Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I called and reported this to TSLA yesterday. It nagged me a few times on my drive back from the desert this weekend, even though my hands were on the wheel. I couldn't get the nagging to stop by moving my hands around and squeezing it. They looked at my logs at the exact time I was driving home yesterday and couldn't find it. Makes me wonder how they can report that some of these drivers that were killed didn't have their hands on the wheel when their system and logs seem to be broken.

Squeezing the wheel won't do anything. If your hands are just lightly resting on the wheel they won't be detected. The wheel needs to feel at least a little bit of weight or resistance to "detect" if you have a hand on the wheel. If you get the nag just nudge the wheel a little tiny bit in one direction and it should stop.

After installing 2018.21.9 this morning I lost all of the icons for my radio favorites. They're all just showing a music note or whatever, no way to tell them apart at the moment. I had this happen once before when I did a reboot for another issue a week or two ago. The icons did come back eventually. Pretty annoying...

After installing 2018.21.9 this morning I lost all of the icons for my radio favorites. They're all just showing a music note or whatever, no way to tell them apart at the moment. I had this happen once before when I did a reboot for another issue a week or two ago. The icons did come back eventually. Pretty annoying...

And when I went to go to lunch a short while ago I noticed that all of the radio favorite icons were back. I'm happy this fixed itself but it shouldn't have happened in the first place. I issued a bug report when I first noticed it this morning.

Love 21.9!!!!! Installed yesterday and was testing it out local and highway today. Awesome! Major thing to note, fewer nags if you hold the wheel while driving. They must have increased sensitivity a lot. Awesome performance on highway exits too when max autopilot speed drops on it's own very smoothly. Love the cards behavior. Love the cars in adjacent lanes on UI. Well done tesla!

Reactions: T-Will and EinSV
Went for a drive this morning with 21.9. The gradual deceleration on freeway exits seemed awfully gradual. I felt the need to cancel it and control the speed myself. It did seem to me that acceleration was reduced, but I'm not entirely sure. It might have just been a perception because I was expecting it after reading the reports. In any case, it is what it is and it's still very zippy.

One thing I discovered, but this is probably not new with 21.9, I just never tried it before: When using TACC at a stoplight where there are cars in front of me, it always lags too long before starting to move. But I discovered that I can touch the go pedal to get it to start moving, and then release it and TACC takes over. Touching the go pedal does not cancel TACC or Autosteer.

I'm very happy with the overall feel. I don't know if anything's been tweaked other than what's in the release notes, or if I'm just getting used to it, but overall I'm really happy with the car.

One thing I discovered, but this is probably not new with 21.9, I just never tried it before: When using TACC at a stoplight where there are cars in front of me, it always lags too long before starting to move. But I discovered that I can touch the go pedal to get it to start moving, and then release it and TACC takes over. Touching the go pedal does not cancel TACC or Autosteer.

Yep, this has always been my experience. AP is pretty sluggish to start moving when the cars ahead of you start moving after the light turns green. I will also use the accelerator to get my Model 3 moving faster, especially during rush hour times. Such a slow start after a green light may be fine when you're in the middle of nowhere, but in suburban or urban areas being slow to go when the light turns green is sure to tick off a few people behind you.

• Helpful
Reactions: Les Mann

This has been a bug for me since 2018.18.x and I was really hoping 2018.21.9 would fix it. No dice. Don't be too happy if the icons show up again... they'll surely disappear again sometime soon. Mine come and go, regardless of re-adding, signing into the Tesla Slacker account or my own, or any permutations I've thrown at it.

Nubie audio question: Q1. Is there a way to increase the base audio? On some 'stations' I have to scroll up to full volume. Q2. Is there anyway to 'turn off' the sound system other than turning the volume to 'X'?

I don't know the answer to your question, but this is a related issue: I have a CD that I ripped to my computer long ago. I've put the exact same recording on both my phone and a USB flash drive. In the car, when I'm playing this album from the phone, I have to crank the volume to max and it's still not very loud. But when I play the exact same album from the flash drive, max volume is ear-splitting and I have to crank it down to around 50%, where it's nice and loud.

I don't know the answer to your question, but this is a related issue: I have a CD that I ripped to my computer long ago. I've put the exact same recording on both my phone and a USB flash drive. In the car, when I'm playing this album from the phone, I have to crank the volume to max and it's still not very loud. But when I play the exact same album from the flash drive, max volume is ear-splitting and I have to crank it down to around 50%, where it's nice and loud.

While playing from the phone, try adjusting the volume of the phone bluetooth output up using the volume buttons on the phone. I can adjust the phone volume up such that the volume levels in the car are the same as when playing from the USB interface.

Mike

While playing from the phone, try adjusting the volume of the phone bluetooth output up using the volume buttons on the phone. I can adjust the phone volume up such that the volume levels in the car are the same as when playing from the USB interface.

Mike

Thanks. I'll try that.

Another and more significant issue is that when I'm playing music from the phone, the car does not allow me to search for different playlists. It will only play the most recent thing that phone's Music app was playing. Whereas when playing from the USB stick, it shows me all the albums and I can choose anything that's on the stick.

I would just use the USB drive all the time, but half the time (e.g. when I open the car, put the groceries in, take the cart back and the car locks itself, and then I return to the car and unlock it again) the car forgets that I was playing the USB drive and when I painstakingly go through all the menus to get back to it, it forgets what track I was playing and I have to search out what I want again.

The car's music function is seriously crappy, even though the sound is great once it's playing.

Why can't the car remember the last-used music source/track and default to that???????????????

I can't argue with that. IMO the Tesla media user interface has been lacking since inception...

The media interface on my 2012 Ford Mustang was pretty rock solid. I could play music from my iPhone using either bluetooth or a USB connection, easily tell the car to play a specific playlist on the iPhone using voice commands and it could even display incoming text messages on the touchscreen. Why my 2018 Model 3 basically can't do most of what my Mustang was able to do continues to baffle me.

Reactions: NOLA_Mike
AP nagging: Someone above complained that on very straight roads they would get nagging even with hands on the wheel. I was thinking of this yesterday as I was driving on a straight stretch of freeway, and what I noticed is that even on an extremely straight road, the car is constantly making micro-adjustments on the wheel to stay in the center of the lane. I have both hands on the wheel with the weight of my arms on my hands. This seems to provide enough feedback to satisfy the car.

I can imagine someone holding their arms up so their hands are not supporting any weight, and the car would then not feel their hands. But this seems like an uncomfortable way to drive.

• Helpful
Reactions: SlicedBr3ad
I noticed the AP engagement jerk is gone now. Before if you engaged AP while the car was in hold, it would jerk forward a little bit.

AP nags more frequently but the torque sensor limit seems to have been reduced so it's easy to find a comfortable rest spot for your hand that will satisfy the system.