this resolved.

It was not in deep sleep mode. I'll try again in the morning and see if it behaves the same.
I was having same problem as you were, but I can try to replicate tonight. Did you make sure your car was in a deep sleep first? It may work if it’s partially awake.

Ok reporting back. You are correct, the button on the charge plug will unlock if the car has recently been locked. I walked away, checked that it was locked, came back 30 mins later and the charge connector unlocked with button press.

Letting it sit overnight, however, is a different story. It will not release until the door handle is partially pushed in. Sounds like a bug to me.

Video after letting it sit overnight:

Ok reporting back. You are correct, the button on the charge plug will unlock if the car has recently been locked. I walked away, checked that it was locked, came back 30 mins later and the charge connector unlocked with button press.

Letting it sit overnight, however, is a different story. It will not release until the door handle is partially pushed in. Sounds like a bug to me.

Video after letting it sit overnight:

Yup can confirm. Tried again this morning. They should fix this!

So I called the Tesla service number last night and gave up after being on hold for 35 minutes. Tried again early this morning and someone answered immediately (mental note, call when the West coast is still sleeping). The guy I spoke with looked at the logs and says that the 10.5 update did not install successfully on my Model 3. However I got all of the associated updates with it as far as I can tell (updated backup camera, heated rear seats, etc). He said that my autopilot probably won’t work until the update install issue is resolved and that he would escalate it to whatever team handles this stuff. I had called before 8am Eastern time so no one was available to look at my specific issue when I called. Guy said someone from the other team would give me a call but I haven’t heard from anyone yet. I’ll call again when I get out of work to see if I can get this resolved.

Called Tesla service again after work. All service reps were busy so I used the option to have them save my place in line and call me back. Got a call back about 15 minutes later. They looked at my logs and everything and said they’d push the update to my car again and it may take 24-48 hours for it to show up. Maybe just 2 or 3 hours later my car notified me of a new software update. I just ran the install a short while ago and it appears to finally have fully installed successfully! Looks like I’ll finally be able to try out autopilot for the first time tomorrow!

Reactions: T-Will
One thing I'm experiencing with 2018.10.5 is that often the first upward volume adjust (one tick up on the left scroll wheel) goes immediately to full volume! I was using slacker streaming the 3 times it's happened so far. I think that it does it only on the first volume adjustment after the car is first started but I'm not sure. Full volume is definitely at hearing-damage sound level. Anybody else experience this?

• Helpful
Reactions: SlicedBr3ad
One thing I'm experiencing with 2018.10.5 is that often the first upward volume adjust (one tick up on the left scroll wheel) goes immediately to full volume! I was using slacker streaming the 3 times it's happened so far. I think that it does it only on the first volume adjustment after the car is first started but I'm not sure. Full volume is definitely at hearing-damage sound level. Anybody else experience this?
Did your report this to tesla?

Did your report this to tesla?
Not yet. Is there a good way to actually do that for software issues? My experience calling the service center is that nothing comes of it so I'm doubtful it's even passed on. Using the voice-recognition bug reports also seems to be fruitless. Using the "ask a question" on the M3 page of myTesla has gotten feedback, but left me feeling that the concerns weren't actually put into a bug-tracker anywhere, just platitudes for me. Still it's probably the best approach that I know of.

Something I noticed this morning. The temps dropped down again last night and the battery was cold this morning, but I didn't get the usual "Regenerative Braking Limited" message I usually get on a cold morning. I did notice there were dots on the power bar that I don't remember seeing before the update to indicate where the regen limit was. I can't be sure they weren't always there, I just never recall seeing them before.

2018-03-31_11-16-07.jpg

Something I noticed this morning. The temps dropped down again last night and the battery was cold this morning, but I didn't get the usual "Regenerative Braking Limited" message I usually get on a cold morning. I did notice there were dots on the power bar that I don't remember seeing before the update to indicate where the regen limit was. I can't be sure they weren't always there, I just never recall seeing them before.

View attachment 290698
New with 10.5. Was posted elsewhere a few days ago iirc

Anyone find the Easter egg yet for Sunday? /s

• Informative
Reactions: Zarwin

View attachment 290698
This came with the update to 10.5 (from what I noticed)

Not yet. Is there a good way to actually do that for software issues? My experience calling the service center is that nothing comes of it so I'm doubtful it's even passed on. Using the voice-recognition bug reports also seems to be fruitless. Using the "ask a question" on the M3 page of myTesla has gotten feedback, but left me feeling that the concerns weren't actually put into a bug-tracker anywhere, just platitudes for me. Still it's probably the best approach that I know of.

Use the "ask question". Not sure if the is the same or different from what used to be on mS/X bug report from console but better than nothing/verbal bs

Already did that and it doesn't help.

