Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2018.12 has ruined the audio system

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
is there a link to where this was stated or info on the sound system in general?

the only link i found was one comparing the two and they have the same number of speakers and are placed the same

I haven’t checked in a while but look at the images in the configurator for the premium sound. There should be more speakers in the X

I'm on 2018.14.2, and really haven't noticed any obvious difference in sound quality from prior 2018 releases. Thanks to this thread, I went and checked my EQ settings again, and sure enough, the scale is now -8..8 instead of -12..12. However, the settings (relative to each other) seem to have been retained across updates. I had reduced all the EQ levels a few months ago so the highest adjustment was +3 above baseline, which meant that I needed to have the overall volume a bit higher. Wonder whether the effect is noticeably changed if folks had set their levels greater than +8.

OK, I just had a very strange moment with the audio system. Opened it up to take a picture of my settings, and noticed it had a new set of "Immersive Sound" options:

mwoMdT0.jpg

But when I closed and reopened the equalizer settings, those options had been replaced by the normal Dolby Surround checkbox:

tgx5jry.jpg

Did it just not recognize my UHFS audio for a moment, or is this some new option I wasn't supposed to see?
Actual evidence to support the theory they sent out an update of sound processing to MCU1's that was meant for MCU2's.

Can you provide a link to the post.

Id still like everyone who can hear the diffrence to submit an executive escalation on this via the Tesla website!

I have not been told they are fixing it, but rather that they want me to bring my car in to the service center so they can hear it. Ive got 26000 miles of listening to how music sounded in my car before this update how much experience does the service tech have?

They also want me to "...provide an audio sample of what the intended should sound like versus what you are currently hearing." which I also find quite laughable. Do they expect me to have high end audio recording equipment just laying around? Never mind the fact that once I have this recording and send it to them I have no control over the equipment or environment they would use to listen to the recording.

What Tesla should be doing is talking to the software engineers to find out why WE are hearing a difference in sound!

What WE should be doing is submitting more Executive Escalation complaints about the audio so that they know theres a big issue here!
Yep, I sent my nasty gram this AM.

I'm still on 2018.14.2, but my sound system seems normal again. In an earlier post, I mentioned that I had opened the EQ settings and observed they had retained the same values, but the scale was now -8dB..+8dB instead of -12dB..12dB. Not sure if it was having my settings suddenly realize I didn't have a MCU2, or what, but after that post, I started noticing that overall volume levels were lower than before. I would have to crank the volume level up to 7 instead of 4 or 5 where it was set previously.

Then I read this thread, where an observation was made that just modifying the EQ settings will reset the baseline and restore bass response. Tried it, and I do hear a fuller sound with more bass and high-end response, going back to the previous volume levels (i.e. 5 instead of 7). I moved every one of the sliders, then reset them back to the positions they previously had. Then I tried listening to USB (FLAC files), Slacker, and TuneIn sources. All of them seemed back to "normal" for me.

So, I am wondering if the loss of 8dB in the EQ range actually caused previously-saved levels to drop relative to the baseline. For example, if you had 0dB set across the board, it would now sound like you had reduced by -4dB across the board.

I have the standard speakers but thought something happened with the sound on 2018.10.4 or 2018.6. I adjusted the equalizer, but still not as clear and powerful as before.
Tonight I tried the fader, and the rear speakers basically have just a poor treble without bass. It was not like that before?

I have the standard speakers but thought something happened with the sound on 2018.10.4 or 2018.6. I adjusted the equalizer, but still not as clear and powerful as before.
Tonight I tried the fader, and the rear speakers basically have just a poor treble without bass. It was not like that before?

Hey, congrats! Your standard rear speakers are now operating at the same level as my expensive upgraded audio's rear speakers! The authentic sounds of sitting in an upstairs reading room while listening to a 70's-era transister AM radio being played in a closet in the basement. Such realism!

...Patiently waiting for the quality sound from before the recent software 'upgrades'...

• Funny
Reactions: neroden and daktari
Still continuing with lower quality sound out of .16.
All rear ranges are horrible and the kids definitely notice the lack of proper sound. The only speakers which seem to emit any reasonable low , mid and high are the front.

I’ve has 3 emails now from escalation...all 3 saying they are ‘on it’ and investigating the matter.

Still continuing with lower quality sound out of .16.
All rear ranges are horrible and the kids definitely notice the lack of proper sound. The only speakers which seem to emit any reasonable low , mid and high are the front.

I’ve has 3 emails now from escalation...all 3 saying they are ‘on it’ and investigating the matter.

The REAR never had any bass. They set digitally a cutfilter eliminating anything below ~200Hz.
Why? In order to avoid overlapping bass sinus leading to an eradication. Bass is only in the front and in a potential subwoofer.

The REAR never had any bass. They set digitally a cutfilter eliminating anything below ~200Hz.
Why? In order to avoid overlapping bass sinus leading to an eradication. Bass is only in the front and in a potential subwoofer.

Correct. And that subwoofer which we paid good money for and used to provide a decent level of kick for the rear is now a waste of cabin space.

Bottom line, they messed up something with the sound and power output. New owners would never know the difference sadly but having owned for abt 3yrs now, one knows what’s they’ve done to the sound over the years.

Reactions: cruiserlarry
saw the thread and didn't think much of it till i noticed I've been turning my volume up to 7 or 8 when I was usual at 4 or 5. Then I checked the EQ an noticed the max adjustment had dropped as well.

Hoping that they push a patch to fix the audio.

They won't. They broke USB music playback in September of 2016 and have been refusing to fix it for over a year. And the fixes there are *trivial* -- it's stuff like playing the files in a folder in the correct order.

I am debating at this point whether to go to the press or to a lawyer, because it seems to me that Tesla is breaking cars with software updates and refusing to fix them under warranty.

They won't. They broke USB music playback in September of 2016 and have been refusing to fix it for over a year. And the fixes there are *trivial* -- it's stuff like playing the files in a folder in the correct order.

I am debating at this point whether to go to the press or to a lawyer, because it seems to me that Tesla is breaking cars with software updates and refusing to fix them under warranty.

I completely agree here. I’d bet the press would be all over issues with Tesla’s. I’ll check with my lawyer first.

• Funny
Reactions: ABC2D and neroden
I completely agree here. I’d bet the press would be all over issues with Tesla’s. I’ll check with my lawyer first.
I'd be happy to cooperate in a concerted delegation to the press. Or possibly a class action lawsuit, if it comes to that. I simply don't know how else to get Tesla's programmers' attention on these simple, easy-to-fix, but *critically important* regression bugs.

• Funny
Reactions: ABC2D