Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2018.26.1 Firmware - fixed Brake Warning & Vampire Drain

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got mine back from SF SC with upgrade. Seems to have fixed issues that many here have posted about. With the caveat that it has been only two days, no Brake or Washer Fluid warning and Vampire Drain goes away.

Mine used to lose about 0.3 mile per hour when parked overnight (in garage in SF with no monitoring apps). Now zero loss overnight !!

Also SC said they "updated the Battery management system bootloader" so maybe that also helped with drain.

This is good to hear. I have a service appointment scheduled for next Wednesday for this same brake light and washer fluid warning. Hadn't noticed the vampire drain but I will check that out now to see if I suffer from the same thing.

Still a bummer to take my brand new car in for any service even if it ends up just being a simple software update.

I’ve had 2018.26.1 since last Friday and I haven’t had a single brake/washer error since. Also got the BMS update.

Haven’t checked vampire drain though but I’ll keep an eye out for improvements.

Last edited:
@CAM#3 How did you like the SF service center? Debating between SF and Burlingame.

Wonderful experience and well organized at SF SC. Good new loaner ready to go so in and out in 10 min. Helpful service guys.

Pleasant surprise after the disaster that dealing with my ISA / Fremont delivery folks was (no MPA until 24 hrs before delivery, no payment link, 36 hours+ e-mail / VM response from ISA, no acknowledgement / change in balance due even though I proactively figured out how to send money to them via Fed Wire...).

That being said they are no BMW / Porsche / Mercedes in terms of turn around time. Good that they gave me a new Model S loaner as it took them 6 days to load the update / put on the front plate / make two new key.....no wonder that Tesla is running out of cash.

Reactions: paladinfello
I don't think getting a brake/washer error is a big enough deal to take it into the service center. Why bog down the service employees when you can just wait until it's your rollout to 2018.26.1?

In my instance it’s been doing it since April when I took delivery and they had no idea it could be fixed with firmware. The SC spent forty days tearing my car apart trying to fix it before this was identified properly.

I’d imagine that the majority of the 50k Model 3 drivers don’t peruse these message boards and would like to know why they’re getting repeated brake system errors on a brand new car, thus the SC.

Reactions: Atoms
Confirmed here that 2018.26.3 appears to have fixed overnight vampire drain. In the two nights since I've had it, battery percentage has bee the same 12 hours later in the morning after my evening check. Also fixed my windscreen washer and brake fluid warning false positives. I also feel it might have fixed sporadic audio pops when using Bluetooth from my iPhone, but that needs more testing.

A thought for you: change the meter to miles instead of percent for better resolution

That's actually how I have it set... I don't know why I said percentage in my original post!

This is how my battery tracking spreadsheet looks since 2018.26.3:

Screen Shot 2018-08-02 at 20.55.18.png

I screenshot the battery in the morning just before leaving for work, then again in the evening once the kids are in bed. It's crazy to see it not decay at all over night, then during the day today my battery delta exactly matched my odometer delta!! Granted - that one varies, based on temperature, speed, acceleration etc. but it was still nice to see :)

Reactions: SageBrush