Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2018-2020 Model X or Brand New 2023 Model Y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What makes the most sense? A used 2018-2020 Model X or Brand New 2023 Model Y. Assume the same price around 55-58k

Model X - have two kids who love our minivan. 6 seater with captain chairs is ideal. How “slow” is the technology? How bad is battery degradation with model X?

Very familiar with the model y, less so with the model x. Any info is appreciated!!

We have a 2017 with 70K miles and a 2022 with 6K miles. Both cars are great (ordered the 2nd one because of my positive experience with the 1st one.) Drove the 2017 across country from CA to MA... lots of space, comfortable and easy to charge.

2017 X had a rating of 295 miles, now 100% charge is at 274 miles. New X will definitely give you 15-20% more range in real life driving.

I also have a 2022 Y. Both Xs (all 5 seaters) are more comfortable and luxurious than the Y. Both my wife and I prefer the 2017 dash layout as compared to the 2022: Turn signal stalk, portrait and built in screen, regular steering wheel.

Newer X has a few more features, but nothing of substance as compared to the 2017. Of course, warranty and remaining life of new versus used are the primary considerations.

Don't get me wrong, between the two Xs, I like the newer 2022. Between a 2022 Y and a 2022 X: I prefer the X.

It comes down to how much money you want to spend. In my opinion, I can see the price difference between a Y and an X - the engineering, the suspension, the construction are just a significant step up in the X compared to the Y.

Hope this helps.

We have a 2017 with 70K miles and a 2022 with 6K miles. Both cars are great (ordered the 2nd one because of my positive experience with the 1st one.) Drove the 2017 across country from CA to MA... lots of space, comfortable and easy to charge.

2017 X had a rating of 295 miles, now 100% charge is at 274 miles. New X will definitely give you 15-20% more range in real life driving.

I also have a 2022 Y. Both Xs (all 5 seaters) are more comfortable and luxurious than the Y. Both my wife and I prefer the 2017 dash layout as compared to the 2022: Turn signal stalk, portrait and built in screen, regular steering wheel.

Newer X has a few more features, but nothing of substance as compared to the 2017. Of course, warranty and remaining life of new versus used are the primary considerations.

Don't get me wrong, between the two Xs, I like the newer 2022. Between a 2022 Y and a 2022 X: I prefer the X.

It comes down to how much money you want to spend. In my opinion, I can see the price difference between a Y and an X - the engineering, the suspension, the construction are just a significant step up in the X compared to the Y.

Hope this helps.
Thanks!!

I'm struggling with this too. I actually ordered a used X from Tesla that day right before they announced the model Y-P would qualify for the IRA. I haven't taken delivery yet, but so far I'm still on the side of going with the X. Situation- 2 kids, tall family, need something to transport us all in comfortably for distances with luggage. Also can't replicate the prices I grabbed the X for on Tesla's used listings anymore, they seem to have gone up. Can people rate my deal?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230203-121403.png
    Screenshot_20230203-121403.png
    370.5 KB · Views: 649
Reactions: Bacalao
I'm struggling with this too. I actually ordered a used X from Tesla that day right before they announced the model Y-P would qualify for the IRA. I haven't taken delivery yet, but so far I'm still on the side of going with the X. Situation- 2 kids, tall family, need something to transport us all in comfortably for distances with luggage. Also can't replicate the prices I grabbed the X for on Tesla's used listings anymore, they seem to have gone up. Can people rate my deal?
I ended up going with new MY. Wasn’t comfortable with a used MX with older technology and lots of miles.

Reactions: El joe and mybeans
I'm actually contemplating the same thing. Looking at newer Y or older X currently. Like a 2018 Model X P100D or a 2021 Model Y Performance. I'm trying to decide if I can live with the slower charging of the pre-Raven Model X or if I should hold out looking for a Raven instead. 90% of the time it'll be fine since I'm just driving around town, it's the couple times a year that we go for road trips that will take longer. I suppose we could just rent a car for those instead. But then I'll have to start looking at rentals that allow border crossings into Canada.

I just grabbed a raven model x performance with fsd 6 seat white interior for 69k. Directly from tesla with 50k miles on it. That is roughly the same price as a new model y performance (including the tax credit). I would go raven if I were you (2019-1020)

I'm actually contemplating the same thing. Looking at newer Y or older X currently. Like a 2018 Model X P100D or a 2021 Model Y Performance. I'm trying to decide if I can live with the slower charging of the pre-Raven Model X or if I should hold out looking for a Raven instead. 90% of the time it'll be fine since I'm just driving around town, it's the couple times a year that we go for road trips that will take longer. I suppose we could just rent a car for those instead. But then I'll have to start looking at rentals that allow border crossings into Canada.
I just grabbed a raven model x performance with fsd 6 seat white interior for 69k. Directly from tesla with 50k miles on it. That is roughly the same price as a new model y performance (including the tax credit). I would go raven if I were you (2019-1020)

Reactions: bnsn
Similar question but 2017 Tesla MX 75D in Rockville MD US listed at Sold 2017 Tesla MX 75D @$46K vs new 3 row MYLR at $58K-7.5K credit

X Cons: Falcon wings (are failing at delivery today, so is motor for driver seat) Some other issues attached. They said I would have to take delivery then fix, I balked at that .Range is about 210 at 100%

Pros: 3 row vents, beautiful.

Only negative is $2.5K X order fee that I'm asking them to refund b/c of all the issues above. They balked at it at 1st, but hopefully they'll back down given all the issues with delivery. They said they don't check that till delivery station??

Attachments

• Adobe Scan Apr 01, 2023.pdf
    797.7 KB · Views: 210