Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2018.34.1 Won't let me launch my car into objects

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2018.34.1 was installed on my car last night and during my commute this morning my car would barely accelerate if there was any object/vehicle in front or next to me. These were cars that were turning out of the way or even just accelerating with the car in front of me. It seems the Model 3 won't accelerate unless theres a good distance between itself and any objects. It wouldn't even let me accelerate when there was a tall curb beside the side. When the center screen stopped showing detected objects around the car then it would allow me to accelerate. This "feature" is nearly impossible to drive with in a city.

People gotta stop launching their cars into stores, garages, etc... so that Tesla doesn't need to do things like this. I think its more dangerous for the car not to accelerate when I'm expecting it to. I hope Tesla fixes this soon.
Has anyone else noticed this?

I noticed the same thing on my commute this morning, but I like what I've seen so far. I don't usually use EAP off the highway though. I think I was able to accelerate though with the usual caveat that when in EAP/TACC I had to give more pedal since I wasn't pressing on anything to begin with.

Last edited:
Have you called that in? Seems like a pretty big issue with the update.
Haven't had a chance yet. Just something I noticed on my morning commute.

I noticed the same thing on my commute this morning, but I like what I've seen so far. I don't usually use EAP off the highway though.
This was all manual driving. AP wasn't engaged at any point. As in I pressed the accelerator and the car wouldn't move for a little bit.

• Informative
Reactions: omgwtfbyobbq
Do you have Chill mode turned on?
Nope chill mode is off. Car is in Sport mode

Is this on Autopilot? I didn't notice any difference after last night's update.
Not on AP

I noticed that OP got a P3D. Maybe this update is only for P3D because it is the fastest.
Thats possible. I'll try it in one of the RWD cars if I have time

Just to clarify this is with pretty aggressive driving. If you're not close to any object or not trying to accelerate hard then there won't be any difference. As @Pkmmte said, it feels as if the wheels are slipping and the car can't accelerate, but there was 0% chance my wheels were slipping.

2018.34.1 was installed on my car last night and during my commute this morning my car would barely accelerate if there was any object/vehicle in front or next to me. These were cars that were turning out of the way or even just accelerating with the car in front of me. It seems the Model 3 won't accelerate unless theres a good distance between itself and any objects. It wouldn't even let me accelerate when there was a tall curb beside the side. When the center screen stopped showing detected objects around the car then it would allow me to accelerate. This "feature" is nearly impossible to drive with in a city.

People gotta stop launching their cars into stores, garages, etc... so that Tesla doesn't need to do things like this. I think its more dangerous for the car not to accelerate when I'm expecting it to. I hope Tesla fixes this soon.
Has anyone else noticed this?
No, v34.1 has had no noticeable difference except maybe windshield wipers and I’m not sure about that:)

Nope chill mode is off. Car is in Sport mode

Not on AP

Thats possible. I'll try it in one of the RWD cars if I have time

Just to clarify this is with pretty aggressive driving. If you're not close to any object or not trying to accelerate hard then there won't be any difference. As @Pkmmte said, it feels as if the wheels are slipping and the car can't accelerate, but there was 0% chance my wheels were slipping.
I have a P3D as well.

Second day with this update. It happened again during my morning commute today.

What's weird is that there were no cars directly in front of me this time. I was the second car at a stop light but I was too busy staring at a beautiful Model S across the street that I didn't notice the light had already turned green and the car in front was already 4 car spaces away. I semi-floored it, as I usually do, and notice the artificial slow down. It felt like it was on chill mode for that one specific acceleration period. Of course, I made sure to file a bug report immediately after.

Not sure if it's really meant to stop you from ramming into objects, though. Later during that commute, I squeezed between two cars, leaving just a few inches on each side while traveling at 45mph and my car didn't complain. Might only affect initial acceleration. This is with a RWD Model 3.