Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2018.34.1 Won't let me launch my car into objects

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had it happen another 3 times on my way back home. Once there was a car going across an intersection and I was going perpendicular to them. When the car passed I tried to accelerate hard but again my car barely moved for a second or so.
Next was I was trying to squeeze between a car and tree and again the car wouldn’t let me accelerate.

Last instance there wasn’t even anything in front of me. It was a completely open intersection but there was a car a few feet away next to me. When the light turned green I tried to launch the car but again nothing. It accelerate as if it was in chill mode for a few moments and then all the power came back.

I have dash cam videos of these situations but it’s just a video of my car not accelerating so nothing much to see.

Tesla really has to do something about this. So far it’s only been annoying but it won’t take too much for this to be dangerous.

You have a problem. This is not the normal behavior at least on a RWD with that software.

• Disagree
Reactions: navinsiri
I guess this was a feature Tesla was testing prior to officially adding to v9.0?

Obstacle-Aware Acceleration
Acceleration is automatically limited if an obstacle is detected in front of your vehicle while driving at low speeds. Obstacle-Aware Acceleration can be enabled or disabled in Controls > Autopilot.

Reactions: navinsiri
But I hope it is on by default. It would likely reduce the number of accidents where drivers confuse the accelerator pedal with the brake pedal. Something that happens with every model of car on the road.
It could also be dangerous, e.g. if you want to turn onto an expressway from a stop sign or similar, and the car thinks it sees an obstacle and doesn't let you accelerate ...

• Love
Reactions: Pkmmte