Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2018.10.5 Charge Port Needs to Unlock When Phone Detected

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2018.10.5 rolled out and disabled the "Wake on Walk Up" feature where the vehicle would unlock when the phone was detected. It now unlocks only when the door handle is activated. This creates a strange requirement that when you walk into your garage in the morning you have to first open the door slightly to be able to unplug the charger.

Improvement Suggestion: unlock vehicle when button on charger is pressed as well please, or at least let us remove the charger if the phone is detected.

So, I had the same issue with this software update, had to open a door to unlock the charge port in order to remove the charger. I’m still on the same software version, but today when I walked up to the car which was plugged in and pressed the button on the charging handle, the car unlocked including the port (obviously).

I swear it wouldn’t do this as of 48 hours ago. Could Tesla make a change like that without a software update?

So, I had the same issue with this software update, had to open a door to unlock the charge port in order to remove the charger. I’m still on the same software version, but today when I walked up to the car which was plugged in and pressed the button on the charging handle, the car unlocked including the port (obviously).

I swear it wouldn’t do this as of 48 hours ago. Could Tesla make a change like that without a software update?
Did you recently open the app? It does work if before you go out to the car you open the app and see the "Waking Up" message. So if the car is in "sleep mode" it doesn't work, but if it's waked by the app or not yet in sleep mode then it does seem to work.

I've discoved that I can quickly press the truck release button and it will unlock the car and the charge port but it won't open the trunk. I've been using this trick since I installed 10.5. A double press or a long press *will* open the trunk.

I just want to be able to open the charge port when the phone is detected. My usual dance at work is to open the charge port, walk over to the charger, my car locks and closes the charge port, I tap the charge port and nothing happens, I open a door with the charger in hand, then tap on the charge port door and it opens.

I just want to be able to open the charge port when the phone is detected. My usual dance at work is to open the charge port, walk over to the charger, my car locks and closes the charge port, I tap the charge port and nothing happens, I open a door with the charger in hand, then tap on the charge port door and it opens.
Sounds like my recent dance, too, although now I leave the driver’s side door open a crack to prevent locking until I can plug in the car. Ridiculous.

For a company that prides itself on supposedly hiring extremely bright young engineers, I sometimes wonder if common sense is a factor in grading the applicants.