Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2018 100d trips breaker - no problem for last three years with 2015 85d

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My setup is a 50 amp breaker with exterior outlet installed by a qualified electrician. Problem started intermittently upon swapping the cars (and moving from gen 1 to gen2 cable). Neither tesla mobile nor service can figure it out. I've had an electrician back who says the circuit is fine.

Anyone with similar experience or ideas?

I think the 100D has a 72 amp charger, while your 85D likely had a 40 amp charger. Double check this. If it has an 80 amp charger, could the car be trying to pull 80 amps from the 50 amp line, thus tripping the breaker?

If that’s not the case, I would double check the wire used by the electrican to verify it is the correct size for the load, and that the screws are torqued properly at both the outlet side and the breaker side. Also check that the screws are engaged with the wire and not the insulation on the wire.

Well... an exterior outlet would imply a ground fault breaker. On some breakers you can differentiate a ground fault trip vs an over current trip.

if you are tripping because of a ground fault then you should replace your GFCI with a regular 2 pole breaker and see how that works. If it does, then you can decide if having GF protection is what you want. Electrical code for an outside receptacle says it should be ground fault protected.

Just to be clear, you are using a UMC, right? You mentioned HPWC somewhere in the thread.

GFCI work by allowing only a very small current differential between the two lines. You get 5mA typical. All EVSE equipment is supposed to run a ground test on power up and this could cause your breaker to trip.

You are connecting the UMC to the outlet first, right?

Thank you - this is helpful - yes, umc, not an hpwc, and a gfci breaker.

And yes outlet first then to the vehicle.
I had a similar issue a while back when we got the MX100d, the GFCI circuit breaker trip Everytime I switched from charging my MS 75D.
Problem was 2 GFCI breakers in series, the UMC which has its own GFCI and the main box breaker.
Electrician replaced the breaker with non GFCI.

Also the 14-50 outlet was the cheap kind and the socket became loose due to frequent unplugging, creating arching.

No more issues after that.

Attachments

• 19B58F31-B40C-4EA8-952E-3E48FE7C04FD.jpeg
    19B58F31-B40C-4EA8-952E-3E48FE7C04FD.jpeg
    314.2 KB · Views: 58
  • 95AB9D84-F34E-4DF2-96A1-E0B8707CB104.jpeg
    95AB9D84-F34E-4DF2-96A1-E0B8707CB104.jpeg
    330.1 KB · Views: 46
Closing the loop on this one - electrician moved the breaker from the panel to adjacent to the outlet. Still gfi but the reduced run seems to have fixed the problem (fingers crossed). He also said the panel maker (cutler hammer) was prone to nuisance tripping.