Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2018.24.1 firmware rollout?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have most folks here got the update? I haven't received it since it started rolling out later part of June. The 2018.21.9, the current version, autopilot is not usable, regardless to how you hold the driving wheel, the warning always come out every 20 sec or so, very annoying.

I have about 6k now, just made a over 200 miles long trip yesterday, it seems I was not able to get a hand position to satisfy the no-warning requirements. Tried multiple positions around the wheel. Finally I was just giving up, used adaptive cruise ;)

I have about 6k now, just made a over 200 miles long trip yesterday, it seems I was not able to get a hand position to satisfy the no-warning requirements. Tried multiple positions around the wheel. Finally I was just giving up, used adaptive cruise ;)
You know, there are many threads regarding how to "hold" the steering wheel. But basically, you need to apply some force/torque to the steering wheel. There isn't a "touch" sensor on the wheel, but rather, the car senses you moving the wheel slightly. The latest software also has changed the wording (don't remember to what) to clarify this. See Tesla is updating Autopilot’s ‘Hold Steering Wheel’ alert after complaints, says Elon Musk for some background info.

Reactions: PoitNarf
You need to apply very light torque regularly to the steering wheel to keep the AP nags at bay. Changing where you are holiding the wheel won’t do a damn thing if you’re not applying some very light resistance to the wheel. This is why they changed the wording of the AP nag in 2018.24

As for the 2018.24.1 update, not many have it, myself included. If you look at sources such as TeslaFi.com then according to their stats only about 25% of the Model 3 fleet is on 2018.24.1. My Model 3 and most others are still on 2018.21.9 or an even earlier version.

Have most folks here got the update? I haven't received it since it started rolling out later part of June. The 2018.21.9, the current version, autopilot is not usable, regardless to how you hold the driving wheel, the warning always come out every 20 sec or so, very annoying.

If you are receiving the nag warning, then assume that you are doing it wrong.

When the autopilot is on, try turning the car slightly to the right, adding a little pressure, not enough to take it out of autopilot. Right, left, it doesn't matter, it just needs some rotational force. This should be the exact type of force that you use to take it out of autopilot.

It isn't a software issue.

Check out this video by Tesla on how to hold the wheel. I prefer only 1 hand but sometimes I use two like shown in the video. As the wheel naturally turns you just apply slight resistance and if the wheel never moves (rare) you have to apply just a slight amount of turning of the wheel against Auto Steer. Really not a problem. 2018.24.1 does not change the way this is working other then the warning message. My guess it will be this way for some time so best to adjust to it if you want to use AP to it's fullest.
Model 3 Support Videos | Tesla

Checkout TeslaFI for how many people are getting the new firmware version.
TeslaFi.com Firmware Tracker

Great! Thanks.
Check out this video by Tesla on how to hold the wheel. I prefer only 1 hand but sometimes I use two like shown in the video. As the wheel naturally turns you just apply slight resistance and if the wheel never moves (rare) you have to apply just a slight amount of turning of the wheel against Auto Steer. Really not a problem. 2018.24.1 does not change the way this is working other then the warning message. My guess it will be this way for some time so best to adjust to it if you want to use AP to it's fullest.
Model 3 Support Videos | Tesla

Checkout TeslaFI for how many people are getting the new firmware version.
TeslaFi.com Firmware Tracker

Great - another thread about “I can’t figure out how to stop EAP nagging”
Agreed, overkill. Especially love that member who complained a couple weeks ago that his arm hurt, lol. Maybe his butt has sores on it too from sitting, along with eyelid strain having to watch the road.
Sorry, maybe I'm too sinical. It's Monday and I have to wait for updates now because of way more M3s on the road. Feeling lost in the crowd... but a good problem on the whole.

It appears that the fairly prevalent Bluetooth call echo bug may have stopped Tesla from doing a mass rollout of this version (there’s another thread on this: Phone Call Echo). Either that or there is some other bug(s) with it. I’ve seen talk in other threads (Model 3 Software Updates) about 2018.26 coming along soon which will supposedly have a fix for the Bluetooth call echo issue. I doubt more Model 3’s will get 2018.24.1. I certainly don’t expect to get this update on my own Model 3 at this point. Let’s cross our fingers for a new update sometime this week.

Reactions: kbecks13
It appears that the fairly prevalent Bluetooth call echo bug may have stopped Tesla from doing a mass rollout of this version (there’s another thread on this: Phone Call Echo).
My car was delivered with 2018.24.1. The only problems I've noted is that the TPMS system needed to be reset at delivery (was not seeing front driver side tire), the tire pressure warning icon has been on for several days (all 4 tires are high at 47 psi), the backup camera sometimes turns in black for a few seconds and the radio randomly tunes to the first station programmed in my favorites. Guess I'll have to test out the phone and see if I get the echoing.