Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2018.2 0eddd23 detected

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any Model X owners with 2018.2 tested the rumored feature that the FWD does not close when someone is standing underneath? See reddit post for background -

2018.2 Model X • r/teslamotors

Small note from that thread:

Inward facing ultrasonics were implemented sometime around November of 2017. Therefore not all MX have this ability after the update. The sensors are located behind the speaker grill in the falcon doors.

So only newer Model Xs have this feature...

Has anyone seen an improvement in the side collision avoidance (shadows on the right and left of the car icon on the display) It seems as if they are no better than turning your head and looking at the side mirror) The shadow literally appears when another car is at your passenger doors- not before. Not a helpful feature currently.

Based on the initial slow rollout, I was pleasantly surprised to be notified that the update was available for installation Monday night. For those that are keeping track of the various vehicle configurations which have received the update, our S75D is currently not EAP enabled.

@Daniellane Quit posting videos like that. It's making it harder to not enable EAP. ;)

Any Model X owners with 2018.2 tested the rumored feature that the FWD does not close when someone is standing underneath? See reddit post for background -

2018.2 Model X • r/teslamotors

My Model X (which is not 2018.2, its 2017.50) FWD does not close when standing underneath, I noticed this since the time I bought my Model X in Sept 2017 - which means, this was enabled in earlier FW builds too.

My Model X (which is not 2018.2, its 2017.50) FWD does not close when standing underneath, I noticed this since the time I bought my Model X in Sept 2017 - which means, this was enabled in earlier FW builds too.

This is super interesting. Mine was purchased in August '17 and built at the end of May '17. It definitely closes on my head even with the 2018.2 software. I wonder if Tesla would clarify when they started adding the sensor that is enabling this? Anyone have more info?

This is super interesting. Mine was purchased in August '17 and built at the end of May '17. It definitely closes on my head even with the 2018.2 software. I wonder if Tesla would clarify when they started adding the sensor that is enabling this? Anyone have more info?

I think this might have been part of the multiple things that got upgraded for cars that were built on Aug 21st 2017 and beyond - AP2.5, FWD internal sensing, etc.

• Helpful
Reactions: silverwolfe08
This is probably why some X's had failed updates with prior firmware versions. (The firmware didn't know how to handle the extra sensor that the newer FWD had in them.) So when people took their Xs in and got the sensors replaced with the older revision of the sensors in to allow the firmware update to succeed they lost the new functionality. (I'm just guessing here but it makes sense.)

I drove back from Palm Desert to Southwest Washington this past weekend after receiving the 2018.2 Oeddd23 update on Friday. So I have driven over thousand miles on it.
For me it was absolutely amazing. I will pull some of the dash cam footage off and post it soon.
For now here is a clip I recorded on Monday.
This was a very challenging auto pilot test for AP2 firmware version 2018.2 Oeddd23 in my 2017 Tesla Model S 90D. In the dark in the rain with auto wipers on and 2 lanes merging into a single lane and eventually traversing a narrow bridge. This is the entire drive from onramp to offramp.
You can hear when autopilot is engaged just after entering the highway and disengaged just before exiting the highway. It was a flawless and smooth drive. Absolutely no hesitation or ping-ponging. Simply put perfection!
Great video, thanks for sharing.

Btw: refreshing to see someone use the left lane as it was intended, bravo!

I have a December 17 built X on .53, the FWD does not close on my head. I did it in the name of science also. The car just beeps and doesn't attempt to close.
Ditto for X. December 23 delivered X75 Stood under the FWD and pressed the close button. After 5 or so seconds it emits error beeps. To close the FWD you have to press the close button again and get out of the way. It will not close if you are standing directly under it.

Reactions: Jjadmd
I have a May/17 build and the door hit my head. Would be nice if the sensors could be retrofitted somehow, but I can't imagine Tesla wanting to support that.
I have a June/17 and the door hit my head too. I pulled the speaker cover off to take a picture. Perhaps some people with this support could pull theirs off. There are just 4 spots (2 left, top right, middle right) that have tabs you just gently pull on.

ALSO notice what else is missing --- where is the emergency release cable?!? UPDATE -- oh, I see it is the little cable wire. I should put a pull ring on it or something (red electrically taping it to stand out).

Speaker cover removed 2nd row right IMG_20180125_161031.jpg

emergency qoYJJzn.jpg

Attachments

• Speaker cover removed 2nd row right IMG_20180125_161031.jpg
    Speaker cover removed 2nd row right IMG_20180125_161031.jpg
    606.2 KB · Views: 39
So a bit more data and a bit more speculation:

• Absolutely loving this build. Definitely a step up in every way compared to .50.3 in terms of AP performance
  • Stopping for stopped cars is improved a little but not great. On a straight road, 35mph and below seems manageable and comfortable. Above 35mph, it feels really dicey. Around curves, it also detects too late, even at 35mph. I had one case where I was testing and needed ABS-level braking on dry roads to intervene. I still would not attempt to let AP2 stop on its own around curves, and even head-on, nothing above 30mph.
  • I still feel like the MCU stability regressed a little. Seen a few spontaneous reboots, some cases of sluggish performance that resolves with a reboot. Not bothering me too much but it's noticeable.

Speculation: Since the earning report / shareholder letter is in a week, it feels like Tesla always likes to roll something out right before the letter in order to have a blurb about how they've made awesome Autopilot progress…. Maybe I'm being too hopeful, but I'm crossing my fingers for some sort of interesting rollout this weekend.

Has anyone seen an improvement in the side collision avoidance (shadows on the right and left of the car icon on the display) It seems as if they are no better than turning your head and looking at the side mirror) The shadow literally appears when another car is at your passenger doors- not before. Not a helpful feature currently.
This has been a constant issue. My AP1 and now AP2 cars would not sense a car until it got to the back of the front passenger door. The rear sensors should show the car before an overlap happens and continue to show it as long as there is a car on either side of the Tesla. The ultrasonic sensors or the software and not doing a good job showing were an overlap condition is happening. Yes, the side cameras should help but the sensors should be doing it now.