Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2018.14 update MCU, good news/bad news

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got the new update. The good news is as Elon said, the old MCU/browser/nav is noticeably faster.
The bad news is:
1)Still doesn't respond to button presses/switches/keys on the touchscreen without lag or first try
2)A lot of websites don't work/render. My main one and complaint is live Waze through azure or whatever doesn't even show anything now. Any help or advice would be appreciated to get Waze working on the touchscreen again (very handy for seeing police)
3)Has randomly black screened or rebooted 3 times in 3 hours. Once needed scroll wheel reboot to get it back.

2)A lot of websites don't work/render. My main one and complaint is live Waze through azure or whatever doesn't even show anything now. Any help or advice would be appreciated to get Waze working on the touchscreen again (very handy for seeing police)

It looks like the browser was updated to the same version as in MCU2 cars. That should mean that more sites work properly. Though I thought I read that the Tesla Waze site on Azure was coded to only work for Tesla cars to keep hosting costs down, and it may be that they haven't updated the site to properly detect the new version of the browser as a Tesla.

The other thing you could try is going directly to the main URL again to see if it is just your saved favorite that isn't working: Tesla Traffic Incidents and Information

It looks like the browser was updated to the same version as in MCU2 cars. That should mean that more sites work properly. Though I thought I read that the Tesla Waze site on Azure was coded to only work for Tesla cars to keep hosting costs down, and it may be that they haven't updated the site to properly detect the new version of the browser as a Tesla.

I wouldn’t sweat it yet. Websites like this probably use extensively special cased JavaScript to work well with the car browser. The author probably has to do a little more work to adapt it to the new browser.

Yeah, I can get some sites to work by deleting favorite and going back to google and loading it, other sites just don't work at all or are missing pictures, and saved passwords for favorite sites are also gone. I agree the specialized Tesla websites will have to adjust for the new browser, I would just think you should see more stuff (pictures/video) with the new browser instead of less stuff and blank picture boxes

So where are all those people saying the browser sucking was all software. MCU2 browser is a beast. MCU1 browser always gonna suck

I still have no clue - zero - why anyone would care about the browser. Who browses the internet in their car at all, never mind with an inferior input device (try tapping for a while at the angle of the MCU)? Why the heck wouldn't you just use your phone? What meaningful use case does the Tesla browser solve for???

I still have no clue - zero - why anyone would care about the browser. Who browses the internet in their car at all, never mind with an inferior input device (try tapping for a while at the angle of the MCU)? Why the heck wouldn't you just use your phone? What meaningful use case does the Tesla browser solve for???

I would use the browser when suoercharging. Or when I dont want to have my phone out

Reactions: MarkS22
There are actually lots of reasons to use the in app browser. The most important one is that it is the only interface that allows you to extent the function of that massive touch screen without actual apps by loading websites made specifically for it. I use it to display a map with weather radar to check and time for rain/snow, wind speeds for energy efficiency, waze etc...

Until Tesla release a proper App Store and sdk, the browser is the next best thing.

Reactions: JohnnyG and MarkS22
Interesting and I hope related question ...P85D old MCU old software LTE chip ... the other night, as I was walking thru the kitchen I lost connection to my wifi, and my iPad notified me there were other wifi's available and I should choose. One of the wifi's available was "Tesla P85D." I have previously renamed the MAC for my tesla on my router from parrot something to tesla P85D, but why does my iPad suddenly see it as a WAP rather than a client? Could it be something to do with downloading the new MCU software and maps?