Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2018.21 0fa48d9

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you are in autopilot in AP2 and try to change lanes, the cars around you light up. AP2 absolutely know that cars are around you. I’m not sure I follow your point. As of now, just showing cars ahead of you directly and to the sides is not useful. In what way is AP1 more aware? I have not had an instance where AP2 tried to move me into an adjacent lane while it was occupied. To the contrary, it has aborted lane changes when someone unexpectedly moves into an adjacent lane within its safety cushion.

I haven’t seen the cars light up as you say when changing lanes... too busy looking myself to make sure the lane is clear. Will have to look...

Reactions: Fiddler
Here's what I found on the Internet

giphy.gif

If this is 2018.21 then the adjacent lane tracking differs from what we saw in 2018.5. The previous betas only tracked the vehicles while they were in the FOV of the front cameras. I think BigD0g posted a video demonstrating this in the Autopilot Maps thread.

Could it be that the newest beta is finally using the repeater cameras to track the adjacent cars instead of just relying on ultrasonics?

Reactions: JohnnyG
If this is 2018.21 then the adjacent lane tracking differs from what we saw in 2018.5. The previous betas only tracked the vehicles while they were in the FOV of the front cameras. I think BigD0g posted a video demonstrating this in the Autopilot Maps thread.

Could it be that the newest beta is finally using the repeater cameras to track the adjacent cars instead of just relying on ultrasonics?

I believe NN unchanged in 2018.21 and no calibration of the repeater cams.

Currently on 2018.18 and it will show cars directly adjacent to my target lane during ALC. I think it's just extrapolating the position based on ultrasonic feedback.

I've heard this beta firmware had markedly increased nag times. Every 15 or 20 seconds likely in reaction to AP accidents. I hope that doesn't make it into regular builds...

Reactions: Tjhappel
I believe NN unchanged in 2018.21 and no calibration of the repeater cams.

Currently on 2018.18 and it will show cars directly adjacent to my target lane during ALC. I think it's just extrapolating the position based on ultrasonic feedback.

I've heard this beta firmware had markedly increased nag times. Every 15 or 20 seconds likely in reaction to AP accidents. I hope that doesn't make it into regular builds...

I didn't realise the repeaters were still not calibrated, that does indicate it's just using ultrasonics which is disappointing. In that case they've spent time between 2018.5 and 2018.21 refining the ultrasonics for displaying adjacent vehicles. I wonder why that is since we all assumed the repeater cams were waiting in the wings to be switched on which would take over that responsibility. It sounds like things may be further away than we thought.

Hope they change the nags back but my trust in AP2 has declined as time has gone by even as its capability and reliability has improved. I keep my hands on the wheel these days!

Reactions: GSP and croman
It actually does have blind spot detection and different CAN messages when there is a vehicle is in the blind spot, but it doesn't provide warning to a driver. I think they want to make it camera base.

But is it supposed to use this informations?

I'm asking because I did some rough tests and here in Europe at least, here's how to car reacts:

- If there's a car not far from yours in the adjacent lane (visible in your side mirror) --> ALC initiates as soon as you put your turn signal on, no matter how fast the car behind is going (which results in a crash if you don't take back manual control / abort ALC)

- If there's a car in your blind spot in the adjacent lane (not visible in your side mirror) --> ALC sometimes initiates despite it might run into the other car as soon as you put your turn signal on. It doesn't do it everytime, but often enough to be dangerous.

- If there's a car in the adjacent lane which is a bit further on the road than yours --> ALC waits for the car to be farther before initiating the lane change.

In other words, ALC is useless at the moment for me if there's some traffic on the road.

I'm asking because I did some rough tests and here in Europe at least, here's how to car reacts:

- If there's a car not far from yours in the adjacent lane (visible in your side mirror) --> ALC initiates as soon as you put your turn signal on, no matter how fast the car behind is going (which results in a crash if you don't take back manual control / abort ALC)

- If there's a car in your blind spot in the adjacent lane (not visible in your side mirror) --> ALC sometimes initiates despite it might run into the other car as soon as you put your turn signal on. It doesn't do it everytime, but often enough to be dangerous.

- If there's a car in the adjacent lane which is a bit further on the road than yours --> ALC waits for the car to be farther before initiating the lane change.

In other words, ALC is useless at the moment for me if there's some traffic on the road.

For Blind spot detection it actually smart enough to know that a car is in a blind spot and not just next to you.

Attachments

• IMG_1776.jpg
    IMG_1776.jpg
    395.3 KB · Views: 393

A car in your blind spot can always be visible in your side mirror, when you set your side mirror correctly ! You can find a lot of tips in TMC.

Reactions: JohnnyG
500Wh/Mi !!! They were clearly not on a hypermile run!! Is this what AP1 looked like or was this on an AP2 car for sure? I have AP2 and have never seen this (not even when using auto lane change like others have mentioned).
This is definitely AP2 and almost certainly the 2018.5 or 2018.21 betas.It's a Model X, with 8.0 graphics, according to the IC. If that's the case, AP1 shipped on Model X supporting showing trucks vs sedans differently, as well as showing lane markers for nearby lanes. The way this Model X is showing a sedan in place of a truck and black and in an adjacent lane suggests that it's not AP1 behavior.

Reactions: Tjhappel and croman
Here's a really poor quality video of the car display, I guess I need to waste some money on some better rigging for cameras and such, but on a bright note, I do have 4 channels of 900s now, so just need to capture the IC I guess.

Interesting that this video doesn’t show tracking the adjacent vehicles towards the rear of the car like the video posted by @AllSeeingEye earlier. I wonder why the difference.

The 2018.5/7 betas were in the run up to the big NN change in 10.4. Now we have a new beta with seemingly minor/superficial changes to vehicle display. Why would Tesla go through the trouble to release betas for such a trivial change? If only they told us what the development roadmap was so we didn’t need to guess!

Reactions: croman
Here's a really poor quality video of the car display, I guess I need to waste some money on some better rigging for cameras and such, but on a bright note, I do have 4 channels of 900s now, so just need to capture the IC I guess.

So you mentioned there were no NN changes, right?

I did notice towards the end of the video, AP2 wasn't mis-assigning the car in front to a left-offset lane. Is that coincidence, or did they "fix" that bug with 10.4?

Reactions: MelaniainLA
Interesting that this video doesn’t show tracking the adjacent vehicles towards the rear of the car like the video posted by @AllSeeingEye earlier. I wonder why the difference.

We "think" it's do to the size of the vehicle length wise. aka the front camera still see's the front of the truck so it still displays on the side.

And, if you can get me a roadmap I'd really like it, thanks! =).

• Informative
Reactions: croman and TheTron