So it's either your car or your phone. You have power over your phone, if it's your car you need to take it to the SC. So try fixing it by backing up and erasing your phone. Then set it up as new and download the Tesla app. Now test how it behaves with your car. If you have fixed it you can either use your phone as is, your important data will have synced back when you signed into iCloud, or erase it again and restore from your backup to get back to where you were.

Sometimes when you restore from backup, you will bring the problem back.

The whole process is very automatic. While it will mean that the phone will be inoperable for a short time, the actual time you spend performing the operation is extremely short. If you fixed it by erasing your phone you no longer have an issue. If you cannot fix it this way then when the Tesla SC asks you if you have troubleshot the phone you can answer in the affirmative.

-Randy

Seems like it should be really easy to add the charging connector button push event to be equivalent to a door handle touch. The car knows you push the button when it's locked, they just need to add that to the car unlock event, same as door handles or trunk button, or at least add it to an event that checks the unlock condition(phone key near) and allows release.
On the S and X, it's the same, the car has to be unlocked to remove the wand. You don't want the ability for anyone to be able to remove it when it's locked. With the 3 it's a little more complex now since they've disabled walk-up unlock. On the S and X, we usually have the fob in our pocket. One more thing to remember. I still wish walk-up was an option on the 3 but the default was 'off'.

On the S and X, it's the same, the car has to be unlocked to remove the wand. You don't want the ability for anyone to be able to remove it when it's locked. With the 3 it's a little more complex now since they've disabled walk-up unlock. On the S and X, we usually have the fob in our pocket. One more thing to remember. I still wish walk-up was an option on the 3 but the default was 'off'.

I think I might not have been clear there, and we are talking somewhat about two different things. With the 3, the phone key is essentially the fob and the phone is in my pocket, phone key connected as I walk up. The car determines that I am close to it and unlocks in these observed conditions:

Locked but not in deep sleep:
  • Any door handle press
  • Trunk button press
  • Charge connector button press
Locked and in deep sleep
  • Any door handle press
  • Trunk button press
When it is locked and has gone into deep sleep mode, the charge connector button appears to no longer be able to unlock the car (with the phone key connected and in close enough proximity to the car). I recorded the deep sleep scenario in a previous post here: 2018.10.5 Arrived

Engineer's disclaimer... I can't say with 100% certainly that the above is the case, but with the observations and repeated attempts I've made, it is likely the case. There are always edge scenarios where the phone in my pocket was positioned in a way that the car didn't decide I was close enough until I leaned over to touch the door handle, but I took the same path to the car each time, including when it repeatedly would work when not in deep sleep so this is unlikely.

Reactions: ℬête Noire
I think I might not have been clear there, and we are talking somewhat about two different things. With the 3, the phone key is essentially the fob and the phone is in my pocket, phone key connected as I walk up. The car determines that I am close to it and unlocks in these observed conditions:

Locked but not in deep sleep:
  • Any door handle press
  • Trunk button press
  • Charge connector button press
Locked and in deep sleep
  • Any door handle press
  • Trunk button press
When it is locked and has gone into deep sleep mode, the charge connector button appears to no longer be able to unlock the car (with the phone key connected and in close enough proximity to the car). I recorded the deep sleep scenario in a previous post here: 2018.10.5 Arrived

Engineer's disclaimer... I can't say with 100% certainly that the above is the case, but with the observations and repeated attempts I've made, it is likely the case. There are always edge scenarios where the phone in my pocket was positioned in a way that the car didn't decide I was close enough until I leaned over to touch the door handle, but I took the same path to the car each time, including when it repeatedly would work when not in deep sleep so this is unlikely.
Right, if the new 'normal' is a door or charge connector press (with a key [phone] nearby) is the same thing (and wakes it up and unlocks/opens), then I agree!

I wonder if some at Tesla are thinking if the whole fob-less thing was a bad idea.... :D

So I am guessing you mean when I come back to the car and there is no light on the charge connector than the car is in deep sleep. I'll need to unlock the car to get the cable or adapter out. But if I come back and it's blue or still charging, I just press the button on the charge connector and pull it out.

-Randy

So I am guessing you mean when I come back to the car and there is no light on the charge connector than the car is in deep sleep. I'll need to unlock the car to get the cable or adapter out. But if I come back and it's blue or still charging, I just press the button on the charge connector and pull it out.

-Randy

There really isn't a way to tell visually that the car is in deep sleep. The charge connector light will be out and screen will be black in both cases if it is locked. Others may know if there is a way to tell for sure, other than opening the app and seeing "waking car" displayed in the app. But of course as soon as you see that, it's getting pulled out of deep sleep, so that's not a valid way to "pre-check" the car for deep sleep. Both times I observed the charge connector button unable to unlock the car was after it sat overnight and the assumption was that it would have gone into "deep sleep" over that time, but again, that's just an assumption.