Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Funny I had noticed the greyscale too, but didn't know it was a new "feature" until I read it here! Someone tell Tesla that water isn't grey. I'm trying to decide if the rear-view camera (after the 1 second black screen which is quite annoying) is actually worse resolution.....I'm not sure, but it seems lower res to me. Maybe someone that hasn't taken this update ought to get a few rear-view camera screenshots BEFORE they accept the update to compare image quality AFTER the update.

I like the streaming source organization, it shows favorites better. I hope something similar is coming to radio and tune-in?

Funny that the comment about auto-park above. For the first time since I took delivery of my M3 I tried on Friday to use auto-park and was disappointed how hard it seemed to be to get it to recognize an available parking space (parallel). Friday night I got the update but hadn't heard that auto-park was affected, so I hope I get better performance than I did Friday morning!

Looking for other data points from others on 18.3

Over the last few days on 18.3 I have been listening to more media on my phone that I usually do and I'm getting disconnects. This forces my phone to pause and then it reconnects. I have to unpause to resume. It is happening noticeably more often than prior to 18.3 and am curious if it's related to Tesla trying to "fix" the phone-key thing with Bluetooth stack resets or something? Anyway, just curious if anyone is streaming from their phones on 18.3 and if they notice disconnects....

Looking for other data points from others on 18.3

Over the last few days on 18.3 I have been listening to more media on my phone that I usually do and I'm getting disconnects. This forces my phone to pause and then it reconnects. I have to unpause to resume. It is happening noticeably more often than prior to 18.3 and am curious if it's related to Tesla trying to "fix" the phone-key thing with Bluetooth stack resets or something? Anyway, just curious if anyone is streaming from their phones on 18.3 and if they notice disconnects....

I've had some (infrequent) issues with the phone making the initial connection for Bluetooth streaming, but once connected and playing it has been rock solid. Android - Nexus 5X.

Going from 14.2 to 18.3 today I can tell a difference in acceleration. It’s slower on the standard acceleration setting now on 18.3 compared to 14.2. I read this on the Model3 owners forum and purposely delayed the update until 9AM the next day so that I could drive the car right before and right after the update.

18.3 update
I was having vampire lost this morning. Total of 6 miles within a 2-3 hour time span. I was at work. Camera screen was turning black for a second or two.

I have no 3rd party apps, never had an issue of vampire lost, and was not in Bluetooth range when at work today.

I called Tesla and they suggested to do a longer reboot. I always did a reboot by holding the scroll buttons until the screen turned black. They suggested to hold the scroll buttons until the Tesla symbol comes unto the screen and then release.
My camera screen does not turn black for the first couple of seconds anymore (never had an issue until the 18.3) and no more vampire drain since the reboot which was at 1 pm est.

5C2B7FC9-C269-4653-95CC-FC6B12AB0A10.jpeg
1pm

630A8B6C-A0BD-4A72-BE08-67BAAA3F5808.png
Since reboot 535pm

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: nvx1977 and israndy
18.3 update
I was having vampire lost this morning. Total of 6 miles within a 2-3 hour time span. I was at work. Camera screen was turning black for a second or two.

I have no 3rd party apps, never had an issue of vampire lost, and was not in Bluetooth range when at work today.

I called Tesla and they suggested to do a longer reboot. I always did a reboot by holding the scroll buttons until the screen turned black. They suggested to hold the scroll buttons until the Tesla symbol comes unto the screen and then release.
My camera screen does not turn black for the first couple of seconds anymore (never had an issue until the 18.3) and no more vampire drain since the reboot which was at 1 pm est.
FYI, 18 updates added cabin overheat protection on by default (no UI option). So that's probably why it would drain during the day.

Not sure it’s been mentioned but since the update, I notice that the car no longer does the annoying thing of blinking 3 times in the opposite direction when you turn off the turn signal after hard pressing it.

If you hard pressed it one way, then hard press the other will it only cancel now or will it actually keep blinking in the opposite direction?

There's a few places where I regularly make a U-turn followed by an immediate right turn and in my current car that involves flipping the turn signal from one extreme to the other with an outreached finger while returning the wheel to center just before making the right turn.

FYI, 18 updates added cabin overheat protection on by default (no UI option). So that's probably why it would drain during the day.
I got a call from Tesla
You are correct!!
The rebooting thing does not help lol
Also they are aware of the camera turning black. It only happens initially after the car is asleep and is woken up.
Not complaining, just was wondering why. I can live with it until the next update.

• Informative
Reactions: phigment
I got a call from Tesla
You are correct!!
The rebooting thing does not help lol

Shoot. I have been so curious what the issue is. The last three days I set an alarm at 8am&pm so I would do a screenshot of the Tesla app so I can track the behavior of the loss and I am pretty consistently losing 10 miles a night. TezLab says I hit a record 30 miles of loss for the day yesterday. When I get back from my next road trip I'll reset the password and see what it's like w/o communications, I'll have a week more of data too.

-Randy

My camera screen does not turn black for the first couple of seconds anymore (never had an issue until the 18.3)

Holy crap, this worked! No more black screen on rear camera anymore.

I'm going to do this for all future firmware updates if that's what it takes to get the car to fully play nice with the update.

-edit- might have spoken too soon. Seeing black again on the rear camera.

Last edited:

I'm going to do this for all future firmware updates if that's what it takes to get the car to fully play nice with the update.

Wow I'm going to try this today as well and report back.

That black screen on reverse has been bothering me. (I also seem to have more vampire drain while parked, even in a garage in 70~ degree weather. No direct sunlight). Lost about 2-3 miles sitting for 6 hours.

Reactions: TQCLove
anyone know if the S/X overheat protection have similar vampire drain?

I never bothered to look in my S, and I don't drive it daily.

my 3 got update last nite, looks like overheat protection is on, as it's 80 degrees outside, and only 99 degrees in my car... it's been 7 1/2 hrs and about 5 miles of drain.

I got a call today back and was told reboot does not always fix stuff. In this case regarding the black screen.
My second reply to shygar explains what is going on now with the screen.
It only happens after the car First wakes up. Black screen with white lines. Then does not happen after that. I least for me. Maybe different for others during the day.
The bottom line is They are aware of the problem and be patient...they are working on a solution.

Shoot. I have been so curious what the issue is. The last three days I set an alarm at 8am&pm so I would do a screenshot of the Tesla app so I can track the behavior of the loss and I am pretty consistently losing 10 miles a night. TezLab says I hit a record 30 miles of loss for the day yesterday. When I get back from my next road trip I'll reset the password and see what it's like w/o communications, I'll have a week more of data too.

-Randy
Dude get rid of the third party app. I do not run any third party apps.
Have you spoken with a Tesla service rep regarding your problem regarding vampire drain. You must have something else going on that is not working on your vehicle correctly.

Since the recent update I thought I had vampire drain (which I never had before) it was just a hvac turning on to cool the car down. I am ok with this. This was part of the software update 18.3. I have to believe Tesla is having their customers in mind and are trying to do the right thing.

Call them if you have not already. Have them help you. At least you will get answers from them and not from me on how to fix your issue
Good luck

Reactions: TexasEV