Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2018.12 for Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The car does pull it. But the car can only pull what has been assigned to it. Tesla doesn't release the software to the entire fleet at the same time. (Not to mention that not every configuration gets every update.)
Ahh..so the car has to be "invited" to pull the update...thought one would be past the invites after configuration/delivery...but it continues. Man...what a SW configuration nightmare it must be for Tesla...not just Mod 3..but their entire product line.

Because everyone would pull at once and the network would be crippled. They push them out little by little to make sure the network can handle the traffic.
Nah..seems to work fine for the cellphone companies...bet there are lots more cellphones that update at the same time than Tesla cars.

Is that true? Elon has been hinting about the awesome upcoming nav overhaul and your saying we've had it all along just look at the 3? That seems like it would be a bit anticlimactic ...
The maps/nav update for the S is mostly about the instrument cluster display, not much changed with the map display.

Its very nice however, with displays that nicely match the freeway overhead signage and much clearer directions about what lane(s) to be in and when to turn. Its a significant improvement IMO.

Basically, your vin come up in the Queue, and now your car is allowed to download it. When your car has internet access it will download the update and keep it on your car. You get a notification and you can choose to install the update when you want. No one is sitting there queuing these, it's done by an automated system.

The service center can put in a ticket to manually queue up your car.

Ahh..so the car has to be "invited" to pull the update...thought one would be past the invites after configuration/delivery...but it continues. Man...what a SW configuration nightmare it must be for Tesla...not just Mod 3..but their entire product line.

Nah..seems to work fine for the cellphone companies...bet there are lots more cellphones that update at the same time than Tesla cars.
I agree, it's probably not a congestion thing. It's more likely either a staged rollout so they can catch major bugs before everyone gets it or to conform to cost constraints or contractual obligations with AT&T regarding how much data is carried on the network over a given period of time.

Reactions: savi
The car does pull it. But the car can only pull what has been assigned to it. Tesla doesn't release the software to the entire fleet at the same time. (Not to mention that not every configuration gets every update.)

I went into the service center and they "staged" the update and a couple of hours later the update available icon appeared.

I've always found Dallas SC techs really helpful.

... seems to work fine for the cellphone companies...bet there are lots more cellphones that update at the same time than Tesla cars.

The cell companies probably have a lot more bandwidth than Tesla has. (Though a gradual release in case of bugs makes sense also.

I downloaded 2018. 10. 5 a few days ago

Me, too. Very happy with the improvements in AP, as I posted in the Model 3 software thread.

Not necessarily Randy, it could be that they are simply sending that version out to S/X first, since it does provide them with a more significant maps upgrade and they are driving the flagship vehicles. You could certainly be right too, though the TM3 release notes that someone put out where for the same firmware.

Oh I’m aware, some were speculating that they MIGHT start unifying the FW, so that the same version is sent to all cars, but your car only installed the relevant bits. Now I think that sending more data than necessary, so I can see a case for not doing that for sure. I’m just saying we don’t know anything either way till we see confirmation.