Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why don't you just set the cabin temperature manually via the app? The only drawback versus the Overheat Protection is that you have to remember to do it.
Is this true? No additional things running (ie lcd, or? ) ? The other inconvenience / limitation is that I doubt that you can set the temperature for 105 degrees like the cabin Overheat Protection...

EDIT : Maybe you meant as you approach the car?

I found that 2018.18.3 added a hidden Cabin Overheat Protection. No controls for it, but on that version, the car NEVER got over 105 internal.
Seems that 2018.18.13 removed that feature. It's currently 128 inside the cabin, and it's not yet noon here in Texas. And I did leave my windows open about 1 inch today.
I really hope they get Cabin Overheat fully supported. I have no issue sacrificing ~ 10 miles of range in a day to keep the inside from baking.

Yup, I concur...the reverse camera no longer lagging and cabin overheat is now off...car is a toasty 109 now. i guess they were just testing out the code and they'll probably add the interface setting after.

Why don't you just set the cabin temperature manually via the app? The only drawback versus the Overheat Protection is that you have to remember to do it.
I do start the AC before walking out via the app. However, to prevent damage, I wouldn't mind spending some range if throughout the day the car kept it below the level need to boil an egg.
A couple of weeks ago, the internal temp got up to 158, and the Texas summer is just getting going. 158 degrees can't be good for anything.

I do start the AC before walking out via the app. However, to prevent damage, I wouldn't mind spending some range if throughout the day the car kept it below the level need to boil an egg.
A couple of weeks ago, the internal temp got up to 158, and the Texas summer is just getting going. 158 degrees can't be good for anything.

This is the first car I've had where I can keep track of the internal temperature of the car remotely. It hasn't come close to the highs of summer in Southern California yet, so I have no idea exactly how hot the car can get. I've already seen 145F when it was sitting in the spring sun for most of the day. For all I know, this is normal, especially for a dark colored car. From a comfort level, I just open all the windows and blast the AC for a few minutes when getting in to drive. Of course it's nice to have the option to precondition from the app, but I don't always remember to do it.

If it's safe for the electronics, I personally don't care if the inside is an oven. Model S and Model X experience would be informative here. Contrary to what a lot of people are saying (sacrificing range to maintain a lower temp), I'd rather have the option to disable cabin overheat protection and keep the range instead of turning on the HVAC unnecessarily. I don't need the inside of my car to be comfortable at 12PM if I'm not getting in it again until 5PM. It would be pretty bad engineering to make the car depend on automatic HVAC to keep the electronics functioning, but I don't put that beyond Tesla as this point.

Get some window tint, gents. That will keep the internal temperature down even in the hot sun. Use the darkest that's legal in your state, and get as many of the windows done as is legal.

Here in Texas, I had everything but the windshield covered with 35% VLT SunTek Carbon XP (including back window and glass roof). Internal temperatures are at least 20-25 degrees F lower than before.

I think in some other states, the VLT (visible light transmission) percentage may be allowed to be lower, but check before you have it installed. Also, some states prohibit tinting driver's and passenger's windows and/or rear window, you can only do back side windows.

I have never had window tint on any of my previous cars, the Model 3 is the first one I've had done, and I'm astonished at the temperature difference. Even when driving, the interior of the car is less stratified while the A/C is on, with a lot less heat near the roof glass.

while the cabin overheat protection is gone (90deg day, 115 in my car, full tint, including windshield)... the vampire drain remains.

9 hours parked, 9 miles gone.

had zero drain before 18.3
very odd - last night I left it unplugged for 10 hours and lost a single mile.
Is it just me or does EAP run slightly left of center in .13 compared to .03 ?

Get some window tint, gents. That will keep the internal temperature down even in the hot sun. Use the darkest that's legal in your state, and get as many of the windows done as is legal.

Here in Texas, I had everything but the windshield covered with 35% VLT SunTek Carbon XP (including back window and glass roof). Internal temperatures are at least 20-25 degrees F lower than before.

I think in some other states, the VLT (visible light transmission) percentage may be allowed to be lower, but check before you have it installed. Also, some states prohibit tinting driver's and passenger's windows and/or rear window, you can only do back side windows.

I have never had window tint on any of my previous cars, the Model 3 is the first one I've had done, and I'm astonished at the temperature difference. Even when driving, the interior of the car is less stratified while the A/C is on, with a lot less heat near the roof glass.
150-25 still equals 125. Need the cabin overheat protection feature back her in AZ. Option or not please!

Wow! An entire thread of "I got my new update and there are no changes". There was a time I would eat up any info on the car. But I cannot believe I read 6 pages of that.

OK, I guess the thrill is finally wearing off. I can go back to my life before I was invited to configure.

-Randy

• Funny
Reactions: scottf200
I did enjoy all the references to the switching relays, reminds me of Forbidden Planet:

Morbius. The big machine, 8,000 miles of klystron relays, enough power for a whole population of creative geniuses, operated by remote control. Morbius, operated by the electromagnetic impulses of individual Krell brains.

-Randy

Reactions: landis