Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2018.24.1 broke my maps and navigation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

tinm

2020 Model S LR+ Owner
May 3, 2015
New Mexico, USA
Bug report for a 2013 Model S 85 now running 2018.24.1 12dd099.

Literally the moment I turned on the car once firmware 2018.24.1 was successfully installed a few weeks ago, I noticed a problem in the Navigation map on the 17” screen: it wouldn’t load any map imagery. All I saw was the gray grid, and the red arrow where the car was in my garage. If I zoomed way way out, I would see New Mexico, great. But if I zoomed back in, or pressed the button to orient North, it would zoom in and default to an empty grid again.

(Obviously the two gray vertical vars are an artifact of the camera not the 17" Tesla screen):

tsla-map-fail-1.jpg

What I have noticed ever since is very spotty map coverage. It doesn’t matter where, and it is independent of the communications bandwidth at the moment (in the garage I have full blazing wi-fi and the car is plenty happy with it). Around town or on an interstate I usually get 3 to 5 bars of cellular in the car, which prior to 2018.24.1 was always plenty to load maps as I moved through an area.

We recently drove to Denver for a short vacation, and I used the Nav extensively to find places around Denver. What I noticed is that whenever I got closer and closer to a destination, from 10 miles to 1 mile to a few blocks, the Nav would do its thing of auto-zooming to show more detail as I got closer — love that feature. BUT… as it auto-zoomed, it would invariably start losing map detail, and large swaths of the map would just default to gray grid again. By the time I'd arrive somewhere, I was . . . nowhere on the map!

tsla-map-fail-2.jpg

This is the normal behavior with the maps now, ever since I downloaded 2018.24.1. It happens all over the place, anywhere I go. To be completely clear, it happens about 95% of the time. Once in a great while when I am using Nav to get somewhere, it will properly auto-zoom all the way to the destination with correct map detail. But that’s like 5% of the time now. The rest of the time the map is full of empty spaces with no detail.

Is this a known bug? Anyone else seeing this?

Reactions: neroden

Literally the moment I turned on the car once firmware 2018.24.1 was successfully installed a few weeks ago, I noticed a problem in the Navigation map on the 17” screen: it wouldn’t load any map imagery. All I saw was the gray grid, and the red arrow where the car was in my garage. If I zoomed way way out, I would see New Mexico, great. But if I zoomed back in, or pressed the button to orient North, it would zoom in and default to an empty grid again.

(Obviously the two gray vertical vars are an artifact of the camera not the 17" Tesla screen):

View attachment 318403

What I have noticed ever since is very spotty map coverage. It doesn’t matter where, and it is independent of the communications bandwidth at the moment (in the garage I have full blazing wi-fi and the car is plenty happy with it). Around town or on an interstate I usually get 3 to 5 bars of cellular in the car, which prior to 2018.24.1 was always plenty to load maps as I moved through an area.

We recently drove to Denver for a short vacation, and I used the Nav extensively to find places around Denver. What I noticed is that whenever I got closer and closer to a destination, from 10 miles to 1 mile to a few blocks, the Nav would do its thing of auto-zooming to show more detail as I got closer — love that feature. BUT… as it auto-zoomed, it would invariably start losing map detail, and large swaths of the map would just default to gray grid again. By the time I'd arrive somewhere, I was . . . nowhere on the map!

View attachment 318404

This is the normal behavior with the maps now, ever since I downloaded 2018.24.1. It happens all over the place, anywhere I go. To be completely clear, it happens about 95% of the time. Once in a great while when I am using Nav to get somewhere, it will properly auto-zoom all the way to the destination with correct map detail. But that’s like 5% of the time now. The rest of the time the map is full of empty spaces with no detail.

im on the same SW nov 2016 delivery MS60, my maps are greyscale as mentioned elswherre and traffic is slow/no or WAY late in updating Maps regen speed seem OK but was never great

I had the exact same issue on the exact same hardware and firmware version. Ultimately, I did TWO reboots in close succession because after the first one, my ultrasonic sensor chime wouldn't shut up, even though I was nowhere near anything. After the second reboot, my maps now load normally again and I can now zoom in and see the detail down to the street level. Sometimes it bogs/caches a bit and I see gray boxes, but since Wednesday night after the 2x reboots it's been fine. (I also do the binacle or whatever you call the thing above the steering wheel by pressing and holding the two buttons at the same time whenever I reboot the MCU.)

View attachment 318403

View attachment 318404

Yes, it's fixed in 2018.26

Contact the SC and they'll push it to you early.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
FYI I rebooted again and the map and the nav and the auto-zoom all work now!
So it took multiple reboots since the install--not just one--to get a fix.
Rebooting was only a temporary fix for me. The problem came back whenever the maps auto- zoomed in or out... Like when you transition between highways and surface roads.

If the problem comes back for you, pinch to zoom or toggle satellite view on and off... Both made the maps refresh for me and were a lot quicker than rebooting the MCU.

View attachment 318403

View attachment 318404

I had the same problem. I just waited it out. Today the screen is back to normal and google maps displays properly.