Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2018 100d Rebuilt-Salvage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Brent16

Jan 29, 2020
Texas
Just like the title says, I rebuilt a salvage 2018 100d. Car is now branded rebuilt-salvage in Texas, so it is road worthy and registered just as any other vehicle would be. Anyways, the car did go to Tesla service in Dallas for HV safety inspection, was told at the time that if the car passed it would receive software updates, be able to supercharge, etc... The car did pass and I have paper work from Tesla stating everything they inspected, even states car was “supercharging with no issues.” Get the car home, update software, everything is great. Go to supercharge a few days later and no go....email Tesla and now I’m told since it’s been salvage it’s permanently locked from supercharging at a stand-alone station, but it can supercharge at a Tesla service center.

I know it states on their website salvage are permanently banned from supercharging etc...but it’s frustrating when the service advisor told me to my face when talking about the HV inspection that car would be able to supercharge if it passed.

My question is...what are my options now?

Your adviser wasnt incorrect. The car can still supercharge, but only at SC's.
Options appear to be to plan long road trips around SC locations and to leverage destination chargers when appropriate.

Just like the title says, I rebuilt a salvage 2018 100d. Car is now branded rebuilt-salvage in Texas, so it is road worthy and registered just as any other vehicle would be. Anyways, the car did go to Tesla service in Dallas for HV safety inspection, was told at the time that if the car passed it would receive software updates, be able to supercharge, etc... The car did pass and I have paper work from Tesla stating everything they inspected, even states car was “supercharging with no issues.” Get the car home, update software, everything is great. Go to supercharge a few days later and no go....email Tesla and now I’m told since it’s been salvage it’s permanently locked from supercharging at a stand-alone station, but it can supercharge at a Tesla service center.

I know it states on their website salvage are permanently banned from supercharging etc...but it’s frustrating when the service advisor told me to my face when talking about the HV inspection that car would be able to supercharge if it passed.

My question is...what are my options now?

How much does supercharging mean to you? if it means alot, then your only option is to sell your car and get a non-salvaged car.

unfortunately you can't really trust anything anyone at tesla tells you. they are generally misinformed and sometimes will just tell bold faced lies.

if you got something in writing signed by elon musk, then i'd say you have a 50/50 chance of tesla going through with it. some rando service advisor? no chance.

• Informative
Reactions: Chaserr
Contact one of the root folks here. They can turn supercharging back on for you. You should still need to pay for the charge sessions you use, but Tesla certifying the car safe and repaired means they were mistaken when they completely removed the ability to charge.

Tesla made a similar mistake with older 2012-2013 cars that didn't pay to buy the $2000/$2500 unlimited supercharging forever option. They disabled all DC charging, including non-Tesla Chademo charging and that is probably a similar mistake to what happened to you where instead of disabling the original buyer's free supercharging they have completely removed all charging without seeing the approved repair status. Tesla is bad at communication - internal or external, they can't share information effectively - so it's normal for them to make mistakes like this. On top of their poor communication, too many people at Tesla are ill informed and can't be believed - the end result meaning your best option is probably going to cost you more money paying someone to root enable what Tesla should have already done, but will probably fight you to avoid doing anyway.

Your car is already OK'd as safe by Tesla, so if they can't figure out how to fix your car find a third party that can do it easily. There are plenty of them on this site.

Contact one of the root folks here. They can turn supercharging back on for you. You should still need to pay for the charge sessions you use, but Tesla certifying the car safe and repaired means they were mistaken when they completely removed the ability to charge.

Tesla made a similar mistake with older 2012-2013 cars that didn't pay to buy the $2000/$2500 unlimited supercharging forever option. They disabled all DC charging, including non-Tesla Chademo charging and that is probably a similar mistake to what happened to you where instead of disabling the original buyer's free supercharging they have completely removed all charging without seeing the approved repair status. Tesla is bad at communication - internal or external, they can't share information effectively - so it's normal for them to make mistakes like this. On top of their poor communication, too many people at Tesla are ill informed and can't be believed - the end result meaning your best option is probably going to cost you more money paying someone to root enable what Tesla should have already done, but will probably fight you to avoid doing anyway.

Your car is already OK'd as safe by Tesla, so if they can't figure out how to fix your car find a third party that can do it easily. There are plenty of them on this site.

Thanks for the info. I’m fairly new to the forum, I’ve seen some folks talk about root access but don’t know much about it. Anyone specifically you could recommend contacting on here?

I, too, have a salvage-titled Model S in Dallas. #00007 - 2012 - Signature Red. it has also passed the High Voltage test. Meaning that the SC can do maintenance work now (before the test was available, they told me they could not touch it). But no Supercharging. Dallas SC loaned me a ChaDeMo adapter to see if that would work on a third party charging station - it did not. When I expressed my frustration at not being able to take 007 on long trips, and who could I call, they said "tweet Elon." I don't tweet.

I asked the SC guy that was sympathetic to my situation about going the "root" route, and he said their computer would show the tampering and that would cut off all support from them. Sounds like if you go the "root" route, you need to be prepared to do all your own upkeep/maintenance/repairs.

So, I have a terrific car that I love - for driving around the DFW metroplex. Irony is that the Tesla.com account site for the car still shows that it has unlimited supercharging forever.

If/when it comes time to sell 007, what is the best route?

• Funny
Reactions: Cheburashka
unfortunately you can't really trust anything anyone at tesla tells you. they are generally misinformed and sometimes will just tell bold faced lies.

if you got something in writing signed by elon musk, then i'd say you have a 50/50 chance of tesla going through with it. some rando service advisor? no chance.
Sad but true, except the part about Elon Musk, less than a 50/50 chance is more like it.