Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's weird. I thought I had 18.13 when I took delivery in April without the new updated media short cut and auto high beam. I had issues with AEB disable, limited steering assist so I went in to service center and they updated the software to 18.3. With the update last night, it's back to 18.13. Am I crazy?

It's weird. I thought I had 18.13 when I took delivery in April without the new updated media short cut and auto high beam. I had issues with AEB disable, limited steering assist so I went in to service center and they updated the software to 18.3. With the update last night, it's back to 18.13. Am I crazy?
Yes. :D

18.13 was just released yesterday. You probably had 14.x or 16.x.

Reactions: FE9000 and dhrivnak
For those that got the update. Did it make a bunch of weird noises? Did the screen freeze? And restarted itself?

This was my first update since getting the car and I sat in for 5 mins just to see what it would do because I only get 2 lte bars in my garage. I wanted to make sure it would be enough. It started making weird clicking sounds at the bottom of the car, the sound seemed to come from near the rear wheels. These were concerning sounds. The screen flashed as well as auto pilot icon flashed yellow. Lights flickered on and off and the screen froze. I was also charging the car and it started making this loud buzz noise ( not normal charging ) that made me decide to unplug and the noised stopped. The screen restarted it self, I checked the update log and only saw the music and auto highbeam which I know was already loaded on my car before all of this. Did my car update?!

Yeah, mine did the same thing. I attribute the under car "thunking" noises to HV contactors opening and closing in the main battery pack.
Like a lot of computer related device (Tesla cars are "computers on wheels"), many things reset during a full reboot cycle during upgrades.
I noticed also that the interior lights were going on and off by themselves during the upgrade.

I would bet they intend that the car be left to "upgrade in peace" and you just walk away until it is done. Being in the car trying to use it while upgrading could result in odd things happening and being noticed.

If you had an emergency and felt you had to drive right away, I wonder if you could abort the upgrade in progress and start driving? Personally, I wouldn't want to interrupt the upgrade once it has started because I would be concerned that something about the car could end up in an incorrect "state" (weird settings left behind after aborted upgrade attempt.)

Found this! Brand new with 18.13 some sort of easy access menu for mirrors and steering wheel settings

I found it a little tricky to get these icons to appear if your easy entry setting isn't' much different than your normal setting, plus the icons only appear during the transition from Easy Entry to your normal setting and not when you just click the Easy Entry/profile icon. I made a video to explain this.

I found it a little tricky to get these icons to appear if your easy entry setting isn't' much different than your normal setting, plus the icons only appear during the transition from Easy Entry to your normal setting and not when you just click the Easy Entry/profile icon. I made a video to explain this.

When designing UIs for easy discovery of features, you generally count how many clicks/taps it takes before you get to your feature. In this case, I believe they didn't include those icons in the manual selection of the easy entry profile because it would be the same number of clicks/taps as just going to the traditional location.

However in this case, you can certainly make the argument that some users will expect those controls to be tied with the profiles dropdown window since they do appear there during the automatic easy entry switch.

So I did the update last night and drove today. First thing I noticed was that when I put the car in reverse, I got a black screen instead of the backup camera for nearly 10 seconds. When I got in the car after being parked for nearly an hour, it happened again. If you've been driving for a bit and put it in reverse, the delay is not there. It seems to come only after the car has been parked for a while. I didn't notice any driving performance changes.
Also, I had to take my phone out and open the app for the trunk to unlock.

Seems like a downgrade update!

So I figured out a slightly faster way to get to quick controls. While driving, you can tap a seat adjust button on your seat, that will bring the menu up. Of course you would need to tap the restore button to undo the seat movement.

Not great - these buttons should just be there when you tap on your driver profile

• Informative
Reactions: PoitNarf
I love all these "reports" of people seeing improvements in things that probably weren't even touched. Bet these threads give the Tesla engineers a great laugh :)

Super ballsy to do a broad push of a FW update before a holiday travel weekend, esp. when the factory will be closed next week & many folks probably won't be around. This could go horribly wrong.

Part of me thinks they'd only do a broad push this fast IF it contained the brake fix. But I also think that if it DID contain that fix, Elon would already be drunk tweeting "told you we could fiks it biches…." at everyone that was blasting Tesla after the CR review.
7SDMh1x.jpg

So I did the update last night and drove today. First thing I noticed was that when I put the car in reverse, I got a black screen instead of the backup camera for nearly 10 seconds. When I got in the car after being parked for nearly an hour, it happened again. If you've been driving for a bit and put it in reverse, the delay is not there. It seems to come only after the car has been parked for a while. I didn't notice any driving performance changes.

18.3 started this with me. Never had issues with the camera in reverse until then.

I observed that the auto windshield wipers is working better with 18.13 than 18.03. I had noticed on 18.03 that in very light rain the wipers would not come on or move as frequent as they should. This appeared to be better in 18.13 as I had a light rain scenario happen last night.

It is same case with mine too. I did not have this problem with 18.3 or previous version. With this version I am getting the blank screen with rearview camera for 10-15 secs.Yes I did follow reboot procedure to see if that fixes. Nope, that did not solve the issue.

I had bluetooth issues with Android Phone Galaxy S5, still have same issue despite Tesla app is up and running, and infact Phone is connected via bluetooth and can stream via Bluetooth, but phone can not unlock or start/authenticate. Yes I did make sure Phone Key is enabled in app. Ofcourse it works sometime and sometime not. I could not find consistent pattern. Even after unlocking the car with Tesla app, and Phone connected via Bluetooth, no dice. I had to take Key Card to start(or enter password in Tesla app to start).

This is really annoying. Every other I have/had (even 12 years old car) never had problems with Smart Key and don't have to fiddle with phone, keys anything like that.

Last edited: