Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2018 100D For Sale at Non-Tesla Dealer. What options does it have?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been obsessing on getting a Model X lately after driving my Wife's Model 3 a bunch and getting bored of my underpowered XC90 T8 R-Design.

I've been looking and looking for the past couple of weeks and reading a ton at all the available information here. New vs. Used, Raven vs. Earlier.

I found a 2018 100D available on cargurus for what seems like an OK price to start negotiations on. What I am unsure about is which options this Model X has. They don't have a build sheet and it's had two owners but only 13k miles.

PRE-OWNED 2018 TESLA MODEL X 100D

Used Tesla Model X for Sale in San Jose, CA - CarGurus

Can you experts tell based on pictures or VIN what options it has?
Does it have the MCU1 or MCU2?
How can I tell if it has EAP?
Also, safe to assume I would not get any supercharging included, nor an offer for additional factory warranty when this one is up correct?

Any other concerns on the 2018 or anything more specific I should ask for? $81k is the price they are asking.. KBB is around $76,500 - $84k.

Thanks I have searched a bunch and teslatap has a vin decoder and it seems to be down.

Thanks.

• Love
Reactions: rush6410
Hi Hoss_vw,

You need the build date and/or month to determine if it has MCU1 or MCU2.
My X was built on March 6, 2018 and I believe was the first week of MCU2 installs.

The dealer can photograph the build sticker inside the driver door to show the build
month and year.

Shawn

Strong guess would be MCU2. My VIN, same year, is 90k for the last 5 digits. So only 2k more than yours and i have mcu2.

There is a website you can ask them to go to in the car’s browser that can determine mcu version, if they are willing to do that for you.
Teslatap.com/mcu
But right now the site is down.

Hi Hoss_vw,

I did not see the VIN the first time I looked.
My VIN for the first week of MCU2 is 089xxx.
Seeing that it is 088xxx I would say MCU1 is likely installed.
The cars were generally made to order - it appears to have the premium upgrades that were offered
at that time. They became standard later at a price change.
It does not mention any auto pilot equipment...
It mentions wifi hotspot which the cars do NOT have...

Hopefully you can get the VIN decoder to work soon...

Shawn

Almost certain that's mcu2. Price is decent and miles are low. However, if you don't care about the wheels and the cosmetic mods on that used one a new car maybe a better deal. Especially if you are financing as new cars get better rates then used ones at nearly all credit unions. A new Raven may be a better choice as it will be new, updated, more range and have better warranty. You may score a better deal too if you wait till end of quarter and contact your local Tesla showroom and get a OA.

Here's a quick discounted new one I just found (not my referral but if you want it please PM me and use my code!). Performance with FSD. Design Your Model X | Tesla

Last edited:
The dealership replied and they are pretty clueless. They told me it has AP2 because of the cameras but have not provided the screenshot of the autopilot screen nor have taken a photo of the date of manufacture. I'll have to call tomorrow and see if I can talk to the manager. Maybe since it's a Sunday I'm getting the B Team?

I've been pondering new also but was hoping to stay around the $80k mark. But yeah.. for $10k more I can get brand new. Might make more sense.

I
I've been obsessing on getting a Model X lately after driving my Wife's Model 3 a bunch and getting bored of my underpowered XC90 T8 R-Design.

I've been looking and looking for the past couple of weeks and reading a ton at all the available information here. New vs. Used, Raven vs. Earlier.

I found a 2018 100D available on cargurus for what seems like an OK price to start negotiations on. What I am unsure about is which options this Model X has. They don't have a build sheet and it's had two owners but only 13k miles.

PRE-OWNED 2018 TESLA MODEL X 100D

Used Tesla Model X for Sale in San Jose, CA - CarGurus

Can you experts tell based on pictures or VIN what options it has?
Does it have the MCU1 or MCU2?
How can I tell if it has EAP?
Also, safe to assume I would not get any supercharging included, nor an offer for additional factory warranty when this one is up correct?

