TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

2018.16 update missing Energy Saving Mode

Discussion in 'Model X: User Interface' started by jjriley1, Apr 29, 2018.

1. jjriley1

jjriley1 New Member

Went to turn on Energy Saving mode this evening, and it's nowhere to be found! Not under Controls or Settings. Just me?

IMG_0585.jpg

2. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

You tried rebooting? That is really weird and there are other issues (like heated steering wheel not working correctly). Wonder if this is a glitch or a real bug (permanent part of the release).

3. SeBsZ

SeBsZ Vendor

I thought this bug was MCU2 only, @jjriley1 can you confirm if you have a new MCU?

4. boaterva

Other people in the 2018.16 thread (in the S forum, which has turned into the 'general' forum, like it or not :D ) report it missing in MCU1 cars... but it doesn't seem to be consistent. Brother....

5. TechVP

TechVP Active Poster

Installed 2018.16 last night. Add my Power Management, Energy Savings is there.
    2017 March AP2. MCU 1 model X

-TechVP

6. jjriley1

jjriley1 New Member

Yes, new MCU. March 18 build MX.

7. Kano

Kano Member

The manual states that energy saving mode is not available for newer models since they do energy saving automatically (or something like that). I was looking for it the other day for Teslafi and was ripping my hair out. Check the manual under energy saving.

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 1
  8. boaterva

Great. One more option gone, if that’s the case. Then why was it there ever for MCU2?

9. arubinst

arubinst Member

It would be really interesting if anyone could test if this is really the case by just looking at the vampire drain, for example, for a long day (longer if possible). If what the manual sais is true, vampire drain should be drastically reduced compared to the old models.

I would do it myself but I will not have my MX before the end of June (possible July).

What worries me about this is that I will probably need to leave the car at the airport for 4 weeks in August and there's no charger there.

Bjørn Nyland showed how dramatic differences can be when using and not using Energy Saving mode.

Without Energy Saving:

With Energy Saving:

10. ryanrf

ryanrf New Member

Having this same issue with my new Model 3.

I've been having trouble getting my phone to connect to the car when I'm outside of short range. Talked with Tesla support today.
    They say it's likely because of energy savings mode. So they then tried to show me how to turn off energy savings mode.... and discovered that the option is missing.

Yep, to the surprise of the tech on the phone, for some reason energy saving mode has been removed from the available settings.

Not sure what to do now....

11. Kano

Kano Member

There's an option to opt out of data sharing (something about uploading data and short video clips to the mothership periodically). I wonder if disabling this would cut down on the vampire drain.

12. outie

outie Active Member

I’ve never had it since taking delivery.

13. boaterva

So, it’s another MCU2 ‘feature’ as stated....

14. jflaplante

jflaplante Member

I can confirm that I still have the energy saving features after getting 2018.16 yesterday evening.

15. BigMskiman

BigMskiman Member

I'm MCU1, updated today, and have not lost it.

old |v2018.12| AP2 |
    new |v2018.16| AP2 |

16. Yinn

Yinn Active Member

Turning off energy savings mode was also the "solution" to a number of MCU rebooting issues, screen freezes, etc. with MCU1.

It might be a bug but I wouldn't be suprised if it was made to be permanent. If it was truly causing issues where the solution was to turn off energy savings mode; imagine the number of customer complaints, service visits - and resulting operational expenses - that would be reduced by making this one small change. If it was never there to begin with; none of us would have been the wiser.

17. Aljohn

Aljohn Member

@jjriley1

Your screen shot shows "CONTROLS". The power saving mode is in "Settings" under Screen and Power Management. Give a try.

18. skip8jj

skip8jj Member

Our MX, 654XX Vin, received the 2018.18 update about a week ago. Just checked and it does have "energy saving mode" and it is checked as "on", also it is "always connected". Prior to this update with same settings, Vampire draw amounted to about 3 miles of range per day over a three day span. With this latest update, 18.18, Vampire draw appears to have dropped to about 2 miles / day in a three day period of no driving.

The release notes for this update refer to Navigation improvements, front and rear trunk opening, and a couple of other small features.

19. Sonic_78

Sonic_78 Member

I am on 2018.21.9 with a new June delivery Model X. I had this feature when I received the car, but went looking for it today and now its gone. I can not enable Energy Saving (on/off) or Always Connected. My display looks like the OP's. Tried reboots, no change....

I went looking for the option because a couple things seemed out of place. The app says "waking up" when I open it on and also the folding mirrors do not unfold until I press the brake (use to unfold upon auto unlocking).

Is there any further info on this? It's still in my current Owners Manual as available features.

20. SeBsZ

SeBsZ Vendor

You have an MCU2 car, those features are not available yet just like on the Model 3.

• Informative x 1