Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2018.12 for Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I picked up my car I remember the WiFi logo and assumed it was just that, hard-coded for the SC. The idea of making a wifi connection at home that it connects to is good, I know they have a BIG sign when you walk into the store that says what their SSID and password is. I remember the password ends in 123456, and the SSID probably has the word Tesla in it. Anyone have the details written down?

-Randy

When I picked up my car I remember the WiFi logo and assumed it was just that, hard-coded for the SC. The idea of making a wifi connection at home that it connects to is good, I know they have a BIG sign when you walk into the store that says what their SSID and password is. I remember the password ends in 123456, and the SSID probably has the word Tesla in it. Anyone have the details written down?

-Randy

That's not the droid you're looking for, so to speak. Diff SSID.

My guess is the signal was weak (maybe only temporarily) and it fell back to LTE. Mine has connected every time I've been to the SC, which, unfortunately, has been 5 or 6 times in the first 5 weeks of ownership.
Oh dang! How come so many times? I'm about to schedule my second visit in the first week because it was scratched upon delivery and there's now a new scratch that was added when it was in (didn't see it until I got home).

I updated last night. Only differences noticed are the AP controls.

Scrolling the wheel up and down makes the + and - flash on the screen, increasing and decreasing max speed.

Here's a picture of the follow distance UX:
N4xFTgh.jpg

I used the scroll-wheel extensively in over 100 miles of freeway driving yesterday using Autopilot in 2018.12. I found it intuitive and a welcome improvement. The only odd thing I encountered was that, on multiple occasions, I got the "put your hands on the steering wheel" warning when they were already there. I had to move the wheel slightly to get the system to register that my hands were on the wheel.

The problem is the logic that downloads the firmware is very poorly written and if the download fails it does not seem to be downloaded again. The problem is compounded by the fact that WiFi is still unsupported.

What you need to do is:
1/ call tesla support. Tell them you have not been getting updates. They won’t push the update to your car but they will tell you if you have the problem that I described above

2/ go to your nearest service center (no need for an appointment). Tell them you have not been getting your update. Make sure that they scan your VIN and push the update to your car. They do have the ability to do that (or request that someone from the engineering team does it). If they try to BS you that there is no update, you can reuse the confirmation that your car has a problem from 1/ above

Make sure your car is parked in an area with good LTE coverage (4 or 5 bars)

This is exactly what I did last Saturday and everyone was extremely helpful. In about two hours I was updated to the latest firmware. And yes Autopilot feels a lot safer.

• Informative
Reactions: RBowen
Got my car on Tuesday and it came with 2018.12 which is sweet! The autopilot on the scroll wheel is super easy. I will say that I noticed the same autopilot behavior in that I had to actually grip the wheel and move it slightly to get my hands to register.

I thought it was pressure sensitive too but it's only a torque sensor on the wheel.

Just give a little input in either direction and it goes away. You can rest you hand in the side and that's enough weight to satisfy the sensor.

If you're just holding the wheel without any downward or upward pressure it'll complain.