Any other concerns on the 2018 or anything more specific I should ask for? $81k is the price they are asking.. KBB is around $76,500 - $84k.

Thanks I have searched a bunch and teslatap has a vin decoder and it seems to be down.

Thanks.

I’m in a similar boat except thinking of trading in my M3 LR. My credit union offers a decent interest rate incentive for purchasing from a specific network of dealerships around the country, many of which have used MX’s that they appear to be clueless about and therefore have competitive prices. My concern with buying outside of the Tesla CPO program has to do with warranty work. While my 14 month old M3 has literally never been in to a service center, it sounds like it is more common for MX’s and I will save money in the long run by going that route.

Is it assumed you can just pick up where the previous owner left off On the original manufacture warranty? I read somewhere on this forum that if the dealership ever shows up as the owner in the title history you loose warranty support, can anyone corroborate that?

Can't help you, but my wife was in your position. After months of stealing my Model 3, last week my wife traded in her 2018 XC90 T8 Inscription for a 2020 Model X. While I still highly prefer the build quality and interior material quality of the Volvo, the X has been a big step up in driving fun (and I'm sooooo glad to get rid of that droning 4-cylinder engine noise!!). BUT, I still prefer driving my 3!

Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
WHY would you pay 81k for a used Model X with 13000 miles? Maybe a stupid question but you can get a brand new Raven for a few thousand more. ....Many threads here about dealers trying to offload used inventory on the public after Tesla dropped the prices last year. Nada and Bluebook have not adjusted yet. Buy a new Raven and you will be happy! They are offering free supercharging for life on new Raven purchases. It is a no brainer!

If this were 65k I might take a look at it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vitaman
I

I’m in a similar boat except thinking of trading in my M3 LR. My credit union offers a decent interest rate incentive for purchasing from a specific network of dealerships around the country, many of which have used MX’s that they appear to be clueless about and therefore have competitive prices. My concern with buying outside of the Tesla CPO program has to do with warranty work. While my 14 month old M3 has literally never been in to a service center, it sounds like it is more common for MX’s and I will save money in the long run by going that route.

Is it assumed you can just pick up where the previous owner left off On the original manufacture warranty? I read somewhere on this forum that if the dealership ever shows up as the owner in the title history you loose warranty support, can anyone corroborate that?

If you don't need the space, I would highly recommend sticking with the 3 LR over a used X. Esp if it's pre 2017 I would never do it. I own a 2018 P100D X which was picked up this year as a new showroom demo car and have a 2018 Model 3 LR RWD purchased March 2018. The X is a better family hauler and comfy in the 6 seat config while the 3 handles amazingly and is easier to use for ever. Having both X and 3 is a great combo for a family.

- I would be weary of buying a used X that's not from Tesla. Shorter warranty and the X repairs can get pricey. The FWD are incredible if your trying to load a kid in a car seat. Self presenting doors are a nice touch.
- Pre March 2018 cars will have MCU1 which is leagues slower than what your used to on the 3. Route planning and scrolling for music is slower compared to the 3. Also fewer entertainment features and updates. Could be a paid upgrade path.
- The 3 LR is more efficient, has longer range and charges faster. I made if from socal to Vegas without needing a stop in the 3 but needed a 30 min charge in the X. Socal to Bay needed a 15 min charge in the 3 but 1 hour and 10 min between 2 stops in the P100D X.
- 2nd Binnacle display is nice to have for Navi in the X but I was used to the 3 before. At night the backlight on the display is slightly distracting. The X is begging for a higher quality OLED display on the Binnacle to provide true absolute blacks making it less fatiguing on the eyes.
- Pre Raven X won't be able to have STOP mode for true single pedal driving like the 3
- FSD updates are happening more quickly for the 3 and Ravens that have HW3. Old Tesla's don't have upgrades just yet. AP2.0 cars have no sentry dashcam like the 3 and aren't getting the new FSD love.

Just some of my thoughts. But we have a baby and the X has been great for it's space. For all other uses we hop in the 3. P100D acceleration never gets old and makes me tolerate any of the shortcomings of the X compared to the 2020 models.

