Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2018.34.1 Won't let me launch my car into objects

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
cycle to chill mode and then back to sport? Sounds like a bug, maybe this will reset the sport mode.
I'll try but I don't think its a bug since its only there when there are objects in front of the car. I reported something similar to this on my Model S a while ago. Obstacle Detected - Power Reduced
But this seems different because it's very sensitive to anything detected around the car. I never had this issue with my Model S even driving aggressively in traffic.

Just got the 34.1 update yesterday and I did not experience this but I did notice that the rear camera seemed different. It looks like it is clearer or high definition. Also notice that it would change to a blue or purple hue intermittently. That said, i noticed this color change about an hour before sunset and after a rain storm so the light out side was changing as I drove past shaded areas. I Use the rear camera pretty regularly and never noticed this before. NOTE this was just the rear camera. Nav screen was fine.

Reactions: Timmy T.
Had it happen another 3 times on my way back home. Once there was a car going across an intersection and I was going perpendicular to them. When the car passed I tried to accelerate hard but again my car barely moved for a second or so.
Next was I was trying to squeeze between a car and tree and again the car wouldn’t let me accelerate.

Last instance there wasn’t even anything in front of me. It was a completely open intersection but there was a car a few feet away next to me. When the light turned green I tried to launch the car but again nothing. It accelerate as if it was in chill mode for a few moments and then all the power came back.

I have dash cam videos of these situations but it’s just a video of my car not accelerating so nothing much to see.

Tesla really has to do something about this. So far it’s only been annoying but it won’t take too much for this to be dangerous.

I have not experienced this yet and commute on surface streets in stop-and-go traffic. What exact scenario should trigger this behavior? Are you saying if I'm at a stop light and try to accelerate while the car in front of me is still stopped, it won't let my car move at all?

I have not experienced this yet and commute on surface streets in stop-and-go traffic. What exact scenario should trigger this behavior? Are you saying if I'm at a stop light and try to accelerate while the car in front of me is still stopped, it won't let my car move at all?
I don’t know about the others, but in my case I was at a stop light with no cars in front of me.

I uploaded two clips of when it occurred. Both times my foot was completely to the floor (exactly how a Tesla should be driven ;)) so you'll see the car suddenly take off once the computers decided it was safe. You can also hear when the motors when the car begins to take off.
Please don't comment on my driving. Also don't report me to the police :eek:

I also just called Tesla and they submitted a bug report or whatever they do there.

I uploaded two clips of when it occurred. Both times my foot was completely to the floor (exactly how a Tesla should be driven ;)) so you'll see the car suddenly take off once the computers decided it was safe. You can also hear when the motors when the car begins to take off.
Please don't comment on my driving. Also don't report me to the police :eek:

I also just called Tesla and they submitted a bug report or whatever they do there.

It does look like it may have averted a collision with cross-traffic in the second example, but I agree that if I punch it, the car should go--even if I'm facing a brick wall. That kind of responsiveness is needed during normal driving situations sometimes and to have it do anything less is potentially more dangerous than the handful of cases of unintended acceleration that make news each year that this may prevent.

Okay I think I experienced what you are describing. It's not like the car loses power, it's just that pressing the pedal down further and further does not yield more power until you get over 20 MPH or so... There was someone in front of me but I dont think that had anything to do with it.

My 3D got this update and has similar issues. When driving down an unmarked road and there's cars or trucks parallel parked on my right it sees them as obstacles jumping out. Several false alarms the last couple days. Both in my neighborhood, my brother's neighborhood and once on a fairly major street with a car in a turn lane facing me.

Again, just curious what everybody has forward collision warning set to? It’s a configurable option on the 3, yes?
Yes.

By default, Forward Collision Warning is turned on. To turn it off or adjust its sensitivity, touch Controls > Autopilot > Settings > Forward Collision Warning. Instead of the default warning level of Medium, you can turn the warning Off, or you can choose to be warned Late or Early.