Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I observed that the auto windshield wipers is working better with 18.13 than 18.03. I had noticed on 18.03 that in very light rain the wipers would not come on or move as frequent as they should. This appeared to be better in 18.13 as I had a light rain scenario happen last night.
I've noticed the slow/no wipers with sprinkles. Will have to see if mine is any better now but will have to wait. No rain in the forecast for the next 5 days.

For those that got the update. Did it make a bunch of weird noises? Did the screen freeze? And restarted itself?

This was my first update since getting the car and I sat in for 5 mins just to see what it would do because I only get 2 lte bars in my garage. I wanted to make sure it would be enough. It started making weird clicking sounds at the bottom of the car, the sound seemed to come from near the rear wheels. These were concerning sounds. The screen flashed as well as auto pilot icon flashed yellow. Lights flickered on and off and the screen froze. I was also charging the car and it started making this loud buzz noise ( not normal charging ) that made me decide to unplug and the noised stopped. The screen restarted it self, I checked the update log and only saw the music and auto highbeam which I know was already loaded on my car before all of this. Did my car update?!
You’re not supposed to be in the car when it’s updating. Would you try to use your computer when the operating system is updating? Best to let it install overnight, which is what the default setting is. Leave it alone and you’ll come back to the updated car in the morning. Doing things, even opening a door, has been known to interfere with an update.

For those that got the update. Did it make a bunch of weird noises? Did the screen freeze? And restarted itself?

This was my first update since getting the car and I sat in for 5 mins just to see what it would do because I only get 2 lte bars in my garage. I wanted to make sure it would be enough. It started making weird clicking sounds at the bottom of the car, the sound seemed to come from near the rear wheels. These were concerning sounds. The screen flashed as well as auto pilot icon flashed yellow. Lights flickered on and off and the screen froze. I was also charging the car and it started making this loud buzz noise ( not normal charging ) that made me decide to unplug and the noised stopped. The screen restarted it self, I checked the update log and only saw the music and auto highbeam which I know was already loaded on my car before all of this. Did my car update?!
Re: watched it ... because I only get 2 lte bars in my garage --- the software is already downloaded and verified *before* they let you install it. Best to let it install while you are outside the car, leave it alone, and just wait for your phone app to let you know it is done.

Last edited:
Checking it out this morning and the reverse cam still blanks for about 2-3 seconds.
Honestly can’t tell the difference right now.
This is supposed to be the version with improved stopping, but also didn’t try a series of emergency stops, I’ll leave that to CR to test :D

I suspect that relays (contactors) thumping, and lights going on/off during upgrades could be some sort of "self diagnostic" being run during the reboot.
It could make sure that all the analog systems respond normally to know that the car is healthy.

• Informative
Reactions: dhanson865 and favo
Has anyone noticed any issues with Autopilot? Before this update it was very solid on the surface road I take to work. Today was the first day I have driven to work since the update and I noticed it going back and forth, not a full ping ponging, but not nearly as steady as it has been.

Regarding the noises folks are mentioning, I'm sure that significant updates poll almost every device the computer controls and interacts with. Going from 2018.10.4 to 2018.18.2, I sat in the car for the first time during the process. There was a little symphony of pops, clicks, whirs, hums, speaker crackles, and light flashes coming from all around me and from every location in the car, some of which I'd never have guessed had an electrical component within them.

Got only one software update Notification on Friday while we were out of town. Didn’t get any subsequent notifications. I wish the app would show an update is available. Even better, the version. Just returned home.
Currently on 2018.18.3. Installation running now.
Ok,
Took my wife’s Model 3/2018.18.13 out for a spin.
Didn’t have an opportunity to test emergency braking (fortunately).
Vehicle Hold still functions Normally for us in this version.
163AFDBC-38D4-4827-A753-C843620A89C1.jpeg

Acceleration from a dead stop seems a bit laggy, however, my normal car is a Model S 100D, so my baseline for normal is biased.
My impression has always been that it’s plenty zippy but no match for the Model S.
It is possible that Tesla tweaked the acceleration curve.
There are some things you can only do in a Tesla! • r/teslamotors

• Funny
Reactions: israndy
Just curious as I don’t have my car yet. Can you not defer an install until the geek squad owners figure out if it is a plus or minus? If your car is working in an acceptable way, what’s the rush? Can you skip an “update” until the next one is out and then leapfrog it, if the newer one proves to be better? Seems if Tesla pushes you a pill across the table, you should not swallow it until you know what it is. They should absolutely tell you up front the contents of that pill. It’s your car. You control what goes into it, or you should. Send them an email and demand such. If everyone did this, we would not end up being a $60,000 beta tester.

Just curious as I don’t have my car yet. Can you not defer an install until the geek squad owners figure out if it is a plus or minus? If your car is working in an acceptable way, what’s the rush? Can you skip an “update” until the next one is out and then leapfrog it, if the newer one proves to be better? Seems if Tesla pushes you a pill across the table, you should not swallow it until you know what it is. They should absolutely tell you up front the contents of that pill. It’s your car. You control what goes into it, or you should. Send them an email and demand such. If everyone did this, we would not end up being a $60,000 beta tester.
That’s really funny.
Once you get your car, and find out that many people have gotten an update with cool new features that you have yet to receive, you will likely find yourself anxiously awaiting the update. And becoming giddy when the notification finally arrives. It’s like a kid saying boy, I really hate Christmas - all those gifts clandestinely wrapped. If only I knew what was inside I could refuse it.

• Funny
Reactions: 0ptions
Very strange, the rear cam view is no longer blanking out now.
Trying a vampire drain test tonite, keeping phone away.
Also had one issue with the phone key, but I figured out that the app must be on the front screen for the unlock to work. After a bit of experimenting I found that if you leave the app on something like “Controls” it wont unlock.

I found that 2018.18.3 added a hidden Cabin Overheat Protection. No controls for it, but on that version, the car NEVER got over 105 internal.
Seems that 2018.18.13 removed that feature. It's currently 128 inside the cabin, and it's not yet noon here in Texas. And I did leave my windows open about 1 inch today.
I really hope they get Cabin Overheat fully supported. I have no issue sacrificing ~ 10 miles of range in a day to keep the inside from baking.

• Informative
Reactions: Scrutmonkey
I found that 2018.18.3 added a hidden Cabin Overheat Protection. No controls for it, but on that version, the car NEVER got over 105 internal.
Seems that 2018.18.13 removed that feature. It's currently 128 inside the cabin, and it's not yet noon here in Texas. And I did leave my windows open about 1 inch today.
I really hope they get Cabin Overheat fully supported. I have no issue sacrificing ~ 10 miles of range in a day to keep the inside from baking.
Why don't you just set the cabin temperature manually via the app? The only drawback versus the Overheat Protection is that you have to remember to do it.