• Informative
Reactions: Itsuo-DC
Looks like a March 2018 Build. So on the cusp of MCU1 vs MCU2?

Also, looks like it does NOT have FSD.. so does that mean it does not have Enhanced Auto Pilot or are they separate? How much is the upgrade?

There are lots of totally valid questions on New vs. Used which is what I am struggling with.

Brand new Raven I can configure for $89,990 for Grey, 7-Seater Long Range and the silver 20" Rims. Which I am tempted to do. Or like a couple people mentioned if I am patient and wait a couple months toward the end of Q1 I may be able to swing a demo car or return car for a discount.

For this used one to get me excited I'd like to see it come down to $75K or so. At this point It's just figuring out what I can or cannot afford and lease vs. buy.

Attachments

• 0106200949_HDR.jpg
    0106200949_HDR.jpg
    512.7 KB · Views: 59
  • 0106200951.jpg
    0106200951.jpg
    502.3 KB · Views: 46
  • 0106200953.jpg
    0106200953.jpg
    445.3 KB · Views: 43
Reactions: Itsuo-DC
WHY would you pay 81k for a used Model X with 13000 miles? Maybe a stupid question but you can get a brand new Raven for a few thousand more. ....Many threads here about dealers trying to offload used inventory on the public after Tesla dropped the prices last year. Nada and Bluebook have not adjusted yet. Buy a new Raven and you will be happy! They are offering free supercharging for life on new Raven purchases. It is a no brainer!

If this were 65k I might take a look at it.

Agreed, you can get a "new" existing inventory 2019/2020 with under 1,000 miles for a few K more direct from Tesla...and it'll have full 4yr warranty and can buy more...vs some unknown with two previous owners...smells of lemon if you ask me.

Here ya Go - 2020 long range at $88k with only 13 miles.
2020 Model X | Tesla
Use Ev-CPO to search broader area/whole inventory.
DZM

• Love
Reactions: Itsuo-DC and EV-CPO
If you don't need the space, I would highly recommend sticking with the 3 LR over a used X. Esp if it's pre 2017 I would never do it. I own a 2018 P100D X which was picked up this year as a new showroom demo car and have a 2018 Model 3 LR RWD purchased March 2018. The X is a better family hauler and comfy in the 6 seat config while the 3 handles amazingly and is easier to use for ever. Having both X and 3 is a great combo for a family.

- I would be weary of buying a used X that's not from Tesla. Shorter warranty and the X repairs can get pricey. The FWD are incredible if your trying to load a kid in a car seat. Self presenting doors are a nice touch.
- Pre March 2018 cars will have MCU1 which is leagues slower than what your used to on the 3. Route planning and scrolling for music is slower compared to the 3. Also fewer entertainment features and updates. Could be a paid upgrade path.
- The 3 LR is more efficient, has longer range and charges faster. I made if from socal to Vegas without needing a stop in the 3 but needed a 30 min charge in the X. Socal to Bay needed a 15 min charge in the 3 but 1 hour and 10 min between 2 stops in the P100D X.
- 2nd Binnacle display is nice to have for Navi in the X but I was used to the 3 before. At night the backlight on the display is slightly distracting. The X is begging for a higher quality OLED display on the Binnacle to provide true absolute blacks making it less fatiguing on the eyes.
- Pre Raven X won't be able to have STOP mode for true single pedal driving like the 3
- FSD updates are happening more quickly for the 3 and Ravens that have HW3. Old Tesla's don't have upgrades just yet. AP2.0 cars have no sentry dashcam like the 3 and aren't getting the new FSD love.

Just some of my thoughts. But we have a baby and the X has been great for it's space. For all other uses we hop in the 3. P100D acceleration never gets old and makes me tolerate any of the shortcomings of the X compared to the 2020 models.

I really appreciate your comments. I do appreciate the 3 and will now wait until I can swing at least a LR Raven before I think about trading the M3 in. Thanks!