Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
pretty soon we're all going to be on a newer firmware version, since Elon is going to push out the emergency braking fix. Wonder if he'll package other things in with that. The only negative aspect of 2018.18.3 for my car is the 1-2sec black screen from the rear camera. Hoping that gets addressed.

pretty soon we're all going to be on a newer firmware version, since Elon is going to push out the emergency braking fix.

The fix is for the Anti-lock Braking System (ABS), not the Automatic Emergency Braking feature (AEB).

ABS prevents the wheels from locking up during very hard braking, whether that braking is initiated by the car automatically or by the driver manually.

AEB is a safety feature included with the Autopilot safety suite (included on all cars) that applies the brakes automatically if the car senses an impending front-end collision. AEB is designed only to mitigate the collision, not avoid it. AEB only decreases speed by a maximum of 25 MPH, it is up to the driver to continue reducing speed after that if required.

• Informative
Reactions: dhrivnak
When I first got 18.3, I had to delete the phone key from the car, then go into the app and use the 'forget phone key' option. After I repaired it that way, my phone key has been virtually flawless, much better than it's ever been in the car. Note that I only followed the above steps because I was forced to. Phone key wasn't working at all after the update.
Troubleshooting procedures like this are exactly why the phone key is a bad idea. It was all completely predictable too for anyone who has ever tried to get any consumer electronics from 2 different manufacturers to work well together.
I already have to help my mom troubleshoot her laptop. Now I'll have to help her troubleshoot her car key too? Just make a fob and end this nonsense.

Troubleshooting procedures like this are exactly why the phone key is a bad idea. It was all completely predictable too for anyone who has ever tried to get any consumer electronics from 2 different manufacturers to work well together.
I already have to help my mom troubleshoot her laptop. Now I'll have to help her troubleshoot her car key too? Just make a fob and end this nonsense.
The card has worked every time, along with the app. I personally think people are making a bigger deal out of it than it is, but that's just my opinion. I really like it when the phone works, but when it doesn't I just pull out my wallet and I'm off. No need to carry a pocket full of keys anymore.

Reactions: chibi_kurochan

See: HDMI-CEC and various vendor specific implementation flavors for many years. Compatibility has improved lately... but only when the vendors want to. (For example, my brand new Sony TV flat refuses to perform certain HDMI-CEC actions with my Yamaha receiver that my 3 year old Samsung TV will happily do with the same model Yamaha receiver)

Reactions: slipnslider

See: HDMI-CEC and various vendor specific implementation flavors for many years. Compatibility has improved lately... but only when the vendors want to. (For example, my brand new Sony TV flat refuses to perform certain HDMI-CEC actions with my Yamaha receiver that my 3 year old Samsung TV will happily do with the same model Yamaha receiver)

Good points, but IMHO, you don't throw out the concept with the implementations. I wish that Tesla had executed better on this from the get-gone because this really isn't rocket science - it's about rigor and discipline in planning, design, and testing.

This concept has been working fine for me with my home's entry door lock (multiple vendors) and phone-as-key (also multiple vendors) for years, but there were hiccups along the way. In 3 years or so I'm betting that every car has this option, and it will work much more reliably.

The card has worked every time, along with the app. I personally think people are making a bigger deal out of it than it is, but that's just my opinion. I really like it when the phone works, but when it doesn't I just pull out my wallet and I'm off. No need to carry a pocket full of keys anymore.

I would agree with this if there were card sensors on the passenger side and somewhere along the trunk. Pain in the ass to have to walk around the car to lock/unlock, particularly if I have my kid in my arms or carrying loads of stuff in my hands to load in the trunk. I always have to put things down to get the wallet out and walk to the driver's side.

I also can't unlock the car in advance so the kids can get in by themselves. With my S, I reach in my pocket, doubleclick my fob and done. With the 3, I have to take out my phone, unlock it, open the app, then unlock. Way less convenient.

To be fair to Tesla and the BLE system not working reliably, I doubt it's something any of the cellphone manufacturers planned to support in any way. On the other hand... Tesla surely knew this when they chose this path, so we can really only blame Tesla for trying something outside the implementation box.

Respectfully, I disagree with your first statement - Section 1 of this paper should clear that up: Analysis of Latency Performance of Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) Networks

Reading this again made me think something new - that the "LE" in "BLE" isn't the sum total of what BLE is all about, but it's a functional requirement supporting adhoc networking that has percolated all the way up into its trademark.

Totally agree with general gist your "other hand" :)

• Informative
Reactions: nvx1977
Oh boy, in one of the updates - they have mapped the scroll wheel on the right side of steering to increase/decrease the cruise control speed. While in autopilot, I accidentally caused the wheel to rotate, and the set speed jumped by 5mph. I immediately cancelled Autopilot, and tested the operation again and again.

While I like this ability to change the set speed from the steering without having to touch the display, I also feel the need to stay on top of the functionalities Tesla will update.

The card is inferior to a fob, the phone key is less reliable. Telsa replaced one reliable system with two inferior systems.

Entering and starting your car is pretty fundamental to using your car, so having an unreliable system for doing so is a rather big deal, even if tesla provides a workaround band-aid for the unreliable system.

Reactions: BioSehnsucht
Oh boy, in one of the updates - they have mapped the scroll wheel on the right side of steering to increase/decrease the cruise control speed. While in autopilot, I accidentally caused the wheel to rotate, and the set speed jumped by 5mph. I immediately cancelled Autopilot, and tested the operation again and again.

While I like this ability to change the set speed from the steering without having to touch the display, I also feel the need to stay on top of the functionalities Tesla will update.

This happened quite a while ago--12.X, I think. Definitely not in 18.3, which is what this thread is about. Regardless, most of us are moving on to 18.13.

You forgot to mention the biggest annoyance of all using the app to unlock the car: the 30-60 second wait for the car to wake up and establish a connection with Tesla servers before it will respond to the app.

In my use case, I'm in the mud room getting kids ready, so I'm right next to the garage. Assuming the phone key is working, I can unlock the car with the app while it's trying to wake. the BLE connection is independent of the data connection needed for the API calls.

But yeah, if I'm coming out of a store, and BLE connection isn't there yet, or it died, then there's a horrible wake wait.

In my use case, I'm in the mud room getting kids ready, so I'm right next to the garage. Assuming the phone key is working, I can unlock the car with the app while it's trying to wake. the BLE connection is independent of the data connection needed for the API calls.

But yeah, if I'm coming out of a store, and BLE connection isn't there yet, or it died, then there's a horrible wake wait.
Remember I posted under .3 regarding charger plug release and trunk release. I actually have had .13 since may 22. Try it now.