TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Discussion in 'Model 3: User Interface' started by Matt3y, May 8, 2018.

1. Matt3y

Matt3y Member

#1 Matt3y, May 8, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2018
    Hey All, I just received an update to my TM3. 2018.18.1 090d8b9. I guess this has the dimming high beams and the new toggle switch for music. I haven't read the release notes yet, but if you have any questions let me know. I'll try to answer them tonight.

• Like x 1
  2. M falcon

M falcon Member

Have you tried the auto high beams tonight? How are they working? Any update to autopilot performance that you notice?

• Informative x 1
  3. Matt3y

Matt3y Member

I will try on my way home if it's dark enough and I'll keep an eye on and EAP changes.

4. Matt3y

Matt3y Member

Auto high beams worked pretty well for the brief time I used it. Once enabled, you'll see the greyed out high beam icon with the "A" inside. Once the car detects the coast is clear, high beams turn on. I need more time with it, but it seems pretty good.
    IMG_20180508_200515.jpg

• Informative x 4
    • Helpful x 1
  5. SDKoala

SDKoala Model 3 LR RWD

Do people drive with their high beams very often? I don't see myself using it, but people seem to be pretty excited the auto high beam dimming.

6. Matt3y

Matt3y Member

Can't speak to that, but when driving in the mountains or other really dark areas I could see the usefulness.

• Like x 1
  7. Daniellane

Daniellane Active Member

It’s actually very useful because it just works.
    Your visibility is magically extended.
    You don’t have to worry about turning them on and off it just happens kind of like the way it automatically opens and closes the garage door without your hands coming off the steering wheel.
    You just focus on driving.
    It’s a safety thing.
    Extending your visibility increases the amount of time you have to react to something that happens unexpectedly.
    Could actually help you avoid getting into an accident. Hitting a deer or a pedestrian that just appears out of the dark.
    My only complaint about it is that sometimes it’s too aggressive and turns the brights on when I probably wouldn’t.
    Like when a car is visible but pretty far in front of you. It even turns the brights on the freeway, which I never thought was legal.
    I’m not sure what the distance algorithm is.
    There are legal limits, which may vary from state to state.
    But I’m not sure.

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
  8. RyanS

RyanS Ka-chow

What’s new toggle switch for music? Any pics?

• Like x 3
    • Informative x 1
  9. the good touch

Why is your battery blue? Is that just the picture?

• Like x 1
  10. M falcon

M falcon Member

I use them all the time and have for years. I turn them on anytime I drive in the dark to see better and who doesn’t want to see better when driving. It’s a safety thing and it’s just more comfortable for me.

11. Matt3y

Matt3y Member

Just the picture.

12. SureValla

SureValla Member

do you see any degradation in headlight life? are you replacing them more often as a result?

13. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker S 100D 2019.20.4.2

I've only had my Tesla for a year and a half (and auto highbeams a lot less than that)...but I used the high beams regularly on my CR-V for 20 years and never once had to replace the headlights.

14. TT97

TT97 Active Member

Are the headlights LED? If so, LED have ridiculously long life span, 50,000+ hours (or about 6 years if you have them on 24 hours per day every day). It will be a very long time before ever needing to be replaced.

• Informative x 3
    • Helpful x 1
  15. MelaniainLA

MelaniainLA Member

Somehow a part of the LED headlamp on my 2017 S burned out. Not the entire thing — strange. It’s been a couple months and still no “part” to replace it with. It was before they made “premium” lighting standard on all S and X and wondering if the older non-premium light even exists!

16. TechVP

TechVP Active Poster

Sorry OP, off topic ICE car question... I'll make it brief...
    What MFG of lamps did you run on your CRV? I was burned by Phillips and Sylvania headlight bulbs -- like clockwork between 9 and 11months, each 9k miles driving 2004 CRV. In need of constant replacement.

The bulb tax was just one more sore point to move to the Model X :)
    -TechVP

17. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker S 100D 2019.20.4.2

Standard OEM bulbs but I did have one of the very first CR-Vs in the US. The early ones were made in Japan.

18. Daniellane

Daniellane Active Member

Not sure, but hitting a deer will definitely shorten the life of your headlights as well as the deer.

• Funny x 3
    • Informative x 1
  19. geometro

geometro Member

Is this for everyone or just those with EAP?

20. Matt3y

Matt3y Member

Gotta believe it is for everyone, but until someone else chimes in, I'm only guessing.